Electric Tow Bar

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Kodiaq
Wgg1848

Electric Tow Bar

Post by Wgg1848 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:28 pm

Had a job to do which required the tow bar.
Activated the switch in the boot.....nothing appeared.
Had not used the tow bar since February, so looked underneath, knocked it, nothing happened.
So turned to the ever useful WD40 magic in a spray tin.
Two squirts, waited 2 minutes......pulled the switch and bingo, back in business.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
1.4 TSI 150 Edition 4x4 5dr DSG Business Grey

ashcheshkodowner

Re: Electric Tow Bar

Post by ashcheshkodowner » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:49 pm

Did you spray any particular part of the tow bar mechanism as I have the same problem? Tow bar will not engage with the button.

blakey7

Post by blakey7 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:01 pm

I had the same problem when i first bought the car. It was a ex demo car and the tow bar had never been used. First time i tried nothing happened after a few times the bar dropped down and has worked OK since but i get the impression that if not used for a while it does not want to drop down so may be worth trying it every few weeks to keep it moving. Looked at spraying some WD but the mech looks like it is all enclosed so would be useful to know where you sprayed.

SinglePointSafety

Post by SinglePointSafety » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:08 pm

Even from new, my towbar often takes 2 presses of the button for it to appear, never more than 2 so I'm fairly relaxed about it until it becomes >2

So yes, if anyone knows exactly where to spray the lube, please let us know
Kodiaq Edition 2.0TSi Business Grey, with some extras

Kenny R

Post by Kenny R » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:29 pm

WD40 is hopeless as a lubricant, I would be looking for something more suitable and long lasting.
Candy White 2.0 TSi SE L 7 seat. Heated windscreen/ nozzles, kids pack, front rear parking sensors, reversing camera and spare wheel, Milotec rear bumper inserts.
And for the winter months: 17” Black alloys with 215x65x17 Nokian WR SUV3 winter tyres.

Wgg1848

Post by Wgg1848 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:24 pm

Hi Guys
Sorry for not replying sooner, just sprayed under the car where the tow bar is seated.
Why do you say it is useless as a lubricant?
I did not realise just how many options there are with WD variants, recently went to get a replacement tin only to be met with a shelf load of different types.
Not being so technically minded I stuck with what I had used previously.
I did notice on the tin that the manufacturers were asking to send them the uses we were putting the spray to.
1.4 TSI 150 Edition 4x4 5dr DSG Business Grey

Kenny R

Post by Kenny R » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:32 pm

Wgg1848 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:24 pm
Hi Guys
Sorry for not replying sooner, just sprayed under the car where the tow bar is seated.
Why do you say it is useless as a lubricant?
I did not realise just how many options there are with WD variants, recently went to get a replacement tin only to be met with a shelf load of different types.
Not being so technically minded I stuck with what I had used previously.
I did notice on the tin that the manufacturers were asking to send them the uses we were putting the spray to.
WD40 does a reasonable job at water dispersal, that’s what the WD stands for if you didn’t already know.
As a lubricant, as said it’s pretty useless as it evaporates and has no long term lubricating
properties.
Candy White 2.0 TSi SE L 7 seat. Heated windscreen/ nozzles, kids pack, front rear parking sensors, reversing camera and spare wheel, Milotec rear bumper inserts.
And for the winter months: 17” Black alloys with 215x65x17 Nokian WR SUV3 winter tyres.