1.5 TSI OR 2.0 TDI SEL DSG

All Skoda Kodiaq related discussions
AJC56
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:13 pm

1.5 TSI OR 2.0 TDI SEL DSG

Post by AJC56 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:09 pm

Hi, I am new to this forum but not to VW Tiguan forum, I am currently driving a VW Tiguan 2.0 tdi DSG SEL this is a personal contract hire car through VWFS, This contract is coming to the end on 2 May 2020 after 3 years,I originally had it on a 2 year lease but I extended for an extra year, my mileage was under 16,000 miles so I rang VWFS and extended for a year with 21000 miles max and also a reduction of £50 per month for the 3rd year.
It is such a great car so I know how the 2.0 tdi DSG drives but would now like to change to the Skoda Kodiaq as it has 7 seats and is more competitively priced on contract hire than the Tiguan Allspace.
The best price is for 1.5 tsi DSG SEL as the road tax is lower and cheaper list price than the diesel, I know the Tiguan SEL is a better spec than the Kodiaq SEL but to be honest I don't use half of the tec on it.
So I would like your recommendations, my initial thoughts are 1.5 tsi dsg SEL colour White which one not sure? the cost is the same, must be MY20 don't want old spec MY19 that's been stored to be off loaded on me,no extra options on a 24 month 8000 miles PA initially with possible extension for extra year it's cheaper that way.
Tiguan was on long service intervals so had a service at 2 years so will not need another one before it goes back, will this be the case with the TSI ? as it's petrol.
I will road test a TSI and will see if I notice the big drop in torque but would greatly appreciate you views on my choice and will let you know what choice and deal I get.

Bedford VW Tiguan 2.0 tdi DSG SEL Indium Grey


User avatar
Daggerit
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:00 am
Location: Aberdeen

Re: 1.5 TSI OR 2.0 TDI SEL DSG

Post by Daggerit » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:00 am

I got a MY20 1.5 SE L manual a couple weeks back after test driving the 2.0 TDI DSG initially so might be in a good position to comment a little.

I think the torque thing will be noticeable but I personally don't think that the 1.5 TSI is under powered despite being worried it might be. It's no sports car but has decent pick-up and I've only noticed it getting a bit flat above 3k revs. Not that it loses torque or anything, just that it must plateau quite sharply.

I was also worried about the fuel economy as the 2.0 TDI DSG we drove around town and on the dual carriageway only got high 20's, low 30's for mpg so I thought that the petrol would be really bad. Currently able to get 32-38mpg around town and on my commute which isn't much different from the 36-40mpg I get in my 1.0 Ecoboost Fiesta!

All in, I'm very surprisingly happy with the choice of petrol over diesel this time. :)
Business Grey MY20 1.5 TSI Manual SE L with Family Pack and Heated Windscreen


FoxtrotAlpha
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:57 am

Re: 1.5 TSI OR 2.0 TDI SEL DSG

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:26 pm

Daggerit wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:00 am
I got a MY20 1.5 SE L manual a couple weeks back after test driving the 2.0 TDI DSG initially so might be in a good position to comment a little.

I think the torque thing will be noticeable but I personally don't think that the 1.5 TSI is under powered despite being worried it might be. It's no sports car but has decent pick-up and I've only noticed it getting a bit flat above 3k revs. Not that it loses torque or anything, just that it must plateau quite sharply.

I was also worried about the fuel economy as the 2.0 TDI DSG we drove around town and on the dual carriageway only got high 20's, low 30's for mpg so I thought that the petrol would be really bad. Currently able to get 32-38mpg around town and on my commute which isn't much different from the 36-40mpg I get in my 1.0 Ecoboost Fiesta!

All in, I'm very surprisingly happy with the choice of petrol over diesel this time. :)
If I get 38mpg on my 2.0TDI DSG whether is urban or motorway I would be gutted. I'm presently getting anywhere between 45 and 58 mpg depending on route. Maximum so far on the diesel in 63mpg but that's rare.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Sportline - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey


User avatar
Colin Lambert
Posts: 3138
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 10:40 am
Location: Poole Dorset

Re: 1.5 TSI OR 2.0 TDI SEL DSG

Post by Colin Lambert » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:48 pm

I love my 1.5 DSG. I wouldn't swap it for an oiler even with the improved consumption of the latter.
My other consideration is that mine is MY car paid for with CASH and I'm not prepared to loose loadsa munny on P/Xing it, bearing in mind I usually change cars every year, or put up with all the cr@p re DERV free zones.
The councils are going mental. Portsmouth is going to make older dervs, (lorries, 'Buses) go a circuitous route to the ferries forcing them to do much more mileage, thereby causing MORE pollution and sending some routes into nearby Southampton which also has a derv related restriction. Insanity!
ModeratorEdition .1.5DSG. Petrol Blue. S/s spare, Cream leather KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00


FoxtrotAlpha
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:57 am

Re: 1.5 TSI OR 2.0 TDI SEL DSG

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:13 pm

Colin Lambert wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:48 pm
I love my 1.5 DSG. I wouldn't swap it for an oiler even with the improved consumption of the latter.
My other consideration is that mine is MY car paid for with CASH and I'm not prepared to loose loadsa munny on P/Xing it, bearing in mind I usually change cars every year, or put up with all the cr@p re DERV free zones.
The councils are going mental. Portsmouth is going to make older dervs, (lorries, 'Buses) go a circuitous route to the ferries forcing them to do much more mileage, thereby causing MORE pollution and sending some routes into nearby Southampton which also has a derv related restriction. Insanity!
Fair point, I haven't bought mine, its leased. If diesels become untouchable then I have no concerns over residual values as its Skoda's problem. It also helps me to stay with latest versions and technologies. The government could tax them heavily but the road tax is included in the lease so that wont hurt me either.

