New to the Skoda Kodiaq Forums? Introduce yourself here
Steven.T

Post by Steven.T » Fri May 01, 2020 9:45 pm

Hi, new here.
Already been reading a few bits so decided to join.
Coming from a LR Freelander 2 which I absolutely loved so the Kodiaq has a lot to live up to, but I'm already impressed.
Had this 190TDI Sportline just over a month or so, got it the week before lockdown and its only done 100 mile since! Initially wanted a race blue but I really like the silver too!

IMAG6427.jpg

Colin Lambert

Re: New member

Post by Colin Lambert » Sat May 02, 2020 10:30 am

Steven,
Welcome to the Forum and to Kodiaq ownership. Hopefully your Kodiaq will not spend any time in the dealer's workshop ;) Not that I could possibly comment on another manufacturers products! :lol: :lol: :lol:
ModeratorEdition .1.5DSG. Petrol Blue. S/s spare, Cream leather KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

Steven.T

Post by Steven.T » Sat May 02, 2020 3:09 pm

Cheers Colin, to be honest, the Freelander was very reliable. It never actually broke down on me, an only ever needed a fault fixing once except from the usual things like clutch etc. If the Skoda can keep up with that I'll be well happy!

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Sat May 02, 2020 8:59 pm

I'm glad to hear it. I was only joking as there have been a few here and on the Karoq forum who have either had or test driven a LR and either changed to (usually because of constant problems) or decided on a Skoda.
You were obviously very lucky. I must admit I have had 4 LRs SIII 108, SIII90, October 98 Disco (one of the very first) and a 'Ford' Disco in the very short time Ford owned LR. Not one fault from any of the. Sadly now, LR & 'Jagwar' are very near the bottom of the reliability surveys.
I'm sure you will love your Kodiaq.
ModeratorEdition .1.5DSG. Petrol Blue. S/s spare, Cream leather KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

Steven.T

Post by Steven.T » Sat May 02, 2020 9:22 pm

Yeah, The Freelander was ten years old and my localy Indy garage was very keen to tell me they were the most reliable LR made.
Did like the look of the Disco Sports but I've heard too many horror stories about them and the prices just wasn't right compared to the kodiaq.
Looking forward to doing some miles in the Skoda, I can't believe how smooth the autobox is!

Silverbear

Post by Silverbear » Sun May 03, 2020 11:51 am

Great looking car. Silver is the best colour. Mine is silver as was the car before it, the car before that and the one before that. My next car will likely be silver too but that is a decade off I hope. Not too morbid like grey or black and not too "out there" like red or blue although that race blue does look appealing, in moderation of course.
SE (5 seats) 1.5 4x4 DSG, factory tow bar, drive mode selection, reversing camera, rough road package, folding door mirrors, 215/65R17 spare wheel.

Silverbear

Post by Silverbear » Sun May 03, 2020 11:55 am

Steven.T wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 3:09 pm
Cheers Colin, to be honest, the Freelander was very reliable. It never actually broke down on me, an only ever needed a fault fixing once except from the usual things like clutch etc. If the Skoda can keep up with that I'll be well happy!
Usual things like clutch? I've never had a clutch go wrong in 35 years except two cars ago when the clutch went at 140,000+ miles. Bit disappointed really, I was hoping to get the clutch to 200K miles but it was not to be. It was a VW so I hope to get the Kodiaq clutch to at least 140K miles.
SE (5 seats) 1.5 4x4 DSG, factory tow bar, drive mode selection, reversing camera, rough road package, folding door mirrors, 215/65R17 spare wheel.

Steven.T

Post by Steven.T » Sun May 03, 2020 6:24 pm

To be honest the clutch didn't go wrong as such, but it started slipping when you floored it at about 2500rpm. Probably would have lasted years but I got it replaced as I was doing a fair bit of towing and off road at the time

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Sun May 03, 2020 7:03 pm

Silverbear wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 11:55 am
Steven.T wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 3:09 pm
Usual things like clutch? I've never had a clutch go wrong in 35 years except two cars ago when the clutch went at 140,000+ miles. Bit disappointed really, I was hoping to get the clutch to 200K miles but it was not to be. It was a VW so I hope to get the Kodiaq clutch to at least 140K miles.
I had a Freelander many years ago and to be fair it was OK. I don’t believe Freelanders have issues with the clutch which cannot be said for the Discovery Sport. I know of two owners who have had clutch problems with their Sports, both burnt out.

Apart from quality issues with Land Rover the pricing is eye watering to the point of being offensive. Not just the purchase / lease pricing but also servicing and parts. To put this into context I am on a contract hire with Skoda and any additional mileage will be charged at 6.9p +VAT per mile, if I went to LR they would charge 29p +vat per mile. I cannot see how they can justify such a difference.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Sportline - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey

Steven.T

Post by Steven.T » Sun May 03, 2020 8:17 pm

FoxtrotAlpha wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 7:03 pm

Apart from quality issues with Land Rover the pricing is eye watering to the point of being offensive. Not just the purchase / lease pricing but also servicing and parts. To put this into context I am on a contract hire with Skoda and any additional mileage will be charged at 6.9p +VAT per mile, if I went to LR they would charge 29p +vat per mile. I cannot see how they can justify such a difference.
This is what one of my worries was. The Freelander although reliable at the time was ten years old and it just seemed like one day it would cost me money. I fancied a Disco 4 but the thought of an engine blowing and costing me 8k was a no go. But I still needed something to get me off a grassy field or down a rough track and tow trailers. Think the Kodiaq should be able to cope with them!