Skodiaq Door edge protection

All Skoda Kodiaq related discussions
Jeddie

Skodiaq Door edge protection

Post by Jeddie » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:54 pm

Well got my shiney new car.

However. It's turned up with no Door edge protection at all.
I have seen a few threads with you lot having problems with them but none with not having them at all.
It may be gimeky but that was one of the small reasons we liked the car in the first place.

Any body else got none?

Cheers Jed.
Gods country. Newcastle
Skoda Kodiaq (150) DSG Edition 4x4 7 seat.

Zach

Re: Skodiaq Door edge protection

Post by Zach » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:17 pm

It’s no longer standard as of MY20, you need the family pack for the door edge protectors.
BW32 2017 Kodiaq 190TDI Style 5 Seater in Quartz Grey + Sirius rims, 5yr Warranty, Sunroof, Sleep Pack, Rear Heated Seats, Driver Profiles
BW35 2019 Kodiaq RS 5 seater in Brilliant Silver + Ignite rims, Sunroof, Direct TPMS, Acoustic Windows

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:21 pm

As Zach said, my MY20 model thankfully doesn’t have those horrible things, my last one did and I hated them with a passion.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Sportline - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:25 am

I was . so pleased to see the back of them when I went the Karoq route.
I have driven for 56 years without all this gimmickry, I don't need or want most of it now!
Some, however are most useful. Rear camera brake assist etc.
ModeratorEdition .1.5DSG. Petrol Blue. S/s spare, Cream leather KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

Silverbear

Post by Silverbear » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:46 am

I like them. I worry less when doors are opening particularly when children open doors. That said they need to seat properly on the edge and one of mine does not. I think they should be standard on all cars (like tow bars) since the majority of life a car has is probably in the used market and used buyers don't get the luxury of choice but do suffer the choices made by others.
SE (5 seats) 1.5 4x4 DSG, factory tow bar, drive mode selection, reversing camera, rough road package, folding door mirrors, 215/65R17 spare wheel.

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:57 am

Silverbear wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:46 am
I like them. I worry less when doors are opening particularly when children open doors. That said they need to seat properly on the edge and one of mine does not. I think they should be standard on all cars (like tow bars) since the majority of life a car has is probably in the used market and used buyers don't get the luxury of choice but do suffer the choices made by others.
Apart from the engineering of these things are woefully inadequate it’s nice to see that you only care about the edges of your doors and nobody else’s property. Here's an idea, why don’t you teach your offspring to open the doors without them hitting other cars?

Fed up of having cars dented due to badly behaved children and ignorant adults alike.

Zach

Post by Zach » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:51 pm

I’m not particularly fussed about not having them, as it’s not me that needs the door protectors, rather the idiots that don't know something called common decency. Unfortunately some people just DGAF.

Silverbear, interesting that you think towbars should be standard on all cars. I'd like to see your reasoning, as one can usually be easily retrofitted? I think towbar prep should be standard but definitely not the actual towbar.
BW32 2017 Kodiaq 190TDI Style 5 Seater in Quartz Grey + Sirius rims, 5yr Warranty, Sunroof, Sleep Pack, Rear Heated Seats, Driver Profiles
BW35 2019 Kodiaq RS 5 seater in Brilliant Silver + Ignite rims, Sunroof, Direct TPMS, Acoustic Windows

Silverbear

Post by Silverbear » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:13 pm

Zach wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:51 pm
I’m not particularly fussed about not having them, as it’s not me that needs the door protectors, rather the idiots that don't know something called common decency. Unfortunately some people just DGAF.

Silverbear, interesting that you think towbars should be standard on all cars. I'd like to see your reasoning, as one can usually be easily retrofitted? I think towbar prep should be standard but definitely not the actual towbar.
I practice defensive parking. Drives my wife nuts but her car has the bruises to show I'm right. My car is the one parked furthest from any other car. I have been known to park on the top empty floor of multi storey car parks to escape other drivers. On one occasion I remember doing this, and as far from the lift as I could manage, it was the most inconvenient place in the entire car park, and when I returned the storey was empty of cars except a cluster of them around me! I figure they recognised my defensive parking and thought better next to me than anyone else who showed up.

Regarding towbars, many years ago you could fit a towbar to anything. These days you can't and even when you can fit one your car might need modifying. Some cars, mine included I think, need modified cooling systems. You have a point about towbar prep. I'd probably settle for that but really if all cars had them as standard the cost would come down and we would all know where we are in the used market.

The very idea that a car would need "towbar prep" astonishes me and I'll wager most used car buyers are not aware of this or whether their car has it or needs it at the point of purchase.

Ditto for proper full size spare wheels. I've heard of people not realising their car does not have a spare wheel until they have a puncture. I mean, why would you even need to check, they should be standard! It might be missing, but there should be a space for it.
SE (5 seats) 1.5 4x4 DSG, factory tow bar, drive mode selection, reversing camera, rough road package, folding door mirrors, 215/65R17 spare wheel.

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:24 pm

Silverbear wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:13 pm
Zach wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:51 pm

I practice defensive parking. Drives my wife nuts but her car has the bruises to show I'm right. My car is the one parked furthest from any other car. I have been known to park on the top empty floor of multi storey car parks to escape other drivers. On one occasion I remember doing this, and as far from the lift as I could manage, it was the most inconvenient place in the entire car park, and when I returned the storey was empty of cars except a cluster of them around me! I figure they recognised my defensive parking and thought better next to me than anyone else who showed up.

Regarding towbars, many years ago you could fit a towbar to anything. These days you can't and even when you can fit one your car might need modifying. Some cars, mine included I think, need modified cooling systems. You have a point about towbar prep. I'd probably settle for that but really if all cars had them as standard the cost would come down and we would all know where we are in the used market.

The very idea that a car would need "towbar prep" astonishes me and I'll wager most used car buyers are not aware of this or whether their car has it or needs it at the point of purchase.

Ditto for proper full size spare wheels. I've heard of people not realising their car does not have a spare wheel until they have a puncture. I mean, why would you even need to check, they should be standard! It might be missing, but there should be a space for it.
Totally ridiculous idea about tow bars as the majority of drivers never need or want them, why should they want to pay for something they dont want?

I find it laughable that you want standard fit tow bars but you are totally against any forms of technology that can save passenger/pedestrian lives. Your logic is pretty messed up.

Your parking rationale is on another level, well somewhere on the spectrum anyway.

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:11 pm

If anyone thinks I am going to pay about £1k (Skoda price) for a towbar I will never use they can dream on!
ModeratorEdition .1.5DSG. Petrol Blue. S/s spare, Cream leather KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

Return to “Main Skoda Kodiaq chat”