Kodiaq Towbar electrics

All Skoda Kodiaq related discussions
Johnbew

Kodiaq Towbar electrics

Post by Johnbew » Tue May 05, 2020 11:49 am

I’m trying to fit a bypass relay to my 2017 1.4 petrol Kodiaq. The instructions say run an independent power lead from the battery to the boot for the relay. I have the wire through the car behind trim panels, but it is proving impossible to get it through the bulkhead to the battery. Has anyone done this before or is there a power source in the already in the boot.

Johnbew

Re: Kodiaq Towbar electrics

Post by Johnbew » Wed May 06, 2020 6:08 pm

I have now completed this task. As you look into the engine bay, behind the battery there is a large grommet where the harness passes through you can’t get through this because of the insulation on the other side. However just to the left of it, there is another grommet about 25mm diameter. Push a 1m length of stiff wire through it, (I used gardener’s stiff galvanised wire) push your hand up behind the glove box and you will just feel the end of the wire. Pull some of it down and tape the new wire to it. Now pull the stif wire back into the engine bay and the new wire with it. Job done, your through the bulk head and ready to connect to the battery. This job has been a real challenge, but an independent fitter was going to charge over £500 this cost me £104 from eBay for the Towbar and electrics. Everything is working fine now and I have a great sense of self satisfaction. I only want to pull a small box trailer now and then. 😜👍

Kenny R

Re: Kodiaq Towbar electrics

Post by Kenny R » Wed May 06, 2020 7:39 pm

So have you done any coding to extend the lamp out monitoring to include the trailer, to inhibit the rear fog lamp when trailer fitted, to change the flasher rate when trailer attached, to show the trailer on the PDC screen when reverse selected and to adapt the ECS when trailer attached?
Also there have been many reports of damage being caused to the BCM when using bypass relays on modern can bus systems.
Candy White 2.0 TSi SE L 7 seat. Heated windscreen/ nozzles, kids pack, front rear parking sensors, reversing camera and spare wheel, Milotec rear bumper inserts.
And for the winter months: 17” Black alloys with 215x65x17 Nokian WR SUV3 winter tyres.