The place to discuss everything else..
Daggerit

Re: Kamiq Brochure and configurator available

Post by Daggerit » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:00 am

Alan Chapple wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:45 pm
Daggerit wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:30 am
There's definitely something wrong because when I option up a T-Cross R-Line with the options I'd want it comes to £26,250, £4k less than the Kamiq. Top spec Arona is similar.
I assumed it was Kodiaq - Terrano, Karoq - Ateca, Kamiq - Arona so surely a Kamiq can't be £30k for top spec, that's just crazy!
Granted the base SE L with the 1.5 TSI engine and DSG is £25k, so the options are pushing it up, I don't think that the options I chose are ridiculous. Heated seats, steering wheel, windscreen, metallic paint, parking sensors and a few other things. Surprised things like parking sensors are an option on the SE L trim to be honest.

Silverbear

Post by Silverbear » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:13 am

I don't think this is anything new in the motor industry. I have long observed that it is better to choose a 'bigger' car which has more things as standard than buy a smaller car with less standard equipment and hit the options list. Many moons ago I had a conversation with a sales rep about the staggering cost of a fully specced 'Super Mini' sized car I happened to see in a showroom and pointed out that one could buy a much bigger car for similar money with a similar spec as standard. He agreed but said some people want a small car but they don't want to go without the tech and are willing to pay.

I appear to have a very unconventional view of cars. I buy cars according to the size I need, particularly the size of the boot but also as my children grow the space in the second row. I look for the cheapest car that meets my size requirement and don't give a hoot about the tech. My Kodiaq is the first car I did not quite do this. I was on course to buy a base model Superb estate but...it was so pretty as it sat there next to the Superb. In my defence I think most people do this, I see loads more new Kodiaqs than Superbs now...but they are almost all higher spec than my lowly SE.

Regarding the Kamiq, no chance. The Duster has a bigger boot (445 litre in front wheel drive guise) and costs from £10,995 OTR I think although they do go up to almost £20K.
SE (5 seats) 1.5 4x4 DSG, factory tow bar, drive mode selection, reversing camera, rough road package, folding door mirrors, 215/65R17 spare wheel.

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:15 am

Dacia do not (as far as I know) do an automatic and they are basically Renaults which immediately makes it an absolute NO for me. I'm afraid the reliability of PSA cars and Renault is not very good.
I must admit to being a borderline badge snob. Skoda were not so long ago seen as the poor mans VW, but now they are outselling VW that cruel attitude has gone, BUT every time I see a Dacia I think "Oh poor bloke/Gel, couldn't afford a 'proper' car.
I am old enough to remember the original Dacias back in the '70s and they really were absolute cr*p.
ModeratorEdition .1.5DSG. Petrol Blue. S/s spare, Cream leather KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

Silverbear

Post by Silverbear » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:33 am

Colin Lambert wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:15 am
Dacia do not (as far as I know) do an automatic and they are basically Renaults which immediately makes it an absolute NO for me. I'm afraid the reliability of PSA cars and Renault is not very good.
I must admit to being a borderline badge snob. Skoda were not so long ago seen as the poor mans VW, but now they are outselling VW that cruel attitude has gone, BUT every time I see a Dacia I think "Oh poor bloke/Gel, couldn't afford a 'proper' car.
I am old enough to remember the original Dacias back in the '70s and they really were absolute cr*p.
I know many people with Dacia's, mainly the Sandero but also the Logan, and they love them. Reliability does not seem a problem. I have colleagues who tell me they would never ever buy a Skoda even today and can't understand why I drive one. The badge snob is likely to be the victim of other people's snobbery. I don't worry about such 'nonsense'. It's clear to me the Kodiaq is essentially a VW and it is clear to me Dacia's offer a reliable low cost motoring solution. Don't think a Dacia driver is buying it because they can't afford a 'better' car. Clearly some will but the people I know buy them because they meet a need and prefer to spend their cash on other things. It is very easy to project ones own desires onto other people's decisions and think they have made a mistake.

As you drive your car be aware fellow drivers might be mocking you just as you mock the Dacia driver.

Look at it this way. I considered a Logan and only did not buy one because I decided the boot, despite being 573 litres, was not large enough and decided instead on a (base model) Superb estate at 660 litres before I then was seduced by the Kodiaq parked next to it. The Logan was not 'all I could afford' had I purchased it, it would have been 'all I needed to spend' to get a 573 litre boot.

