New to the Skoda Kodiaq Forums? Introduce yourself here
Silverbear

Re: Hello and a question

Post by Silverbear » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:04 pm

Daggerit wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:23 am
Colin Lambert wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:17 am
The Duster is really a Karoq competitor.
You ARE JOKING!? There is absolutely NO comparison.
Apart from price, the interior finish is dire.
Car Wow review quite likes it (for the money) but does NOT like the tyre and wind noise and the handling is almost non existent.
As far as I know you can't have leather, heated seats or pan roof.
You gets wot you pays for!
I'd agree with this as the Duster was in the running for us too.

In the end we went for the one that could have the 7 seats and the level of kit and build you get is in a different league to the Duster. The wind and tyre noise made conversations with back seat passengers a struggle in the Duster at motorway speeds and the overall fit and finish and materials is miles better in the Kodiaq.

If you're looking for utilitarian SUV then the Duster is a great option and I certainly won't put it down in that regard, but it's not a direct Kodiaq competitor I wouldn't say.
No, it is a direct competitor of the Karoq because it is a similar size. I compare cars by size. Which one you buy depends on what level of spec and comfort you want. The Duster was too small, the 7 seater Kodiaq had too many seats at the expense of what I regard as a useful spare wheel, so I have a 5 seater. The 5 seater Kodiaq is almost perfect for me. A better fit would be a slightly larger car with less tech and a lower price.
SE (5 seats) 1.5 4x4 DSG, factory tow bar, drive mode selection, reversing camera, rough road package, folding door mirrors, 215/65R17 spare wheel.

Daggerit

Post by Daggerit » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:12 pm

Silverbear wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:57 am
Colin Lambert wrote:
The Duster is really a Karoq competitor.
Car Wow review quite likes it (for the money) but does NOT like the tyre and wind noise and the handling is almost non existent.
I'm not sufficiently wealthy to be able to afford to worry about interior finish or handling and I certainly do not want to sit on the skin of an animal whose life was given for my bottom. I remember when car seats were a horrid plasticky vinyl and it seems to my cloth seats solved the hot/cold/sticky seat problem decades ago. If leather requires heated seats then really what is the point, just go back to vinyl. Pan roofs are utterly useless to me.

I'm afraid I have a very simple attitude to cars. SUV wise, I would consider the Duster, the Kodiaq and the Landcruiser depending on the size of vehicle I needed and the off road aptitude I needed. It's not a money issue, I could buy all three for cash in one day, I am ruthless about not spending more than I absolutely need. I won't pay for desire, only need. If I need a Duster but desire a Landcruiser I'll get the Duster. If I need the Landcruiser I'll buy one. As it happens I needed the size of the Kodiaq but not the off road ability of the Landcruiser so purchased the Kodiaq.

All these bells and whistles manufacturers make out I need after 35 years of managing perfectly well without them are wasted on me. Stop/Start is so annoying I have to turn it off most of the time and AEB 'frequently' does emergency stops, I don't think either were designed with London traffic in mind.

The biggest issues for me about the Kodiaq are nothing to do with leather or windows to the sky but:
1) I wish the boot were bigger which means longer as I find it wide enough for the arrow roads I use.
2) Can I put a road wheel in the boot, after a puncture, without taking up load space? I can with the 5 seater. Can I with the 7 seater?

Beyond that, if it goes and is reasonably fuel efficient (I'm getting 36mpg around town and 42 mpg on the motorway, as measured at the pump which I think reasonable and within and better then WLTP spec respectiviely) then I'm content.
I can understand where you're coming from to an extent but some of us like to have luxuries while we're driving. I have the half leather seats coming in my Kodiaq (if it ever arrives!) and will be glad for the heating despite my arse sitting on fabric as it's very nice on a cold morning. Do I absolutely need it? No, of course not, but it'll definitely make my morning journey to work noticeably nicer. How far do you take it then? Do you need heating/AC in your car? Probably not, but I wouldn't buy one without it!

I'm sounding quite critical, but my point is that the majority of the time the luxuries are what make driving a certain car a nicer experience so you can't begrudge people paying the extra money for that. :)

Daggerit

Post by Daggerit » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:17 pm

Silverbear wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:04 pm
Daggerit wrote:
Colin Lambert wrote:

In the end we went for the one that could have the 7 seats and the level of kit and build you get is in a different league to the Duster. The wind and tyre noise made conversations with back seat passengers a struggle in the Duster at motorway speeds and the overall fit and finish and materials is miles better in the Kodiaq.

