Clearing dead leaves inside wings

All Skoda Kodiaq related discussions
old man

Clearing dead leaves inside wings

Post by old man » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:34 pm

I have dead leaves inside of the back end of my front wings. Are these going to cause a water drainage blockage or worse and is there a simple way to remove them.
I've had a go with a long, hooked wire and a vacuum cleaner, but I'll be at it until next winter at the rate I was going :(

Kenny R

Re: Clearing dead leaves inside wings

Post by Kenny R » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:48 pm

I presume the leaves are under the plenum chamber cover, you should be able to ease up the rubber strip and lift up the plenum plastic cover up enough to get a hand in, although to remove the cover completely you need to remove the wiper arms.
Candy White 2.0 TSi SE L 7 seat. Heated windscreen/ nozzles, kids pack, front rear parking sensors, reversing camera and spare wheel, Milotec rear bumper inserts.
And for the winter months: 17” Black alloys with 215x65x17 Nokian WR SUV3 winter tyres.

old man

Post by old man » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:24 pm

I presume the leaves are under the plenum chamber cover
They might be there as well, but where I was referring to is; if the bonnet is open, follow the top edge of the front wing along to where it meets the front door, then look down the inside of the wing just under the bottom of the windscreen pillar, There's quite a gap there which is very deep and goes right to the bottom of the wing. You can see the wheel arch liner in there. I assume water drains out the bottom somewhere, but I haven't yet found the exit hole.
I read of other cars where drain holes get blocked which leads to water ingress in the car and the pollen filter getting saturated and needing replacement. I don't know if that applies to the Kodiaq.

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:28 pm

The wheel arch guards are not watertight against the wings, in my experience, so there should not be a problem. So saying you really do NOT want leaves to remain there and turn into a soggy lump which will rot the wings out!.
You may have to unclip the bottom of the guard to clear out the detritus.
ModeratorEdition .1.5DSG. Petrol Blue. S/s spare, Cream leather KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

old man

Post by old man » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:54 pm

You may have to unclip the bottom of the guard to clear out the detritus.
By that Colin, do you mean the bottom of the wheel arch liner and if so, does the wheel need to be remove ?

wheelwright

Post by wheelwright » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:00 pm

Yes there is a gap at top, it's where the mechanism / hinge for bonnet goes into.
Can't see how leaves have gotten in through there as the hinge will block most of the gap off when bonnets closed, both my arches are leaf free and I get a lot of leaves over car.
Ordered 20.7.18 delivery 1.3.19
Black magic 2.0tsi SEL 7 Seats 190 4x4 dsg
Beige heated leather front & rear
Heated steering wheel, Folding tables, Reverse camera, Remote folding rear seats, 19" Black Gloss Triglav alloys

old man

Post by old man » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:25 pm

wheelwright wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:00 pm
Yes there is a gap at top, it's where the mechanism / hinge for bonnet goes into.
Can't see how leaves have gotten in through there as the hinge will block most of the gap off when bonnets closed, both my arches are leaf free and I get a lot of leaves over car.
If you look under the rear edge of the bonnet when it's shut, there's quite a gap between it and the plastic lip at the bottom of the windscreen, certainly enough to let detritus in. There ought to be a rubber or foam insert on top of the plastic to prevent this.
I'm surprised you have no leaves in yours, have you opened the bonnet and looked deep into the hole where the bonnet springs are ? You might need a torch to see deep enough.
I'm unlucky enough to have a neighbour with a silverbirch tree that's close to us and its leaves, and more especially its catkin seeds get into every small nook and cranny imaginable.

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:32 pm

Old Man,
I am assuming that most Skodas are the same and the only one I have had to have a serious go at was my penultimate Yeti. Normally you can get away with putting the wheels on full lock.
ModeratorEdition .1.5DSG. Petrol Blue. S/s spare, Cream leather KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

wheelwright

Post by wheelwright » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:17 pm

I'll have a mooch tomorrow when bonnet is closed, I'll get the old torch out and see if I can see any leaves when bonnets up, today I never saw anything anywhere! only the insulation on wheel arch plastic.
Out of interest what year is your Kodi?
Ordered 20.7.18 delivery 1.3.19
Black magic 2.0tsi SEL 7 Seats 190 4x4 dsg
Beige heated leather front & rear
Heated steering wheel, Folding tables, Reverse camera, Remote folding rear seats, 19" Black Gloss Triglav alloys

old man

Post by old man » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:32 pm

wheelwright wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:17 pm
I'll have a mooch tomorrow when bonnet is closed, I'll get the old torch out and see if I can see any leaves when bonnets up, today I never saw anything anywhere! only the insulation on wheel arch plastic.
Out of interest what year is your Kodi?
Car is 15 months old.
I could see several leaves down in the gap on top of the insulation you mention, but there's loads more deeper down. Just unlucky I guess :cry:

Return to “Main Skoda Kodiaq chat”