The majority of the driving I do it not in towns, not even small ones as we are very rural so it's not a huge concern to me at the moment if they start to ban them in city centres. I'm doing relatively high mileage as the school run is a minimum of 35 miles a day, sometines more.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Sportline - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey


Mike_K
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:39 pm
Location: Wiltshire

Re: 1.5 TSI OR 2.0 TDI SEL DSG

Post by Mike_K » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:29 pm

My last car was also a 2.0 TDI DSG (VW Sharan) and I really wanted its replacement to be a petrol one. I was drawn to the 1.5 TSI Kodiaq by its power/performance stats but when I test drove one I found it simply didn’t have enough real world shove for my liking, especially once it got above 4th gear. It probably depends on what you’re used to as even my wife thought it didn’t have enough power which was surprising as she doesn’t drive quickly at all. I think the torque of the TDI engine has the effect of making the car feel much lighter than it is. As you’re also coming from a 2.0 TDI I suspect you’re really going to struggle to move backwards power wise.

Being a FWD model, I probably have the most most fuel efficient version of the Kodiaq. Most of my journeys are over 10 miles and I usually average over 50-55MPG. I’ve never averaged less than 45MPG and my best has been 60MPG on a fairly low speed (due to traffic) mostly motorway run of about 80 miles. 7th gear is very tall (about 41 MPH per 1000 RPM) which I think really helps its cruising economy - it’s only doing about 1700 RPM at 70 MPH.
2019 Kodiaq SE 2.0TDI 150 DSG 2WD - 5 Seats - Quartz Grey - Front Sensors - Lumbar Adjustment


AJC56
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:13 pm

Re: 1.5 TSI OR 2.0 TDI SEL DSG

Post by AJC56 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:48 pm

i have found a good deal PCH on the Kodiaq 1.5 TSI SEL DSG it is £2500 cheaper over 24 months than the 2.0 TDI engined Kodiaq,the problem is no local dealer or supplying dealer has a demonstrator only 2.0 TSI which does not help.
One dealer said there is not much call for the 1.5 TSI in the Kodiaq, it's funny as that's the model Skoda is pushing on a PCP.
I contacted Skoda chat line and was asked how far do I want to travel to test one,bearing in mind no dealer within 50+ miles of Bedford or supplying dealer in Aldershot have one, as the lease is with VWFS i may call them on Monday for them to suggest a way forward.
The other hold up is colour,we like white,there are two whites one solid colour one metallic both the same price but no cars with both colours to compare any suggestions would be helpful.
Car will be factory order and is between 12-16 weeks so it needs sorting quickly as lease on the VW Tiguan finishes 2 May but I am rely frustrated with lack of available demonstrators and cars to compare colour.
I feel like just buying the Tiguan at the end of lease but need 7 seats on occasions.


User avatar
Colin Lambert
Posts: 3138
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 10:40 am
Location: Poole Dorset

Re: 1.5 TSI OR 2.0 TDI SEL DSG

Post by Colin Lambert » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:54 pm

Personally, can't understand why anyone would want to spend unnecessary ££ buying a VW when a comparable Skoda is so much cheaper.
Bear in mind I pay my own hard earned cash for my cars and have to consider their resale value, Unlike PCP.
I also like to OWN my car, not rent it.
Only my own opinion.
ModeratorEdition .1.5DSG. Petrol Blue. S/s spare, Cream leather KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00


Lewin
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:25 pm

Re: 1.5 TSI OR 2.0 TDI SEL DSG

Post by Lewin » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:30 pm

Colin Lambert wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:54 pm
Personally, can't understand why anyone would want to spend unnecessary ££ buying a VW when a comparable Skoda is so much cheaper.
Bear in mind I pay my own hard earned cash for my cars and have to consider their resale value, Unlike PCP.
I also like to OWN my car, not rent it.
Only my own opinion.
Congratulations on spending £20k+ of your “hard earned” cash on a depreciating asset.

Commiserations to all those who buy on a PCP who’s cash isn’t “hard earned”.

Only my own opinion.


User avatar
Colin Lambert
Posts: 3138
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 10:40 am
Location: Poole Dorset

Re: 1.5 TSI OR 2.0 TDI SEL DSG

Post by Colin Lambert » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:02 pm

Apart from the woman in my life & our dogs and 3 fora, I have no other vices or hobbies. We go on very few holidays because of our rescued dogs. Neither smoke, nor drink very much.
Cars are my hobby (hence having had 75 of them.) How much does you hobby cost you? If it's golf or boats or going to footy matches, I venture it would cost more than the depreciation on my car p.a.
:lol: :lol:
ModeratorEdition .1.5DSG. Petrol Blue. S/s spare, Cream leather KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00


Post Reply

Return to “Main Skoda Kodiaq chat”