Heated Windscreen query

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Kodiaq
ERJ

Heated Windscreen query

Post by ERJ » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:57 am

I have a Kodiaq L&K which comes as standard with a heated windscreen and I have the button inside to turn it on and off, separate from the rear heated window.

I’ve had heated windscreens in previous cars and understand how they generally work.

My query is... the last few mornings I’ve gone to my car and it has been dewy with a bit of condensation on the inside. Usually, in my other cars I would put the heated windscreen on and it would clear it, but in this car it hasn’t worked. Is there a way of looking at the windscreen to tell if it is in fact a heated windscreen? The other cars I’ve had have had the thin elements running throughout but this windscreen has no visible elements at all.

I’ve been told by a dealer that the Skoda heated windscreen is not designed to clear condensation, only snow and ice, which I find difficult to believe, and he also said he could tell it was a heated screen by the colour of it!
L&K 2.0 TSI 190
VC, DRIVER ASSISTANCE, CHILDRENS PACK, PARK ASSISTANCE, ACC
BUSINESS GREY
KT12

ERJ

Re: Heated Windscreen query

Post by ERJ » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:04 pm

I should add, I’m referring to the condensation on the inside when I say it isn’t clearing it.
L&K 2.0 TSI 190
BUSINESS GREY
KT12

Silverbear

Post by Silverbear » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:12 pm

I don't have a heated windscreen in my SE but find the button above the heated rear windscreen button which directs large amounts of air briefly onto the windscreen extremely effective at demisting the windscreen. It clears the mist in seconds, particularly if the air-con has dried the air although it is very noisy.

Is the heated windscreen just for re-icing the outside?
SE (5 seats) 1.5 4x4 DSG, factory tow bar, drive mode selection, reversing camera, rough road package, folding door mirrors, 215/65R17 spare wheel.

ERJ

Post by ERJ » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:15 pm

Thank you. I recognise there is that facility, but the heated windscreen should be amazing at clearing condensation and snow and ice etc. If it cannot clear condensation, it’s likely to struggle with snow.

Just looking to clarify if a heated screen is fitted in the first instance.
L&K 2.0 TSI 190
BUSINESS GREY
KT12

Silverbear

Post by Silverbear » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:29 pm

ERJ wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:15 pm
Thank you. I recognise there is that facility, but the heated windscreen should be amazing at clearing condensation and snow and ice etc. If it cannot clear condensation, it’s likely to struggle with snow.

Just looking to clarify if a heated screen is fitted in the first instance.
Will any heated window shift snow? Heated rear windows only really do frost. Anyhow snow is easy to shift with a scraper, it's the frozen-on ice which takes a bit more elbow grease. I wouldn't worry about it, the blower switch clears the screen misting in seconds.
SE (5 seats) 1.5 4x4 DSG, factory tow bar, drive mode selection, reversing camera, rough road package, folding door mirrors, 215/65R17 spare wheel.

Plodd

Post by Plodd » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:25 pm

To clear up one point, the Kodiaq heated screen doesn't have the fine wires you're used to but a thin film which heats up.
Kodiaq 2.0tdi 190 4X4 DSG SE L in Business Grey. Replacing an SE 150 DSG diesel in moon white.

ERJ

Post by ERJ » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:12 pm

Great, thanks for clarifying.
L&K 2.0 TSI 190
BUSINESS GREY
KT12

Return to “Faults & Technical”