As it is I have discovered the Kodiaq is a very convenient place, given the leg room in the second row, for children to do their homework on laptops and in hindsight I am pleased to have not purchased the Dacia with its more restricted 2nd row space for this reason too but it had nothing to do with lack of funds.

The irony of your last line about old enough to remember the 70's applies just as well to Skoda as Dacia so I think it is a bit selective particularly as both of these brands are now more or less in the same position, offering cars based on the parent company's technology.
SE (5 seats) 1.5 4x4 DSG, factory tow bar, drive mode selection, reversing camera, rough road package, folding door mirrors, 215/65R17 spare wheel.

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:22 pm

Silverbear wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:33 am
Colin Lambert wrote:
I know many people with Dacia's, mainly the Sandero but also the Logan, and they love them. Reliability does not seem a problem. I have colleagues who tell me they would never ever buy a Skoda even today and can't understand why I drive one. The badge snob is likely to be the victim of other people's snobbery. I don't worry about such 'nonsense'. It's clear to me the Kodiaq is essentially a VW and it is clear to me Dacia's offer a reliable low cost motoring solution. Don't think a Dacia driver is buying it because they can't afford a 'better' car. Clearly some will but the people I know buy them because they meet a need and prefer to spend their cash on other things. It is very easy to project ones own desires onto other people's decisions and think they have made a mistake.

As you drive your car be aware fellow drivers might be mocking you just as you mock the Dacia driver.

Look at it this way. I considered a Logan and only did not buy one because I decided the boot, despite being 573 litres, was not large enough and decided instead on a (base model) Superb estate at 660 litres before I then was seduced by the Kodiaq parked next to it. The Logan was not 'all I could afford' had I purchased it, it would have been 'all I needed to spend' to get a 573 litre boot.

As it is I have discovered the Kodiaq is a very convenient place, given the leg room in the second row, for children to do their homework on laptops and in hindsight I am pleased to have not purchased the Dacia with its more restricted 2nd row space for this reason too but it had nothing to do with lack of funds.

The irony of your last line about old enough to remember the 70's applies just as well to Skoda as Dacia so I think it is a bit selective particularly as both of these brands are now more or less in the same position, offering cars based on the parent company's technology.
Skoda and Dacia “are now more or less in the same position” that’s laughable.

Without going through every specification between the two let’s look at one of the key features, safety. Skoda Euro NCAP rating 5 star on all vehicles, Dacia highest rating 3 stars except the Sandaro which got 4 stars in 2013, I would never drive or drive my family around in car which clearly has a safety issues.

In every respect Skoda is superior than and Dacia which is reflected in the price differential.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Sportline - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey

SkodaVRS1963

Post by SkodaVRS1963 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:58 pm

Colin Lambert wrote:
In fairness, I grew up in an era where if you saw a Skoda you stopped, pointed and laughed.

Ditto Lada.

Skoda only ditched that image courtesy of VW buying them out and installing a grown up management structure.
Kodiaq VRS 2019 build, velvet red paint, heated windscreen, heated steering wheel

Silverbear

Post by Silverbear » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:12 pm

SkodaVRS1963 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:58 pm
Colin Lambert wrote:
In fairness, I grew up in an era where if you saw a Skoda you stopped, pointed and laughed.

Ditto Lada.

Skoda only ditched that image courtesy of VW buying them out and installing a grown up management structure.
People tend to forget that Skoda is an old car company, I think they started around 1900, and they made good cars. It was only during a comparatively brief period behind the iron curtain that their cars were poor.

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:26 pm

'When did Skoda start making cars? Skoda was established in 1859 under the name Laurin & Klement. This puts Skoda amongst some of the oldest car manufacturers alongside Daimler, Opel, Peugeot and Tatra. The company first started making bicycles and then moved to motorcycles'
In WWII they were forced by the Nazis to build military vehicles including tanks..
I was/am not 'mocking' Dacia drivers. I just can't understand why anybody should want one unless they cannot afford anything better BUT I take Silverbears point of view completely.
As a petrolhead I have never in adult life (we all probably had dreadful cars in our 'yoof')
owned a car that has a dubious past. I completely agree with FA (this is starting to become a habit :lol: ) That I would never own a car with less than a 5* NCAP rating.

I quite understand that if cars are not the main interest in life, then buying what you want because it fits requirements regardless of cost is fine.

I have a very good friend who has been BMW mad all his life and once, some time ago, said that he could not understand why I chose to own a Skoda. Now he thinks they are terrific cars, has sold his BMW 420D and says he will never again consider another BMW.
ModeratorEdition .1.5DSG. Petrol Blue. S/s spare, Cream leather KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”