Self seal

All Skoda Kodiaq related discussions
stephendutton63
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:48 pm
Location: Wigan, Manchester

Self seal

Post by stephendutton63 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:12 pm

Hello wondering if someone could answer this question
I have picked up a screw in one of the rear tyres
Just realised they have self seal technology
Do I leave the screw in place ( losing quite a bit of pressure ) or remove and let the seal do its job
Or is the better to either replace the tyre or have it repaired/plugged
For the record tyre has 2k miles on it
Thanks Steve
MY20 Kodiaq SEL 2.0tsi, standard apart from electric tow bar and rear view camera.

old man
Posts: 474
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:23 am
Location: Somerset

Re: Self seal

Post by old man » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:34 pm

Whilst I haven't yet had a puncture, I wondered the same thing when I bought my car and asked a similar question to you.
The consensus of opinion was that the seal should work when the screw is removed. If your tyre is currently losing air then you have nothing to lose by removing it. If it doesn't self seal, then try getting it repaired but I'm not sure if these tyres can be repaired. I believe that if you ask different tyre fitters the question, you'll get different answers.
Obviously, if the self seal doesn't work and it can't be repaired, then you'll have to get a new tyre.

According to the Pirelli website on self seal tyres, even with the object still in the tyre, it should self seal. It only works for objects of 5mm diameter or less, so how big is your screw ?

FoxtrotAlpha
Posts: 868
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:57 am

Re: Self seal

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:08 pm

old man wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:34 pm
Whilst I haven't yet had a puncture, I wondered the same thing when I bought my car and asked a similar question to you.
The consensus of opinion was that the seal should work when the screw is removed. If your tyre is currently losing air then you have nothing to lose by removing it. If it doesn't self seal, then try getting it repaired but I'm not sure if these tyres can be repaired. I believe that if you ask different tyre fitters the question, you'll get different answers.
Obviously, if the self seal doesn't work and it can't be repaired, then you'll have to get a new tyre.

According to the Pirelli website on self seal tyres, even with the object still in the tyre, it should self seal. It only works for objects of 5mm diameter or less, so how big is your screw ?
It also depends where on the tyre the foreign object is embedded whether it is repairable.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Sportline - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey

StevieG
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:10 pm
Location: South Yorkshire

Re: Self seal

Post by StevieG » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:35 pm

Having had 2 screws in tyres on my Kodiaq with the self seal Pirelli’s, I do have some experience!
The seal on both my punctures wasn’t good enough to be permanent repair, so I would leave the screw in and get it to a tyre place asap. On both occasions I had, the screws were too near to the sidewall to be repaired so cost me dearly. I believe the Pirelli’s technically can be repaired if the hole is small enough and within the central 3/4 area of the tyre. The problem you may have with a repair is getting someone to do it, the rubber seal material inside the tyre needs to be scraped away, so you will loose the self sealing ability in that area permanently. I don’t think the tyre places are too keen on doing it either, claiming safety issues. The cynic would say they also want to sell you a new tyre!!
Ordered 8th August, collected 2nd October. SEL 2.0 TDI 190 4x4 DSG. Quartz Grey with Beige Upholstery, Factory Towbar, Reversing Camera, Front Parking Sensors. :D

old man
Posts: 474
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:23 am
Location: Somerset

Re: Self seal

Post by old man » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:25 pm

Aha, first hand experience, can't beat it and it's far better than the speculation that I experienced elsewhere on the same subject.
When I had questions about this subject, I popped into a tyre fitter and asked questions about self seal tyres and was told in no uncertain terms, that in the case of a puncture, ditch the self seal tyre and get a normal one. He had no ulterior motive with me because I wasn't there to buy tyres.

