Winter tyres in the UK - worth it or not?

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Faults and Fixes
Deleted User 2278

Re: Winter tyres in the UK - worth it or not?

Post by Deleted User 2278 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:01 am

Alan Chapple wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:45 am
SkodaVRS1963 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:22 pm
Wgg1848 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:33 pm
Tyre technology has moved on, keep your money in your pocket and do not fall for this nonsense.
Good point; I've always flinched when having tyres changed, saying a quiet prayer that the rims don't get damaged.
FoxtrotAlpha wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:04 pm
The fact you you have AWD and snow tyres doesnt usually help you are you are gridlocked by numpty drivers who are hopeless in bad weather, usually dumping their car on the way home.
Also a good point, if the road is blocked then even a snowplough isn't going anywhere.
Yep, agree with all of this. If the snow is that bad then I just don't drive, its that simple.

And as above, you can spend a fortune on 4WD vehicle, winter tyres, snow chains etc but you are still likely to be stuck behind or ran into by someone else who hasn't, hence my first point.
Agreed, unless you have to drive your children to school, or work requires your presence or you have a ski holiday booked and the 800 miles between your house and the ski slope in the alps won't drive itself...

Or your child might have a music exam, or an audition or somewhere use they need to be and snow is no excuse.

The beauty of snow chains in my experience is that they are amazing and I have happily driven around lesser equipped cars, usually with my window down explaining to the hapless stranded motorist that snow chains are brilliant. I have to say it is not a way to make friends quickly but it is satisfying I am slightly ashamed to admit.

4x4 is a mixed blessing, it will get you going, but it won't corner or stop any better so drive like you don't have it and enjoy never getting stuck.

As with all technology one must be very careful that as a driver one does not nullify the advantage some technology bestows, so for example:

When you have Winter tyres, drive like you have Summer tyres. That way you have increased safety and the car behind will be able to stop in time because you are driving slowly for them not yourself.

If you have amazing headlights, drive at the same speed you used to, so that you have increased visibility not the same visibility because you are now driving faster in the dark.

Anti-lock brakes? Drive like you have not got them. If it comes on you are driving too fast.

Old and Grumpy

Post by Old and Grumpy » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:43 am

Silverbear wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:01 am

As with all technology one must be very careful that as a driver one does not nullify the advantage some technology bestows, so for example:

When you have Winter tyres, drive like you have Summer tyres. That way you have increased safety and the car behind will be able to stop in time because you are driving slowly for them not yourself.

If you have amazing headlights, drive at the same speed you used to, so that you have increased visibility not the same visibility because you are now driving faster in the dark.

Anti-lock brakes? Drive like you have not got them. If it comes on you are driving too fast.
Hooray for some common sense on this topic! 😁
2018 Kodiaq SE 1.4 TSI, 2WD, manual, 5 seater, Petrol Blue, Leicestershire. :D

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:26 am

Old and Grumpy wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:43 am
Silverbear wrote:

"When you have Winter tyres, drive like you have Summer tyres." complete and utter nonsense. In snow and ice thats a recipe for disaster.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Sportline - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey

Old and Grumpy

Post by Old and Grumpy » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:47 am

FoxtrotAlpha wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:26 am
Old and Grumpy wrote:
Silverbear wrote:

"When you have Winter tyres, drive like you have Summer tyres." complete and utter nonsense. In snow and ice thats a recipe for disaster.
Only if you're the sort of d******d who ignores the weather conditions.
2018 Kodiaq SE 1.4 TSI, 2WD, manual, 5 seater, Petrol Blue, Leicestershire. :D

Deleted User 2278

Post by Deleted User 2278 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:00 pm

FoxtrotAlpha wrote:
Old and Grumpy wrote:
Silverbear wrote:

Really, I'm speechless. Do you race around in the snow? I drive real slow in the snow.

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:32 pm

Silverbear wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:00 pm
FoxtrotAlpha wrote:
Old and Grumpy wrote:

Really, I'm speechless. Do you race around in the snow? I drive real slow in the snow.
No, I am quoting you! I drive to the conditions, this is a statement you made and not me. I am questioning your logic and not mine.

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:35 pm

Old and Grumpy wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:47 am
FoxtrotAlpha wrote:
Old and Grumpy wrote:

Only if you're the sort of d******d who ignores the weather conditions.
I was quoting silverbear previous comment, I was questioning that statement, actually I called it nonsense.

Deleted User 2278

Post by Deleted User 2278 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:54 pm

FoxtrotAlpha wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:32 pm
Silverbear wrote:
FoxtrotAlpha wrote:

?

No, I am quoting you! I drive to the conditions, this is a statement you made and not me. I am questioning your logic and not mine.
Let's think about that. Some of us have employers who insist we make every effort in all conditions. That means one must drive in snow and only a blocked road is sufficient excuse to not make it to work. Historically I would make such journeys on Summer tyres, poverty and not being able to afford a decent car or winter tyres not an excuse. So you do the best you can and there is a fair amount of slipping and sliding. I spun the car round once and another time slid sideways into a fence getting out the way of a 4x4 that chomped past me in the snow without even braking.

Then you get a bit better off and you can afford a better car and winter tyres. Do you drive as fast as possible at the limit of traction and perhaps beyond seeking to recapture the thrill of those Summer tyres?

No, you accept the increased safety that the extra grip of your Winter tyres give you and you keep your speed down as if you have Summer tyres on only this time you make it into work without slipping and sliding and you don't spin the car round.

When you have Winter tyres, you drive as though you have Summer tyres. You bank the extra safety, you don't neutralise it by going correspondingly faster.

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:10 pm

Silverbear wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:54 pm
FoxtrotAlpha wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:32 pm
Silverbear wrote:

?

Let's think about that. Some of us have employers who insist we make every effort in all conditions. That means one must drive in snow and only a blocked road is sufficient excuse to not make it to work. Historically I would make such journeys on Summer tyres, poverty and not being able to afford a decent car or winter tyres not an excuse. So you do the best you can and there is a fair amount of slipping and sliding. I spun the car round once and another time slid sideways into a fence getting out the way of a 4x4 that chomped past me in the snow without even braking.

Then you get a bit better off and you can afford a better car and winter tyres. Do you drive as fast as possible at the limit of traction and perhaps beyond seeking to recapture the thrill of those Summer tyres?

No, you accept the increased safety that the extra grip of your Winter tyres give you and you keep your speed down as if you have Summer tyres on only this time you make it into work without slipping and sliding and you don't spin the car round.

When you have Winter tyres, you drive as though you have Symmer tyres. You bank the extra safety, you don't neutralise it by going correspondingly faster.
That clarifies your previous comment as I read the initial one complely differently that this explanation.

Driving in snow is not difficult, the biggest concern I have is other peoples ability to risk assess their journey and drive in adverse conditions. No journey is important enough to risk an accident or injury. If employees cannot make it to work on a regular basis then they dont get paid and/or will be losing their jobs.

ThreeSixty

Post by ThreeSixty » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:01 pm

Hello, I am awaiting the delivery of my vRS in November and this is very pertinent question where I come from. There can be loads of snow, wet cold roads with black ice & the lot. Also go skiing in the mountains, hence I need winter tyres. However, have a few questions:-

what is the snow mode for? Can it be used with summer tyres?
Can 17" wheels be used on a vRS?