POSSIBLE LOW BATTERY ADVANCED WARNING?

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
Old and Grumpy

POSSIBLE LOW BATTERY ADVANCED WARNING?

Post by Old and Grumpy » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:33 pm

Now here's something to think about.

Last evening I noticed that my Kodiaq's alarm/immobiliser light was not flashing, (the little red light in the front panel of the driver's door). :(

I used the remote to lock the car, still no response from the red light, so I thought something must be unlocked. I went round the car and made sure that all doors, taigate and bonnet were securely closed and tried the remote again. Still no response from the red light. :? I made a mental note to report it to my dealer when the car goes in for its first service, now due but delayed due to Covid-19.

This morning I used the car to pop into town for the weekly shop. When I got into the car I realised that I had not unplugged my dashcam from the cigar lighter socket last time I arrived home in the car, so the camera had been running for 10 days or more. :roll: No problem, the car started fine and I drove 25 miles to the supermarket and back. :D When I got home I unplugged the dashcam, (not making that mistake again), and locked the car. To my surprise :o the red light responded and displayed its usual intermittent flashing to confirm that the locks, alarm and immobiliser were activated.

So my question is this; does the lack of a response from the red light when the remote is used indicate that the battery may be somewhat depleted? :?: If that is the case it could be a useful indicator that the battery needs charging well before the battery has insufficient power to start the car. :idea:

Any technical experts out there who can shed light on the situation?
2018 Kodiaq SE 1.4 TSI, 2WD, manual gearbox, 5 seater, Petrol Blue, absolutely standard, no extra toys, (92Kw more than enough for my needs), Leicestershire. :D

old man

Re: POSSIBLE LOW BATTERY ADVANCED WARNING?

Post by old man » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:54 am

I don't have an answer to your question I'm afraid, although I'm surprised that thus far, nobody else does either.
I've taken recently to switching off the interior motion sensor when I lock the car. I wondered if you were doing the same and maybe it was that, that deactivated your red light, but it wasn't as I've checked mine.
However, (and I stand to be corrected here) I read or was told that putting a different voltage through an LED bulb (such as those in mobile phones) will change the colour of the light. e.g. the same bulb in your mobile phone will emit a different colour depending on what notification the phone is giving you.
So I wonder if you're correct in your assumption, that as the voltage in your battery lessens, you red light goes out. You sure it's not flashing blue ? :?

Very observant of you to notice the light wasn't flashing. My battery has been depleted enough twice to not have enough juice to start the car, but I've never noticed if my red light had stopped flashing. Not so easy in daylight I guess.

I find it rather annoying that even when the battery is drained enough to prevent the engine starting, the door mirrors will still swing out, the electric tailgate will still open and the DRLs come on as soon as the ignition is switched on and all this before you discover that the bloody thing won't start.
If electronics in modern cars are so clever and necessary, why doesn't the brain shut down the unnecessary peripheries until the engine is started ??

Old and Grumpy

Post by Old and Grumpy » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:18 am

In response to your "change of colour" idea, no the light was definitely completely out, no response at all when the remote button was pressed and no flashing after that.

The reason that I noticed in the first place was that my wife insists that the cars are parked on the drive in such a way that she can check the red lights are flashing from the bedroom window at bedtime. She distrusts modern technology more than you and I do! :lol:
2018 Kodiaq SE 1.4 TSI, 2WD, manual gearbox, 5 seater, Petrol Blue, absolutely standard, no extra toys, (92Kw more than enough for my needs), Leicestershire. :D

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:52 am

Can't comment on the non flashing alarm light BUT.... I would suggest that you get a cable for your dashcam with a USB plug on the end and plug it into the USB female on the centre console. for two reasons.
1. The 12v socket (clue is in the name) may well fry your camera as most run on FIVE volts. I made this mistake TWICE! Just assumed the cameras were cheap cr@p then discovered the 5 volt requirement!! DUUUH!
Check the camera blurb that came with it. If it is the standard FIVE volts, your camera has, in my experience, a life expectancy of about 4 months Max! 12 into 5 does NOT go as far as dashcams go!
2.The USB socket is FIVE volts and IS IGNITION CONTROLLED. So you don't have to remember to unplug the (killer?) 12V.
ModeratorEdition .1.5DSG. Petrol Blue. S/s spare, Cream leather KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

Old and Grumpy

Post by Old and Grumpy » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:09 am

Colin Lambert wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:52 am
Can't comment on the non flashing alarm light BUT.... I would suggest that you get a cable for your dashcam with a USB plug on the end and plug it into the USB female on the centre console. for two reasons.
1. The 12v socket (clue is in the name) may well fry your camera as most run on FIVE volts. I made this mistake TWICE! Just assumed the cameras were cheap cr@p then discovered the 5 volt requirement!! DUUUH!
Check the camera blurb that came with it. If it is the standard FIVE volts, your camera has, in my experience, a life expectancy of about 4 months Max! 12 into 5 does NOT go as far as dashcams go!
2.The USB socket is FIVE volts and IS IGNITION CONTROLLED. So you don't have to remember to unplug the (killer?) 12V.
Thanks Colin, but the plug that was issued with the dashcam is designed to plug into the 12 volt socket and deliver the correct voltage to the dashcam. I am loathe to cut it off and replace with a USB plug because the cable will have more than just two cores and I wouldn't know which wires to connect to what. I can live with having to unplug the camera when I get home, especially as, in normal times, it will rarely be more than a couple of days it will be left plugged in if I do forget to unplug.

Incidentally, I didn't realise that the USB socket was ignition controlled. Useful to know.

old man

Post by old man » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:16 am

For what it's worth, my current Apeman sat nav is 3 years old and has been plugged into a 12V socket all that time and is still going strong (now there's the kiss of death !).

Also for O and G; I didn't like unplugging my sat nav after every journey, so I bought a double 12V socket adaptor that plugs into the car 12V port. Both ports on the adaptor have a small on/off plunger switch that is much easier to operate that having to pull out the plug. It also gives you the opportunity to plug another appliance into it if needed. Of course, you still have to remember to switch it off, it's just easier to do. It may not suit you though.

old man

Post by old man » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:29 am

Old and Grumpy wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:18 am
In response to your "change of colour" idea, no the light was definitely completely out, no response at all when the remote button was pressed and no flashing after that.

The reason that I noticed in the first place was that my wife insists that the cars are parked on the drive in such a way that she can check the red lights are flashing from the bedroom window at bedtime. She distrusts modern technology more than you and I do! :lol:
I probably didn't explain myself very well. I was sort of agreeing that you're correct and lack of power may go further than changing the light colour and may switch it off as you said. It was only speculation and you'll probably find it's a dicky bulb :(

Your wife must have Aspergers worse than me, surely she can think of something better to do at bedtime ;)

As for distrusting modern technology, I probably don't distrust it as much as some here think that us old'uns do. However, I do think much of it is unnecessary and over complicated, but if it makes life easier for us, works reliably and is within the same price bracket as the manual equivalent, then I'm okay with it.