DSG auto gearboxes

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
KodiaqPetrolHead

DSG auto gearboxes

Post by KodiaqPetrolHead » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:08 pm

Here is a comprehensive explanation of the DSG box history and technical explanation.
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/volk ... 88928.html

It's an amazing piece of kit, but has had its problems during evolution. Those being put in the Kodiaq are now considered to be tried & tested.

Those that have wet clutches can require new oil and filter at 40k miles, although there seems to be some Dealer confusion over this. Better safe than sorry IMO.
Business Grey SE-L TSI 180 PS 4x4 DSG with whistles & bells.
Took ownership 6 April '17.

Gizmo68

Re: DSG auto gearboxes

Post by Gizmo68 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:37 am

The 7 speed fitted to the Kodiaq is a newer box than that article (it is now a wet clutch box), it is already used in some Audis so hopefully has already been beta tested!
VCDS & VCP - PM me if you want coding done

KodiaqPetrolHead

Post by KodiaqPetrolHead » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:05 am

EVERYTHING mechanical will fail eventually, we just hope it won't be during our ownership.

In my opinion it's worth understanding a little about how these DSGs work, and use them sympathetically.

They are essentially a manual box, but the clutch(s) and selectors are moved by clever servos, controlled by electronics.

So bearing in mind that the power is going through multi-plate clutches and NOT a fluid filled torque converter -
Don't creep along "slipping" the clutch with foot on brake. Hang back and then crawl in 1st gear.
Don't "launch" start with foot on accelerator & brake.
Don't change up or down at full power.
Generally use box in auto mode - it's designed to be kind to itself.

- And get oil & filter changed at 40k miles. The clutches can be renewed, but the box has to be taken out - I dread to think how many £s.

Hoysaln

Post by Hoysaln » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:11 pm

I had a 6 speed DSG in my previous Passat. It takes a little getting used to but shifts are much slicker than with a slush box.

Main complaint from Mrs was moving off from stand-still as the initial acceleration can be harsh compared with a manual or slush box auto. Basically the clutch isn't ridden at all when you accelerate and you get full torque to wheels a lot quicker so it pulls away with a sudden surge. I think the trick is to allow the car to start creeping forwards and then gently apply gas.

Now looking forward to ditching my current slush box and going back to DSG in my new Kodiaq..
Kodiaq Edition 4x4 190 PS, moon white, black leather. Ordered 12 December 2016, built week 17/2017, delivered 25 May 2017.

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:07 pm

Not all Kodiaqs have the 7 speed DSG. The 1.4 150hp 2WD has the 6 speed.
ModeratorEdition .1.5DSG. Petrol Blue. S/s spare, Cream leather KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

KodiaqPetrolHead

Post by KodiaqPetrolHead » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:42 pm

Getting away from stationary:

Took my nephew for a spin yesterday. He is a Police armed response driver, and they use BMWs with DSG. He says there is NO way of getting away from stationary smoothly if you're in a hurry. Just ease down on accelerator until it's rolling "and then floor it!"

He was Very impressed with the Kodi incidentally, particularly the LED headlights - best he's ever seen.

KodiaqPetrolHead

Post by KodiaqPetrolHead » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:19 pm

In my continuing intrigue with the DSG box I came across this thread -http://forums.vwvortex.com/#/topics/5989734?page=1

Probably more info and technique than most of us K drivers will ever use, but interesting how little OFFICIAL guidance there is.

Garowe

Post by Garowe » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:26 am

Saw in a previous post about not 'launching' the car with your foot on accelerator and the brake but discovered after watching this vid; https://youtu.be/FvsddBB-100 that the car has a Launch Control function. This seemed to give the 1.4 150bhp petrol model a 0-62 time of 8.6 secs - over a second faster than he was expecting!

KodiaqPetrolHead

Post by KodiaqPetrolHead » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:16 pm

Garowe wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:26 am
Saw in a previous post about not 'launching' the car with your foot on accelerator and the brake but discovered after watching this vid; https://youtu.be/FvsddBB-100 that the car has a Launch Control function. This seemed to give the 1.4 150bhp petrol model a 0-62 time of 8.6 secs - over a second faster than he was expecting!
Damn that's brutal! Just tried it, and as far as I'm concerned it has no place in everyday driving.
I have done these starts in auto-gearbox cars with torque converter, and this DSG box is very different.
The torque converter uses all the stalled energy to stir fluid, which will get hot and destroy itself if you hold the brake on full throttle long enough!
The DSG slips clutch and then throttles-off after a few seconds if the brake isn't released. At full throttle the gear changes are swift but less than "smooth".
Won't be doing it again.
Oh - just over 8 seconds: me, some stuff in the back, and a full tank of fuel.

Zach

Post by Zach » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:53 pm

KodiaqPetrolHead wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:16 pm
Garowe wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:26 am
Damn that's brutal! Just tried it, and as far as I'm concerned it has no place in everyday driving.
I have done these starts in auto-gearbox cars with torque converter, and this DSG box is very different.
The torque converter uses all the stalled energy to stir fluid, which will get hot and destroy itself if you hold the brake on full throttle long enough!
The DSG slips clutch and then throttles-off after a few seconds if the brake isn't released. At full throttle the gear changes are swift but less than "smooth".
Won't be doing it again.
Oh - just over 8 seconds: me, some stuff in the back, and a full tank of fuel.
Exactly what I'm looking for!
BW35 2019 Kodiaq RS 5 seater in Brilliant Silver + Ignite rims, Sunroof, Direct TPMS, Acoustic Windows