Three Data Sim

All Skoda Kodiaq related discussions
Post Reply
Kat129
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:19 am
Location: Bournemouth, Dorset

Three Data Sim

Post by Kat129 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:03 am

In anticipation of my car arriving later today (yay) I bought a pre pay sim from Three. 1GB initially with 200MB free every month.

I need to register the sim for the free data. I thought I could do it online but it seems to need to be done from the device

Am I able to do this from inside the car or do I need to put it inside another device first to activate it?

Has anyone done this?
Skoda Kodiaq SE L. 5 Seats. 1.4 TSI Automatic.

Deleted User 2278

Re: Three Data Sim

Post by Deleted User 2278 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:09 am

Kat129 wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:03 am
In anticipation of my car arriving later today (yay) I bought a pre pay sim from Three. 1GB initially with 200MB free every month.

I need to register the sim for the free data. I thought I could do it online but it seems to need to be done from the device

Am I able to do this from inside the car or do I need to put it inside another device first to activate it?

Has anyone done this?
I'm the first to admit I don't use mobile technology in cars as I find it too distracting but why do this when you can simply pair your phone with the car using BlueTooth?

FoxtrotAlpha
Posts: 828
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:57 am

Re: Three Data Sim

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:26 am

Your car has the Columbus Infotainment system, there is a SIM card slot on the unit in the glovebox, use that.

You can connect via your phone but unless you have two phones or a phone with two SIM card slots (rare) then it will not help you, you may as well just used your normal phone and connect via hotspot or rSAP.

I have not used the SIM card slot in the car as I used rSAP (not all phones use rSAP so anyone wanting to use it should check compatibility on the Skoda website). The dealer should be able to help you set it up.

I no longer both with data connection in the car unless I'm checking for updates, the online Skoda connect portal is pretty pants really. Not worth the effort. Just to remind you that you do not need a data connection for the app to work.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Sportline - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey

Deleted User 2278

Re: Three Data Sim

Post by Deleted User 2278 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:30 am

FoxtrotAlpha wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:26 am
Your car has the Columbus Infotainment system, there is a SIM card slot on the unit in the glovebox, use that.

You can connect via your phone but unless you have two phones or a phone with two SIM card slots (rare) then it will not help you, you may as well just used your normal phone and connect via hotspot or rSAP.

I have not used the SIM card slot in the car as I used rSAP (not all phones use rSAP so anyone wanting to use it should check compatibility on the Skoda website). The dealer should be able to help you set it up.

I no longer both with data connection in the car unless I'm checking for updates, the online Skoda connect portal is pretty pants really. Not worth the effort. Just to remind you that you do not need a data connection for the app to work.
Is the data connection just to update the infotainment software? If so and you can connect using your phone you might be able to park next to your house, connect the phone to the car, then connnect your phone to your wireless broadband router and not use any data at all.

FoxtrotAlpha
Posts: 828
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:57 am

Re: Three Data Sim

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:52 am

Silverbear wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:30 am
FoxtrotAlpha wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:26 am
Your car has the Columbus Infotainment system, there is a SIM card slot on the unit in the glovebox, use that.

You can connect via your phone but unless you have two phones or a phone with two SIM card slots (rare) then it will not help you, you may as well just used your normal phone and connect via hotspot or rSAP.

I have not used the SIM card slot in the car as I used rSAP (not all phones use rSAP so anyone wanting to use it should check compatibility on the Skoda website). The dealer should be able to help you set it up.

I no longer both with data connection in the car unless I'm checking for updates, the online Skoda connect portal is pretty pants really. Not worth the effort. Just to remind you that you do not need a data connection for the app to work.
Is the data connection just to update the infotainment software? If so and you can connect using your phone you might be able to park next to your house, connect the phone to the car, then connnect your phone to your wireless broadband router and not use any data at all.
No there is other stuff on there. You can remotely send destinatiion information to the satnav (from the app) although it's far quicker putting it in by hand. There are news feeds and also I think it will show you things like fuel prices at nearby petrol stations.

There is no reason, signal dependant, why you cannot connect to you home wifi. The few times I have used it to check maps and to see what it was I have just connected using my phone as mobile hotspot.

Basically things that can be done on a phone far easier and quicker. It's subjective but it's not much to write home about. It would be interesting to see if anyone here finds it remotely helpful.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Sportline - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey

User avatar
Kenny R
Posts: 491
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:56 pm
Location: East Lothian

Re: Three Data Sim

Post by Kenny R » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:50 pm

When I used Skoda Connect, I had a 12mth prepaid data sim from 3, and it worked straight away. I did have to register with My3 to keep tabs on data usage etc, but this was simple and seem to remember just reading confirmation text from 3 on unit in car and using code to register online.
Candy White 2.0 TSi SE L 7 seat. Heated windscreen/ nozzles, kids pack, front rear parking sensors, reversing camera and spare wheel, Milotec rear bumper inserts.
And for the winter months: 17” Black alloys with 215x65x17 Nokian WR SUV3 winter tyres.

philhib1964
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:58 pm

Re: Three Data Sim

Post by philhib1964 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:16 pm

Just had this issue with EE sim card and after many hours of fiddling around it ended up being quite simple. Check page 128/129 of manual.
1. Insert new SIM into SIM card slot. You can then go to settings on the infotainment system and check Network to see if card is being read.
2. Next - Go into infotainment system settings and then go to the WLAN settings, (which comes factory set with a random Network Key (Password)). Click on Network Key (Password) and I recommend you change the Network Key (Password) to a more simple password, which is easily remembered. Then REMEMBER to press SAVE. Your password for Wi-Fi will now be saved.
3. Next - On your phone you need to download the app for your chosen network so you can register your SIM number.
4. Once you've done that go to your phone's settings for WiFi and search for new devices. You should see Skoda *** comes up, which will be your car.
5. Click to connect to the car's Wi-Fi and it will ask for your password (enter the one you created at step 2). Your phone's Wi-Fi should now connect to the car's WLAN and you will be able to see this if you check your phone's Wi-fi connection.
6. Now you are on the car's Wi-Fi use your phone to go to the App for your network, if you haven't already signed up you may need to do so and then you can register a new device or activate a new device. To activate a new device insert your SIM card's number and it should then confirm the SIM is activated. With EE it was instant and the SIM worked straight away. Job done.
7. Once you have the App you can go on at random times to check how much data you use. This is good for the future as it will give you a good idea what data package you may be best suited to.
8. Also, depending on what monthly usage you have signed up for if you have anyone in the car that wants to connect to the car's Wi-Fi when you are out and about they simply search for Skoda on their phone and when prompted insert the password you created at step 2. Simples.
Hope this helps.
Sunny Gosport UK - Kodiaq SE L (7 Seater) 1.4 TSi 150 PS 4x4 in Petrol Blue & Two Dalmatians. :D :shock:

User avatar
Kevinthepenguin
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:21 pm
Location: Oxford-ish

Re: Three Data Sim

Post by Kevinthepenguin » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:49 pm

Kenny R wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:50 pm
When I used Skoda Connect, I had a 12mth prepaid data sim from 3, and it worked straight away. I did have to register with My3 to keep tabs on data usage etc, but this was simple and seem to remember just reading confirmation text from 3 on unit in car and using code to register online.
I did exactly the same, albeit for 6 months rather than 12. Worked off its own back, was great (until my daughter decided to listen to her music online and used up all the data :roll: :roll: !)
2017 SKODA KODIAQ EDITION TDI 150 4WD, 7 seats, 1968CC Diesel, 5DR, Manual, Magnetic brown

Post Reply