All Skoda Kodiaq related discussions
Old and Grumpy

Re: Clearing dead leaves inside wings

Post by Old and Grumpy » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:44 pm

old man wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:25 pm
wheelwright wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:00 pm
Yes there is a gap at top, it's where the mechanism / hinge for bonnet goes into.
Can't see how leaves have gotten in through there as the hinge will block most of the gap off when bonnets closed, both my arches are leaf free and I get a lot of leaves over car.
I'm unlucky enough to have a neighbour with a silverbirch tree that's close to us and its leaves, and more especially its catkin seeds get into every small nook and cranny imaginable.
The other place the catkin seeds get to is the drain from the fuel filler. I have to regularly poke a bit of solder wire down there to push the little b*****s out.
2018 Kodiaq SE 1.4 TSI, 2WD, manual gearbox, 5 seater, Petrol Blue, absolutely standard, no extra toys, (92Kw more than enough for my needs), Leicestershire. :D

old man

Post by old man » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:59 pm

[quoteThe other place the catkin seeds get to is the drain from the fuel filler. I have to regularly poke a bit of solder wire down there to push the little b*****s out.][/quote]

Bloody things are the bane of my life and if I could get rid of the tree, I would and I don't say that lightly as I like trees.
A few years ago we took my wifes car in for service, during which they refilled the screen wash bottle and then left the cap off, bless em !
Loads of catkin seeds got in there and then blocked the washer jets. The bottle was behind the bulkhead so I couldn't get it out to empty it, so every time the jets blocked I had to remove the pipework and blow the seeds out with an air line. Took weeks to clear them :evil:

Alan Chapple

Post by Alan Chapple » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:44 pm

old man wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:25 pm
wheelwright wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:00 pm
Yes there is a gap at top, it's where the mechanism / hinge for bonnet goes into.
Can't see how leaves have gotten in through there as the hinge will block most of the gap off when bonnets closed, both my arches are leaf free and I get a lot of leaves over car.
If you look under the rear edge of the bonnet when it's shut, there's quite a gap between it and the plastic lip at the bottom of the windscreen, certainly enough to let detritus in. There ought to be a rubber or foam insert on top of the plastic to prevent this.
I'm surprised you have no leaves in yours, have you opened the bonnet and looked deep into the hole where the bonnet springs are ? You might need a torch to see deep enough.
I'm unlucky enough to have a neighbour with a silverbirch tree that's close to us and its leaves, and more especially its catkin seeds get into every small nook and cranny imaginable.
Any chance of taking and posting photos and exactly where you mean and how bad it is?
2.0 TDI 190bhp, Edition, 4x4, DSG, Quartz Grey

old man

Post by old man » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:25 pm

[quoteAny chance of taking and posting photos and exactly where you mean and how bad it is?][/quote]

Probably not, as apart from not knowing how to post pics here, the place where most of them have congregated is a smallish, dark space that's over a foot down from the top of the wing.
I rang my dealer today to ask about how easy or not it would be to get the wheel arch liner off to remove them myself. The workshop technicians didn't recommend doing it myself (you might expect that if you're a cynic) and for them to do it would take about an hour per side, so a cost of nearly £200. :o
However, one of them recommended getting myself a ;
24" FLEXIBLE SPRING BENDY LONG REACH THIN CLAW PICK UP TOOL LIFT...
and trying to remove the leaves with that. I've ordered one (only £2.16 on ebay) and if it works I will then endeavour to block the gap with some closed cell foam or something similar to prevent a recurrence.
I probably wouldn't bother with all this as I don't usually keep my cars long enough to worry about it. This one might be a longer keeper though if it stays trouble free, so I think it's worth the effort.
I have to say that it's a poor design that has led to this blockage. Shame on you Skoda !!

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:32 pm

I had cause to fill my washer bottle today and took the opportunity to search the depths of said cavities.
Result. ONE oak leaf in O/S, NOTHING in N/S.
I shall attack either will flexible claw, which I have (one of the most useful bits of kit in . my tool box or a piece of coat hanger wrapped in Sellotape (other 'sticky back plastics' are available :lol: )
ModeratorEdition .1.5DSG. Petrol Blue. S/s spare, Cream leather KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

wheelwright

Post by wheelwright » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:47 pm

@old man,
Does your kodi have this plastic moulding under bonnet?

20191204_143734.jpg

I can't see leaves getting past it and into the arch as it covers the gap you mentioned from the outside

20191204_142648.jpg

Maybe skoda modified things on newer models?
Ordered 20.7.18 delivery 1.3.19
Black magic 2.0tsi SEL 7 Seats 190 4x4 dsg
Beige heated leather front & rear
Heated steering wheel, Folding tables, Reverse camera, Remote folding rear seats, 19" Black Gloss Triglav alloys

old man

Post by old man » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:08 pm

Your set up looks pretty similar to mine, but of course there's no way of telling if the bits of plastic in your pics have been extended on later models to form a better barrier to prevent leaf ingress. I'd like to think so because sorting this out will be a pain in the a..se !!

wheelwright

Post by wheelwright » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:45 am

old man wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:08 pm
Your set up looks pretty similar to mine, but of course there's no way of telling if the bits of plastic in your pics have been extended on later models to form a better barrier to prevent leaf ingress. I'd like to think so because sorting this out will be a pain in the a..se !!
I can't see it being the same as your getting leaves in engine bay/arch, unless the leaves are getting in via inside wheel arch?
Ordered 20.7.18 delivery 1.3.19
Black magic 2.0tsi SEL 7 Seats 190 4x4 dsg
Beige heated leather front & rear
Heated steering wheel, Folding tables, Reverse camera, Remote folding rear seats, 19" Black Gloss Triglav alloys

old man

Post by old man » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:12 pm

I took some pics today, but I cannot figure out how to post them on here. However, my car is the same as yours with the same bits of black plastic sticking up at the bottom of the windscreen which are supposed to stop debris getting under the bonnet., which they don't.
With your bonnet closed put your fingers under the back edge of the bonnet until you can feel those bits of plastic and you will then feel that there is a gap between the top of those and the underside of the bonnet. This is where the leaves get in.

Today I've managed to get most of the leaves out by constantly blowing compressed air into the gap. I had a long piece of fibreglass rod to agitate them from time to time. Doing this caused the leaves to swirl upwards and out of the hole. Apart from a few at the bottom, they were quite dry and therefore swirled quite nicely :D . I'm pretty sure that the grabber I've ordered won't work because it won't be long enough and there's also too many grommets protruding into the space near the bottom and they get in the way.

Because the gap where the bonnet hinges are, that leads into this space is quite small and then widens out considerably before narrowing down again as it reaches the bottom of the wing, I'm currently failing to think of a way to block it up to prevent this happening again.

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:50 pm

You may have heard of 'Photobucket' Well don't use it, it's rubbish and they charge!
Free service at imgur.com
store as many photos as you want and click the button labelled forums, that copies the pic.
Place your pointer below any text and click paste.
It will appear as a URL when you do it but after posted will show the photo. Seemples!
ModeratorEdition .1.5DSG. Petrol Blue. S/s spare, Cream leather KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

Return to “Main Skoda Kodiaq chat”