If you're looking for utilitarian SUV then the Duster is a great option and I certainly won't put it down in that regard, but it's not a direct Kodiaq competitor I wouldn't say.
No, it is a direct competitor of the Karoq because it is a similar size. I compare cars by size. Which one you buy depends on what level of spec and comfort you want. The Duster was too small, the 7 seater Kodiaq had too many seats at the expense of what I regard as a useful spare wheel, so I have a 5 seater. The 5 seater Kodiaq is almost perfect for me. A better fit would be a slightly larger car with less tech and a lower price.
I think that maybe just going by size is a little simplistic though. Would you say that the Kodiaq was a direct competitor for the Audi Q7 or the Bentley Bentega, because I'd say that they're in a different league in terms of price and build (yes, they're slightly larger, but I hope you see my point).

Silverbear

Post by Silverbear » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:22 pm

Daggerit wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:12 pm
Silverbear wrote:
Colin Lambert wrote:

I'm not sufficiently wealthy to be able to afford to worry about interior finish or handling and I certainly do not want to sit on the skin of an animal whose life was given for my bottom. I remember when car seats were a horrid plasticky vinyl and it seems to my cloth seats solved the hot/cold/sticky seat problem decades ago. If leather requires heated seats then really what is the point, just go back to vinyl. Pan roofs are utterly useless to me.

I'm afraid I have a very simple attitude to cars. SUV wise, I would consider the Duster, the Kodiaq and the Landcruiser depending on the size of vehicle I needed and the off road aptitude I needed. It's not a money issue, I could buy all three for cash in one day, I am ruthless about not spending more than I absolutely need. I won't pay for desire, only need. If I need a Duster but desire a Landcruiser I'll get the Duster. If I need the Landcruiser I'll buy one. As it happens I needed the size of the Kodiaq but not the off road ability of the Landcruiser so purchased the Kodiaq.

All these bells and whistles manufacturers make out I need after 35 years of managing perfectly well without them are wasted on me. Stop/Start is so annoying I have to turn it off most of the time and AEB 'frequently' does emergency stops, I don't think either were designed with London traffic in mind.

The biggest issues for me about the Kodiaq are nothing to do with leather or windows to the sky but:
1) I wish the boot were bigger which means longer as I find it wide enough for the arrow roads I use.
2) Can I put a road wheel in the boot, after a puncture, without taking up load space? I can with the 5 seater. Can I with the 7 seater?

Beyond that, if it goes and is reasonably fuel efficient (I'm getting 36mpg around town and 42 mpg on the motorway, as measured at the pump which I think reasonable and within and better then WLTP spec respectiviely) then I'm content.
I can understand where you're coming from to an extent but some of us like to have luxuries while we're driving. I have the half leather seats coming in my Kodiaq (if it ever arrives!) and will be glad for the heating despite my arse sitting on fabric as it's very nice on a cold morning. Do I absolutely need it? No, of course not, but it'll definitely make my morning journey to work noticeably nicer. How far do you take it then? Do you need heating/AC in your car? Probably not, but I wouldn't buy one without it!

I'm sounding quite critical, but my point is that the majority of the time the luxuries are what make driving a certain car a nicer experience so you can't begrudge people paying the extra money for that. :)
I don't need A/C for UK driving but it is useful when driving on the continent in the Summer. I don't begrudge people having what they want at all but my opinion for people like me is equally valid. The problem for me is that few people have my view and so there are few cars available that reflect my needs. Dacia are a welcome relief and I hope they continue to offer inexpensive cars. Regarding driving experience I find driving the most boring of activities it would need to convert into a rocket ship to make driving interesting for me.
SE (5 seats) 1.5 4x4 DSG, factory tow bar, drive mode selection, reversing camera, rough road package, folding door mirrors, 215/65R17 spare wheel.

Daggerit

Post by Daggerit » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:25 pm

Silverbear wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:22 pm
Daggerit wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:12 pm
Silverbear wrote:

I don't need A/C for UK driving but it is useful when driving on the continent in the Summer. I don't begrudge people having what they want at all but my opinion for people like me is equally valid. The problem for me is that few people have my view and so there are few cars available that reflect my needs. Dacia are a welcome relief and I hope they continue to offer inexpensive cars. Regarding driving experience I find driving the most boring of activities it would need to convert into a rocket ship to make driving interesting for me.
I agree that there should be an option for people who just want to get from A to B, I think that many cars now are ridiculously expensive.