My own opinion is; self seal is a bit of a gimmick, but hopefully it will get me home if I have a puncture, after which I'd bite the bullet and replace the tyre. To back that up, I bought myself a spacesaver spare wheel, jack and wheelbrace just in case :roll:

StevieG
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:10 pm
Location: South Yorkshire

Re: Self seal

Post by StevieG » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:09 pm

Should have said that on both of my punctures the self seal worked enough to get me to a tyre place without loosing that much air to stop me. I guess the self seal did something so maybe half a gimmick!
Ordered 8th August, collected 2nd October. SEL 2.0 TDI 190 4x4 DSG. Quartz Grey with Beige Upholstery, Factory Towbar, Reversing Camera, Front Parking Sensors. :D

FoxtrotAlpha
Posts: 868
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:57 am

Re: Self seal

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:15 pm

StevieG wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:09 pm
Should have said that on both of my punctures the self seal worked enough to get me to a tyre place without loosing that much air to stop me. I guess the self seal did something so maybe half a gimmick!
I am confused about what a self-seal tyre is then.

I have had many screws/nails punctures a non-self-sealing tyre and all have been OK to drive on (albeit cautiously) and then had them plugged (never been too close to side wall). The tyre companies I have used never commented on using the plugging process but were happy I didnt use the gunge supplied.

So what is the difference?

Sounds like marketing BS to me.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Sportline - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey

User avatar
Kenny R
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:56 pm
Location: East Lothian

Re: Self seal

Post by Kenny R » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:28 pm

FoxtrotAlpha wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:15 pm
StevieG wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:09 pm
Should have said that on both of my punctures the self seal worked enough to get me to a tyre place without loosing that much air to stop me. I guess the self seal did something so maybe half a gimmick!
I am confused about what a self-seal tyre is then.

I have had many screws/nails punctures a non-self-sealing tyre and all have been OK to drive on (albeit cautiously) and then had them plugged (never been too close to side wall). The tyre companies I have used never commented on using the plugging process but were happy I didnt use the gunge supplied.

So what is the difference?

Sounds like marketing BS to me.
Pirelli marketing bumf..
https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-gb/car/total-mobility
Candy White 2.0 TSi SE L 7 seat. Heated windscreen/ nozzles, kids pack, front rear parking sensors, reversing camera and spare wheel, Milotec rear bumper inserts.
And for the winter months: 17” Black alloys with 215x65x17 Nokian WR SUV3 winter tyres.

FoxtrotAlpha
Posts: 868
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:57 am

Re: Self seal

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:54 am

Kenny R wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:28 pm
FoxtrotAlpha wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:15 pm
StevieG wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:09 pm
Should have said that on both of my punctures the self seal worked enough to get me to a tyre place without loosing that much air to stop me. I guess the self seal did something so maybe half a gimmick!
I am confused about what a self-seal tyre is then.

I have had many screws/nails punctures a non-self-sealing tyre and all have been OK to drive on (albeit cautiously) and then had them plugged (never been too close to side wall). The tyre companies I have used never commented on using the plugging process but were happy I didnt use the gunge supplied.

So what is the difference?

Sounds like marketing BS to me.
Pirelli marketing bumf..
https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-gb/car/total-mobility
I am somewhat sceptical whether it works but that could be me. Based on that you should remove the screw/nail then.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Sportline - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey

bother
Posts: 118
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:48 am

Re: Self seal

Post by bother » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:43 pm

First hand experience here too with Pirelli Scorpion Verde tyres. Screw through one not long after the car was new and it was losing air slowly

The tyre was repairable as the screw was in the centre of the tread but the local tyre fitter didn't want to do it.

I found a mobile fitter (https://www.hometyre.co.uk/) who was happy to fix. Cost a little more as there was extra effort removing the self-sealing gel before applying the plug/patch as per a normal tyre repair.

Cost around £40-50 instead of ~£200 for a new one.

At the time I did find a piece on Pirelli's website detailing the repair process (basically scrape away the sealant on the inside of the tyre in the area of the puncture and then repair as per a normal tyre) but I can't find it now...
Edition 1.4DSG, Front Sensors, Spacesaver

Post Reply