Fob Battery

All Skoda Kodiaq related discussions
BigSilv

Fob Battery

Post by BigSilv » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:58 am

The message 'change key battery' appeared few time on the dash. Kodiaq will be three years in April. Has any one else changed the battery? The key may be using more power due to KESSY but is it normal or too early to change? Any thoughts...?
Regards
2.0 TDI 150 PS Edition Black 7seats Canton Ambient lighting Heated screen Folding Table Tablet Holder Rearview Camera

SimonAudi

Re: Fob Battery

Post by SimonAudi » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:34 am

Three years is good - normally - with regular use around 2 years.. so no issue as far as I can see.
Location - South Wales - Blackwood
Kodiaq L&K 2.0 TDI 4x4 DSG - MY 20
Karoq Edition 2.0 TDI 4x4 DSG - MY 19

old man

Post by old man » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:27 pm

That's a "how long is a piece of string" question. It would depend not just on how old the battery is, but also on how often you use it.
I've never had to replace a key fob battery, but then I'm not a heavy user.

Kevinthepenguin

Post by Kevinthepenguin » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:08 pm

Interesting. My key is giving me the same message over the past couple of weeks as well. Battery replacement seems a bit fiddly. What type of battery for a start? And has anyone tried to, or had to, resynchronize the key once this is done?

I was told the garage would do this, but for something like £70. Sounds like daylight robbery for a battery that can't cost more than a couple of quid....?
2017 SKODA KODIAQ EDITION TDI 150 4WD, 7 seats, 1968CC Diesel, 5DR, Manual, Magnetic brown

BigSilv

Post by BigSilv » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:37 pm

Thanks guys.I was going to ask the same questions Kevinthepenguin asked! Should it be done by the dealer for warranty reasons or any garage?
2.0 TDI 150 PS Edition Black 7seats Canton Ambient lighting Heated screen Folding Table Tablet Holder Rearview Camera

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:20 am

BigSilv wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:37 pm
Thanks guys.I was going to ask the same questions Kevinthepenguin asked! Should it be done by the dealer for warranty reasons or any garage?
It’s really quite simple to change the battery in the key fob, instructions are in the manual, these include how to synchronise the key if required. It’s under the KESSY key section. It’s almost idiot proof as I have done it.

I really see no need to get a dealer to do it, it’s not a warranty item as it’s normal wear and tear. They will charge you for the privilege and for the sake of a couple of quid (if that) for a battery then I would not consider it.

The battery is a standard CR2032 button battery I think (cannot remember exactly so could be wrong).

In a car, many years ago, the key fob battery failed without warning (it was a Ford so what did I expect) and I was stranded next to Halfords. I say stranded as they would sell me a battery but would not fit it due to risk of damage. They wouldn’t let me use any of their tools such as a screwdriver due to insurance and health and safety issues. That’s why I love Halfords.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Sportline - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey

Shotto

Post by Shotto » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:29 am

Just use Google and youtube I am sure you will find a video explaining how to change the battery yourself
2.0 tdi 190 DSG sportline 7 seat in white.
Virtual dash and reversing camera.
South Wales

BigSilv

Post by BigSilv » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:52 am

Thanks to everyone. Great help.

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:11 pm

Shotto wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:29 am
Just use Google and youtube I am sure you will find a video explaining how to change the battery yourself
Or read the manual that came with the car or online?

Theres a plethora of information in it. Amazing really.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Sportline - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey

Rick Armstrong

Post by Rick Armstrong » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:30 pm

Take it to your Skoda dealer. Took mine last week after the same message, changed for free, didn't even charge for the new battery, took 5 minutes.