How to get 4G to feed the infotainment/hotspot?

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
erniem

Re: How to get 4G to feed the infotainment/hotspot?

Post by erniem » Sat May 06, 2017 9:21 am

If you haven't got the sim card in the columbus, wouldn't it be better to get something like an EE car WiFi unit and plug it into the rear cigarette lighter socket, freeing the USB slot for something else
Kodiaq 150 TDI SE-L 4x4 DSG
Media Command
3 year Infotainment
Rear heated seats
Lighting pack
Front and Rear sensors

OlivierW11

Post by OlivierW11 » Sat May 06, 2017 5:33 pm

erniem wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 9:21 am
If you haven't got the sim card in the columbus, wouldn't it be better to get something like an EE car WiFi unit and plug it into the rear cigarette lighter socket, freeing the USB slot for something else
Yup that's gonna have to be the solution. The back cigarette lighter was saved for my son's ipad to be honest, I'm gonna have to use the front one 9or the boot?), but it will be a messy affair of visible cables. I'm on the OCD spectrum when it comes to cables... :?
Next: Kodiaq Edition 1.4 TSI in Jungle Green (+pano/ambient/virtual pedal/Canton/Child pack/Heated Wheel w/ Shifters/etc.) Triglav to be repainted black soon... :roll:

KodiaqDna

Post by KodiaqDna » Mon May 08, 2017 7:41 pm

Anyone trying to connect using cars sticks etc tried viewing the online manuals?
Shows how to connect to the Columbus and Amundsen units.
Kodiaq Edition1.4tsi manual awd in quartz grey with black leather, rear view camera with led rear lights, adaptive cruise control, dynamic chassis control, rough road package, front /rear parking sensors, heated steering wheel, heated windscreen/washers.

Alfue

Post by Alfue » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:23 pm

Thanks very much it is the Columbus not sure what SIM card or sdcard to use I am not that up to date with the techno stuff to be honest so any non confusing help would be Appreciated
Thanks Alan

andyvee

Post by andyvee » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:15 pm

Alfue wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:23 pm
Thanks very much it is the Columbus not sure what SIM card or sdcard to use I am not that up to date with the techno stuff to be honest so any non confusing help would be Appreciated
Thanks Alan
SIM Card - a standard size SIM (i.e. not Micro or Nano)

Three do one with 12Gb data allowance that lasts 12 months for £40

SD Cards - a standard size SD, or a micro-SD in an adapter - I've used sizes up to 128Gb OK in previous generation MIB units, format them as ex-FAT or FAT32 on a PC
Kodiaq Edition 2.0 TSi 4x4 DSG Velvet Red with Cream Leather
DCC, ACC, Ventilated seats, Virtual pedal, Heated windscreen, washers, rear seats and leather MFSW, ACC, Ambient lighting, Park assist, Travel assist, Area view, TJA.

Alfue

Post by Alfue » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:22 pm

What sd cards do you recommend for the Columbus also what's the best way to transfer music In to the jukebox I have tried a usb flash drive but no luck I gave a Hugh music collection on my Mac help please I am a novice at all this
Many thanks Alan

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:20 pm

Alfue wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:22 pm
What sd cards do you recommend for the Columbus also what's the best way to transfer music In to the jukebox I have tried a usb flash drive but no luck I gave a Hugh music collection on my Mac help please I am a novice at all this
Many thanks Alan
I believe the maximum 'guaranteed' size of card is 128gb, that said larger may work. Personally I would go for a class 10 card (fastest speed), in theory even using lossless files like FLAC you won't need greater than 5mbs (read that somewhere but forgot where).

You can get 128gb SDXC class 10 card with 80mbs cards for about £40 (Argos was selling a Sandisc one). No idea if it works as I am waiting for my car to be delivered.

Anything above 32gb in capacity will come formatted exFAT as standard which is Mac compatible, if you have a huge music collection then 32mb is not enough even ripped in a lossy format such as MP3. The argument will be about lossless vs lossy but it's essentially a compromise between quality and file size.

I ripped all mine as lossless FLAC so I have the quality and I can downsample in the future if required. Some rightly say that FLAC is a waste of time for most people as they cannot tell the difference between high bit rate MP3 and FLAC unless they are using high end equipment in a controlled environment. MP3's tend to be 25% smaller than FLAC so you get a shed load more on a card.

I don't have a Mac (hate them with a passion) but I believe that they do not natively support FLAC although there are apps available for ripping. ACC, MP4 and M4a are supported by the Columbus system (most likely format in iTunes I believe is M4a or ACC) and also support multichannel. If you have the Swing head unit then I believe it's very limited in CODEC support.

No idea if this helps, might be inaccurate so I will be ready to be contradicted.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Sportline - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey

Sprower

Post by Sprower » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:21 pm

Alfue wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:22 pm
Many thanks Alan
I bought a 64Gb Sandisk SD card from Amazon for a good price. Formatted as FAT32 and then converted about 150 CD's worth of music (FLAC format) using Media Monkey.

As others have posted, you can get more capacity if needed (larger card and/or lower quality format) but that'll do me for now! And with 2 SD card slots, very easy to add more capacity if needed, even without transferring stuff onto a larger card.

1 tip......if you are arranging all your tracks in folders, put 1 track (doesn't matter what) into the root folder if you want to be able to play randomly across all albums / artists rather than just within a folder. You'll also need to select the ".......subfolders" option.

Very happy wth the quality with my Canton system.
Edition, 2.0 TDI, 190PS, 4x4, DSG. Build Week 22. Quartz Grey, Black Triglavs, Black leather. Front & rear sensors, rear camera, heated screen, Canton, sunroof, towbar, Adaptive CC. :D

Savage

Post by Savage » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:21 am

Sprower wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:21 pm
1 tip......if you are arranging all your tracks in folders, put 1 track (doesn't matter what) into the root folder if you want to be able to play randomly across all albums / artists rather than just within a folder. You'll also need to select the ".......subfolders" option.
You don't need to do that, just select random from the screen listing all your album/folders.
I have all mine in folders for artist, then sub folders for each album.
Superb 280 4x4 Sportline in Black Magic.

Ellebees

Post by Ellebees » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:46 pm

I got one of these from amazon and it's good. Went for microSD with adapter as I could also use it in a tablet in the future. Cost a bit more than a straight SD card but worth it.

Used FLAC format and got about 350 cds on it with space for more. Happy with it. No need to put a file in root folder imho. Just take care on folder organisation and consistency and it will work well.

Toshiba Exceria M302 128GB Micro SD Memory Card 90 MB/s 4K - THN-M302R1280EA
Toshiba Exceria M302 128GB Micro
Edition 2.0 TDI 150PS DSG in Petrol Blue / Beige Leather with Rear View Camera, Ambient Lighting & Heated Front/Rear seats. 8-)

Got car 26th June. :P A Happy Bunny