Racechip XLR

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
Colin Lambert

Racechip XLR

Post by Colin Lambert » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:58 am

Well it arrived yesterday and was installed in 10minutes (+the 10 minute electrical 'cooling off time'). As said before it was a bit of a fiddle getting the original plug out of the throttle pedal connector and putting the XLR connector in but apart from that it was a doddle.
Instructions say open the door and lock the car, you CAN'T and therefore the alarm is not set (they say disable the alarm) and leave the car for 10 minutes with the door open. Just make sure there is nothing drawing current apart from the red light on the door. Move the 'key ' out of range, it is about 30feet.
There is a very useful hole at the top right of the 'interior' which is lined with foam and is just the right size to fit 'brain'. If you leave the main cable tied as it arrives, in a loop, there was no need for any cable ties . I did put the sticky backed patches on either side of the 'brain' one to anchor it to the foam and on the front to protect it from the raw steel edge of the panel (se pic)
As far as performance goes. I would agree with others. Sport + is just TOO MUCH!
I think I shall leave mine on 'Race' .
Whichever you use apart from the 'Eco & Eco +' the lag has gone. the two E positions especially the E+ make the car almost undriveable in traffic. it just doesn't GO!
I am leaving the controller where it is until I make up my mind then I will probably tuck it into the small cubby under the light switch. Too much faff to unplug it, although it will remember your setting if you want to disconnect it.
I have only been 4 miles with it but am intending to go on a 30 mile trip cross country + town today so I will see what affect it has on consumption, if any and report back.
I have written to Racechip to see if they will offer any sort of discount to Forum Members for the XLR or any tuning chips.....I await their reply and will update asap!

Black piece nearest camera is the car original plug connected to the 'Brain' 'in' plug.

The 'hidey-hole, specially designed by Skoda to house the XLR 'Brain' (nah- not really!! :lol:

Control fixed using supplied sticky pad. May be removed later.
ModeratorSE L.1.5DSG. Emerald green. S/s spare, Paddles, f&r sensors, rear camera. KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

Sprower

Re: Racechip XLR

Post by Sprower » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:15 pm

Hi Colin,

Glad the fit went well.....and you're right about the lag going (though the effect may vary between our different engines).

As per post on the other thread, mine pretty much lives on the "S+" setting now, with no need to go any higher for normal driving. Having done 90 miles today, on a couple of occasions I turned it back down to the Skoda stock setting and the difference is very noticeable.

Enjoy!
Edition, 2.0 TDI, 190PS, 4x4, DSG. Build Week 22. Quartz Grey, Black Triglavs, Black leather. Front & rear sensors, rear camera, heated screen, Canton, sunroof, towbar, Adaptive CC. :D

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:05 pm

Did a 30 odd mile trip over the Purbeck hills to Swanage. Traffic jams, fast bits, big hills.
I've come to the conclusion that for the 1.4DSG anything above 'S' will cost you in the consumption stakes. Assuming an ordinarily heavy right foot! Overall consumption for the day 32.1 mpg. Which is normal at only 2300 miles on the clock.
I did have it in 'S +' at one point accelerating up a steep hill and it took off like a scalded cat.
Quite took me by surprise.
All this trip with SWMBO & 2 large Lurchers (luckily lying down).
Overall opinion....... Certainly does what it claims to do. You will still get the odd 'hang fire' on the DSG Going up a gear, but I don't think there is anything the average owner can do about that.
I haven't timed it, but it seems to give a much quicker 'off the mark' sprint. But once it opens the throttle to the max. I don't think it is any quicker. That is understandable as it is NOT a performance chip.
If throttle lag is bugging you BUY ONE! (But wait and see if my request for a discount for Forum members comes off. I'll post as soon as I hear from Racechip.)
ModeratorSE L.1.5DSG. Emerald green. S/s spare, Paddles, f&r sensors, rear camera. KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
[color=#00

DaveAldi

Post by DaveAldi » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:15 pm

Nearly 14% off Racechip products at Topcashback
Edition 190 Petrol Blue, area view, trailer assist, F&R sensors, adaptive cruise, travel assist, heated screen & steering wheel with paddles, virtual pedal, Canton, space saver, 5 year warranty

AndyH

Post by AndyH » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:56 am

Listening to all the positive feedback I've bitten the bullet and put an order in to DTUK.

Probably a dumb question but for those who have fitted them, I take it the box overrules the throttle mode setting as per the infotainment? Also does changing from D to S have any effect now?

Sprower

Post by Sprower » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:23 am

AndyH wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:56 am
Listening to all the positive feedback I've bitten the bullet and put an order in to DTUK.

Probably a dumb question but for those who have fitted them, I take it the box overrules the throttle mode setting as per the infotainment? Also does changing from D to S have any effect now?
All the current options remain unchanged, both in terms of the settings in infotainment and also switching between D or S modes via the DSG box (pulling back on the gearstick!).

All the "magic box" does is re-map the throttle curve in whatever mode you are in, reducing / removing the dead spots, in terms of the messages coming from the throttle.

The changes are cumulative......if you have the car in Sport mode, and then on top of that you have the XLR box in one of the top modes (R / R+) it really is responsive (in fact too responsive so I've pretty much settled on S+)
Edition, 2.0 TDI, 190PS, 4x4, DSG. Build Week 22. Quartz Grey, Black Triglavs, Black leather. Front & rear sensors, rear camera, heated screen, Canton, sunroof, towbar, Adaptive CC. :D

AndyH

Post by AndyH » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:32 am

Thanks Sprower that makes sense.

FedEx have told me they will deliver tomorrow so looking forward to that.

I notified my insurer and they have yet to come back to me, I'm anticipating a charge for the 'modification' even though it doesn't alter power output. NZ insurers are (in my opinion) liars charlatans and thieves ($7000 offer for Earthquake damage, 2 year fight, settled for $240,000) so I guess they are getting it back, a little bit at a time !!!

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:57 am

Here is Racechips answer! (In blue , below)
Dear Lunis,
Many thanks for your reply. I am sorry that you cannot off a ‘club discount’.
Many British Insurers do not look at all kindly on performance enhancing electronics (My insurance company refuses to cover cars so fitted)
So I doubt that many people on our forum will order 2 or more products.
Thank you for looking into it for me.
Apparently The Company ‘TOPCASHBACK' will offer a 14% discount on your products, so our members will have to go that way if they want an XLR.
Kind regards,
Colin Lambert.

On 7 Aug 2017, at 08:36, RaceChip | Lunis Ait-Atmane (RaceChip) <support@racechip.zendesk.com> wrote:
RaceChip | Lunis Ait-Atmane (RaceChip)
Aug 7, 09:36 CEST

Dear Colin,

a discount is possible, but not by using a special discount code. When ordering 2 or more products on the same invoice, we can offer a discount.

RaceChip | Lunis Ait-Atmane
Customer Service
[color=#00

Kiwi Kodiaqer

Post by Kiwi Kodiaqer » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:06 am

AndyH wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:56 am

Any reason you chose DTUK over racechip?
Picked up 9th August 2017 2.0 TDI 190 STYLE DSG Black, Triglav wheels. Pleasure to drive

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:18 am

Can I poke my nose into your post?
I chose Racechip over DTUK even though DTUK is £20 cheaper, I did not like the single unit.
On the Racechip, once you have decided what setting you want, you can unplug the control module, also you can see at a glance what it is set at, whereas DTUK just has up/down button.
(I suppose that on the DTUK you could hide the unit once you had decided on setting) 'I didunt fink of dat!!' DUUUH! :lol:
[color=#00

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”