Moll battery idenification

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Kodiaq
old man
Posts: 317
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:23 am
Location: Somerset

Moll battery idenification

Post by old man » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:40 pm

I've had a few low battery warnings flash up on my screen, probably because I haven't been doing enough mileage.
I did wonder though if my car is fitted with a Moll battery that have been giving so much trouble.
Is there a way to identify a Moll battery i.e. is there a visible name on it ? The only writing on top of my battery that looks like it could be a name is BANNER, but I've no idea if that's the make or not.


User avatar
Kenny R
Posts: 439
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:56 pm
Location: East Lothian

Re: Moll battery idenification

Post by Kenny R » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:55 pm

Banner is manufacturer, same as fitted to mine. I believe it’s only Moll batteries that have been a problem.
Candy White 2.0 TSi SE L 7 seat. Heated windscreen/ nozzles, kids pack, front rear parking sensors, reversing camera and spare wheel, Milotec rear bumper inserts.
And for the winter months: 17” Black alloys with 215x65x17 Nokian WR SUV3 winter tyres.


old man
Posts: 317
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:23 am
Location: Somerset

Re: Moll battery idenification

Post by old man » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:15 pm

Kenny R wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:55 pm
Banner is manufacturer, same as fitted to mine. I believe it’s only Moll batteries that have been a problem.
Smashing, thanks once again Kenny :D


FoxtrotAlpha
Posts: 730
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:57 am

Re: Moll battery idenification

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:42 pm

old man wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:15 pm
Kenny R wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:55 pm
Banner is manufacturer, same as fitted to mine. I believe it’s only Moll batteries that have been a problem.
Smashing, thanks once again Kenny :D
I never looked at the battery when mine was faulty on my previous Kodiaq so cannot answer that bit but the symptoms you have given are exactly what I got just before it refused to start. I would keep an eye on it as it should not get to the point of warning you unless you have spent allot of time with the radio on and engine not running.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Sportline - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey


old man
Posts: 317
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:23 am
Location: Somerset

Re: Moll battery idenification

Post by old man » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:49 pm

unless you have spent allot of time with the radio on and engine not running.
Thanks FA. I rarely use the radio, so it's not that. I did used to leave my dash cam permanently live, but I stopped that when this warning first appeared a while ago.
I wondered if the system was erring on the side of caution, just to ensure there's enough juice in the battery for the stop/start system to work, but then if the battery was too low, I assume the stop/start wouldn't work anyway.


User avatar
Colin Lambert
Posts: 3122
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 10:40 am
Location: Poole Dorset

Re: Moll battery idenification

Post by Colin Lambert » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:19 pm

If You are worried, consider getting one of these I always use one (with a thermometer, as I like to know the interior temperature for my dog.)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_osacat=0&_odkw=plug+in+voltmeter&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=plug+in+car+voltmeter&_sacat=0
ModeratorEdition .1.5DSG. Petrol Blue. S/s spare, Cream leather KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00


old man
Posts: 317
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:23 am
Location: Somerset

Re: Moll battery idenification

Post by old man » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:46 pm

Colin Lambert wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:19 pm
If You are worried, consider getting one of these I always use one (with a thermometer, as I like to know the interior temperature for my dog.)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_osacat=0&_odkw=plug+in+voltmeter&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=plug+in+car+voltmeter&_sacat=0
Thanks Colin - done :D


User avatar
Colin Lambert
Posts: 3122
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 10:40 am
Location: Poole Dorset

Re: Moll battery idenification

Post by Colin Lambert » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:04 pm

No probs.
I've just been out in the car (Karoq, admittedly) and 'resting' voltage is 12.3V with nothing on, 12.6 with headlights and heater blower on, 12.7V with DRLs only + heater 12.6V.
ModeratorEdition .1.5DSG. Petrol Blue. S/s spare, Cream leather KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00


old man
Posts: 317
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:23 am
Location: Somerset

Re: Moll battery idenification

Post by old man » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:45 pm

Colin Lambert wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:04 pm
No probs.
I've just been out in the car (Karoq, admittedly) and 'resting' voltage is 12.3V with nothing on, 12.6 with headlights and heater blower on, 12.7V with DRLs only + heater 12.6V.
Thanks for this Colin and also for your last reply about the leaf issue. :D


User avatar
Colin Lambert
Posts: 3122
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 10:40 am
Location: Poole Dorset

Re: Moll battery idenification

Post by Colin Lambert » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:34 am

Like a prat, forgot to mention charging. @about 1500RPM 14,7V with or without load.
ModeratorEdition .1.5DSG. Petrol Blue. S/s spare, Cream leather KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00


Post Reply

Return to “Faults & Technical”