Silverbear

Post by Silverbear » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:23 pm

Daggerit wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:17 pm
Silverbear wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:04 pm
Daggerit wrote:

I think that maybe just going by size is a little simplistic though. Would you say that the Kodiaq was a direct competitor for the Audi Q7 or the Bentley Bentega, because I'd say that they're in a different league in terms of price and build (yes, they're slightly larger, but I hope you see my point).
I'd say the Tiguan 7 seater, Q7, XC90, Discovery sport, F pace, X3 and a few others are competitors. Don't forget there is much badge snobbery in cars.

The Bentley I would say is not. Neither are these which I would class as in a separate group:

Proper Discovery, proper Range Rover, Landcruiser and Landcruiser Amazon, Mercedes G class and some others.

Of course there are so many cars with varying degrees of luxury and capability it almost becomes meaningless to suppose any are simply direct competitors of one other group. Competitors are what you choose the competitors to be depending on your requirements. I know people who still absolutely refuse to buy a Skoda and would not see a Skoda as a competitor to anything they would want.

I judge cars by size. Others judge them by luxury or top speed. Some people see the Kodiaq only as a 7 seater whereas I see it as really a 5 seater with a large boot: For me a full size Land Rover is a 7 seater assuming the third row has more space. Most reviews of 7 seaters in general say they are okay for short trips or small children. Depends what you need.

Judging a car by its size is clearly wrong for you but makes absolute sense for me. Both points of view work in the environment they are applied.

I remember reading a review of the Dacia Sandero and it was compared to the Kia Picanto, I assume because of the similar prices, but to me they are nothing like the same because the Sandero is much larger. Does one compare by price, size, luxury? For me it is size every time and I always want the smallest car I can manage with unless there is a larger car that costs less! It's just about moving people and stuff from A to B for me. Plenty of other things to spend money on.

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:06 am

One does not NEED heated seats with a leather covering. I will not buy a car without as I have a chronically bad back.
I also would not buy a car without a sun roof as I like the fresh air and when closed the extra light. I don't liked driving in a'cave' as is often the case with manufacturers opting more and more for black headlining.
I think the main difference twixt Silver bear and myself is that he uses acar a a necessary evil to move him about, whereas I am a self confessed 'petrolhead'.
BTW the fact that you will not have leather will not, unfortunately, save cows from being killed. I assume therefore that you are a vegan, or is killing animals ok if you are going to eat them??
ModeratorEdition .1.5DSG. Petrol Blue. S/s spare, Cream leather KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

Silverbear

Post by Silverbear » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:02 am

Colin Lambert wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:06 am
One does not NEED heated seats with a leather covering. I will not buy a car without as I have a chronically bad back.
I also would not buy a car without a sun roof as I like the fresh air and when closed the extra light. I don't liked driving in a'cave' as is often the case with manufacturers opting more and more for black headlining.
I think the main difference twixt Silver bear and myself is that he uses acar a a necessary evil to move him about, whereas I am a self confessed 'petrolhead'.
BTW the fact that you will not have leather will not, unfortunately, save cows from being killed. I assume therefore that you are a vegan, or is killing animals ok if you are going to eat them??
I like black interiors and wish the Kodiaq interior grey dash were a little darker. Mind you I have the SE with the brushed metal not the piano black of the SE-L.

The future of leather in cars (and shoes, bags, belts...) is an interesting one as we are encouraged to become more vegetarian and possible vegan in the future to help combat climate change. If the farming of livestock for food is to become controversial one can be sure non food uses for animals will also be in line.

I was trying to think of an analogy for my view of driving and I think I have it...dishwashers. I see driving and loading the dishwasher as similar activities. I don't mind doing either, it is a necessary activity to reach a desired result, but I can't say I value either experience. The analogy also serves for my view of the technology. I don't need a zillion different programs on my dishwasher, I just want to put in dirty plates and take out clean ones, it's a dishwasher.

Which really raises the question why I'm on this forum, or perhaps why I'm not also on a dishwasher forum too!

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:50 am

Love your last line! :lol: :lol:
Here you go,

https://www.avforums.com/threads/best-most-reliable-dishwasher.1260641/
ModeratorEdition .1.5DSG. Petrol Blue. S/s spare, Cream leather KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

Silverbear

Post by Silverbear » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:00 pm

I've just read some of the posts on the first page, yes I really have, and they are having the same type of conversations as here! Just swap 'which dishwasher tablet' for 'which unleaded fuel' and there is talk of an extended warranty. And pretty soon they will both get their power from a wall socket and both use an electric motor to drive them!

See, these things are all the same really, when you get down to the nitty gritty. Okay, I'll get me coat...

Return to “Introductions”