Front grill

All Skoda Kodiaq related discussions
RodB
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:42 pm
Location: Dover

Front grill

Post by RodB » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:59 pm

Is there a chrome front grill available for the kodiaq I think it might look better than the black.
SKODA KODIAQ SE TSI 150 4WD (1.4 litre) Petrol Blue

FoxtrotAlpha
Posts: 782
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:57 am

Re: Front grill

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:42 pm

RodB wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:59 pm
Is there a chrome front grill available for the kodiaq I think it might look better than the black.
Apart from the subjectivity of improving the aesthetics the front radar emitter is mounted behind the front grill, I would guess that having a metalised grill would have a detrimental affect of that system. A bit of mud or snow seems to annoy it.

In terms of making the Kodiaq look better, this is my personal view, no, no and no again. It would make it look like a 1977 Austin Allegro Vanden Plas. One reason we went for the Sportline rather than Edition or L&M when renewing the Kodiaq was it has very little external chrome, for me chrome makes it look dated and like an old mans car. Personal view that many old men on here will disagree with... before they do, I’m no spring chicken either... just not stuck in the 70’s when chrome was all the rage.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Sportline - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey

User avatar
Zach
Posts: 950
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:55 am
Location: Waikato, New Zealand

Re: Front grill

Post by Zach » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:54 am

I think you can get the L&K one from Superskoda

Image
BW35 2019 Kodiaq RS 5 seater in Brilliant Silver + Ignite rims, Sunroof, Direct TPMS, Acoustic Windows

FoxtrotAlpha
Posts: 782
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:57 am

Re: Front grill

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:31 am

Zach wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:54 am
I think you can get the L&K one from Superskoda

Image
I may have misunderstood the question but I was under the impression they wanted the whole grill chrome and not just the trim, i.e. the centre section in front of the radar pod.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Sportline - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey

User avatar
rsk289
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:32 am
Location: Cambridgeshire

Re: Front grill

Post by rsk289 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:08 pm

Hmm....
Nothing wrong with chrome. This has an abundance of chrome, and lives in the garage next to the Skoda:

Misson 15.jpg

...but as I'm now the wrong side of 65, I guess it's an old man's car.

More seriously, my Kodiak is black and has the chrome pack. The grille just has a chrome outer edge strip, the rest is black. I wouldn't want chrome vertical strakes - too much 'US SUV' for my taste. The main side window frame is also chrome, but the wheels are black Triglavs with the machined surface. Just the right balance in my view.
2019 Kodiak 2.0TSi, DSG, Magic Black with matching black Triglavs, panoramic sunroof (not an L&K), factory towball

FoxtrotAlpha
Posts: 782
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:57 am

Re: Front grill

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:50 am

rsk289 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:08 pm
Hmm....
Nothing wrong with chrome. This has an abundance of chrome, and lives in the garage next to the Skoda:

Misson 15.jpg

...but as I'm now the wrong side of 65, I guess it's an old man's car.

More seriously, my Kodiak is black and has the chrome pack. The grille just has a chrome outer edge strip, the rest is black. I wouldn't want chrome vertical strakes - too much 'US SUV' for my taste. The main side window frame is also chrome, but the wheels are black Triglavs with the machined surface. Just the right balance in my view.
Don't get me wrong allot of chrome on a vintage car is not a bad thing and it suits them but on a modern car it just doesn't look right. It was of the age.

I used the Austin Vanden Plas as an example as it was a complete eyesore, by taking the standard base model and sticking a lump of cheap badly chromed radiator on the front did not make it more premium. They also did it to the Princess and that was a rust bucket too.

Each to their own but sometimes as I think Coco Chanel once said, less is more.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Sportline - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey

User avatar
Old and Grumpy
Posts: 482
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:59 pm
Location: Leicestershire

Re: Front grill

Post by Old and Grumpy » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:34 am

FoxtrotAlpha wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:50 am
rsk289 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:08 pm
Hmm....
Nothing wrong with chrome. This has an abundance of chrome, and lives in the garage next to the Skoda:

Misson 15.jpg

...but as I'm now the wrong side of 65, I guess it's an old man's car.

More seriously, my Kodiak is black and has the chrome pack. The grille just has a chrome outer edge strip, the rest is black. I wouldn't want chrome vertical strakes - too much 'US SUV' for my taste. The main side window frame is also chrome, but the wheels are black Triglavs with the machined surface. Just the right balance in my view.
Don't get me wrong allot of chrome on a vintage car is not a bad thing and it suits them but on a modern car it just doesn't look right. It was of the age.

I used the Austin Vanden Plas as an example as it was a complete eyesore, by taking the standard base model and sticking a lump of cheap badly chromed radiator on the front did not make it more premium. They also did it to the Princess and that was a rust bucket too.

Each to their own but sometimes as I think Coco Chanel once said, less is more.
My Dad's old Wolsley 1300 was a bit of a dog and a rust bucket, but the chrome grill looked just right. As you say, it was of its age in 1973.
2018 Kodiaq SE 1.4 TSI, 2WD, manual gearbox, 5 seater, Petrol Blue, absolutely standard, no extra toys, (92Kw more than enough for my needs), Leicestershire. :D

User avatar
Colin Lambert
Posts: 3199
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 10:40 am
Location: Poole Dorset

Re: Front grill

Post by Colin Lambert » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:25 am

KodiaQ!
ModeratorEdition .1.5DSG. Petrol Blue. S/s spare, Cream leather KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

RodB
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:42 pm
Location: Dover

Re: Front grill

Post by RodB » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:36 pm

Ok thanks everyone message received and understood, I wont waste my money, I'll leave it black, thanks for your views.
SKODA KODIAQ SE TSI 150 4WD (1.4 litre) Petrol Blue

User avatar
rsk289
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:32 am
Location: Cambridgeshire

Re: Front grill

Post by rsk289 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:33 pm

Colin Lambert wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:25 am
KodiaQ!
Yes, sorry - that really doesn't come naturally yet, for two reasons: 'Kodiak' is spelt with a 'k', and in English a 'q' is followed by a 'u'!
I promise to try harder... am I allowed to call it a Skodiak? Or even Skodiaq?
2019 Kodiak 2.0TSi, DSG, Magic Black with matching black Triglavs, panoramic sunroof (not an L&K), factory towball

Post Reply