Winter tyres in the UK - worth it or not?

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Faults and Fixes
Old and Grumpy

Re: Winter tyres in the UK - worth it or not?

Post by Old and Grumpy » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:40 am

FoxtrotAlpha wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:58 pm
Old and Grumpy wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:08 am
All of which seems to confirm my belief that Michelin Cross Climate on a Kodiaq are probably the best all year compromise for most of us.
All depends on if it's worth the cost. Prices fitted for a 20" clossclimates averages out at £225 per wheel (only a quick search so probably cheaper elsewhere but not by much).

Assuming you have all four done then is it really worth the cost of £900 for the sake of a few centimetres of snow each year? Personally I wouldn't bother in those circumstances but am tempted where I live although the standard tyre work well in the past.
But four 18" Cross Climates will cost around £550, not too much more than four "normal" tyres. That could make the deal a good one.
2018 Kodiaq SE 1.4 TSI, 2WD, manual, 5 seater, Petrol Blue, Leicestershire. :D

Deleted User 2278

Post by Deleted User 2278 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:57 am

Old and Grumpy wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:40 am
FoxtrotAlpha wrote:
Old and Grumpy wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:08 am
All of which seems to confirm my belief that Michelin Cross Climate on a Kodiaq are probably the best all year compromise for most of us.
All depends on if it's worth the cost. Prices fitted for a 20" clossclimates averages out at £225 per wheel (only a quick search so probably cheaper elsewhere but not by much).

Assuming you have all four done then is it really worth the cost of £900 for the sake of a few centimetres of snow each year? Personally I wouldn't bother in those circumstances but am tempted where I live although the standard tyre work well in the past.
But four 18" Cross Climates will cost around £550, not too much more than four "normal" tyres. That could make the deal a good one.
One of the reasons I kept to the SE spec. Tyre cost, particularly as the vehicle ages, is I find a great annoyance. I always cost the tyres before buying a car which more or less means the smallest wheels. I do not understand the trend for ever bigger wheels. Bigger wheels are less comfortable, often don't look good and are easier to kerb, not to mention usually have more expensive tyres. Even 18 inch wheels are huge.

Can one get smaller 18 inch wheels as a zero cost option on the higher spec Kodiaqs? I'd have done that if it were possible had I had found something in the higher spec I could not do without. Of course one could buy smaller wheels and sell or discard the larger wheels and perhaps save money over the life of the car. I've considered doing this with 17 inch wheels rather than have to change them twice a year just to fit chains. It is tedious in the extreme and I've found the 17 inch steel wheels I have are more comfortable.

Deleted User 2278

Post by Deleted User 2278 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:09 am

Silverbear wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:57 am
Old and Grumpy wrote:
FoxtrotAlpha wrote:

One of the reasons I kept to the SE spec. Tyre cost, particularly as the vehicle ages, is I find a great annoyance. I always cost the tyres before buying a car which more or less means the smallest wheels. I do not understand the trend for ever bigger wheels. Bigger wheels are less comfortable, often don't look good and are easier to kerb, not to mention usually have more expensive tyres. Even 18 inch wheels are huge.

Can one get smaller 18 inch wheels as a zero cost option on the higher spec Kodiaqs? I'd have done that if it were possible had I found something in the higher spec I needed. Of course one could buy smaller wheels and sell or discard the larger wheels and perhaps save money over the life of the car. I've considered doing this with 17 inch wheels rather than have to change them twice a year just to fit chains. It is tedious in the extreme and I've found the 17 inch steel wheels I have are more comfortable.

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:05 pm

Silverbear wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:09 am
Silverbear wrote:
Old and Grumpy wrote:

Can one get smaller 18 inch wheels as a zero cost option on the higher spec Kodiaqs? I'd have done that if it were possible had I found something in the higher spec I needed. Of course one could buy smaller wheels and sell or discard the larger wheels and perhaps save money over the life of the car. I've considered doing this with 17 inch wheels rather than have to change them twice a year just to fit chains. It is tedious in the extreme and I've found the 17 inch steel wheels I have are more comfortable.
I would rather pay more for tyres (dont do huge mileage as we run the business from home) and have decent 19 or 20" rims one the car as they look significantly better in my opinion.

I really dont like the standard 18" Elbus rims on the Kodiaq, the other two cost options on the SE leave little to be desired in my book either. Too small and quite dated in design for me, but its subjective.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Sportline - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey

Deleted User 2278

Post by Deleted User 2278 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:18 pm

FoxtrotAlpha wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:05 pm
Silverbear wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:09 am
Silverbear wrote:

I would rather pay more for tyres (dont do huge mileage as we run the business from home) and have decent 19 or 20" rims one the car as they look significantly better in my opinion.

I really dont like the standard 18" Elbus rims on the Kodiaq, the other two cost options on the SE leave little to be desired in my book either. Too small and quite dated in design for me, but its subjective.
I suppose I like simple regular "spokes". I see lots of wheels on lots of cars and wonder why people like them. I don't even like the standard 19 inch wheels because the spokes are in regular groups (of 3?) rather than just regular. Funnily enough I can just about manage the Triglav wheels but only because they aren't the standard wheels. My neighbour has an SUV with two tone wheels, silver and black. No.........

SkodaVRS1963

Post by SkodaVRS1963 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:23 pm

FoxtrotAlpha wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:04 pm

I would agree with most of this. As the question referred to needing them in Bath then I think you would probably agree that due to the ridiculous low levels of snow they get down there then snow tyres on his vRS are probably not needed as 20” tyres are not cheap anyway.
The problem we have in the UK (at least down here) is that six snowflakes falling on Bath city centre causes all kinds of mayhem.

So in 2018 we had two serious blasts of winter (one at the start of March and one at the end)......total paralysis in this area.

Similarly, this year we had a nasty flurry at the start of February.....again, anything and everything just stopped. We had shops in the centre of Bath just not opening (and these were big department stores) because their staff "couldn't get to work".

Reminds me of a tale told to me by a Canadian woman who was born here, got taken to Canada by her parents when she was tiny and always yearned to come back here (God alone knows why).

So she made all the arrangements to move back here permanently in 2010; took off *on time* from Toronto in about 9ft of snow (perfectly normal for them) and on the final approach to Heathrow the captain puts out an announcement saying that due to "severe" weather conditions, they might have to do a few go-arounds.

Apparently there was a plane full of 280 Canadians staring out of the window on touchdown all saying "at what point does 3mm of snowfall constitute "severe" weather"?

You couldn't make it up.
Kodiaq VRS 2019 build, velvet red paint, heated windscreen, heated steering wheel

Wgg1848

Post by Wgg1848 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:33 pm

I had a Land Rover Freelander for some 5 years. I religiously changed from ‘normal tyres’ to ‘winter tyres’ every year. I was persuaded to use the same rims and simply change them in November/December and back in March/April.
Cost? Set of new winter tyres, £40 every year to change them over, Hassle of waiting/leaving vehicle, having to store the spare set of tyres, damage caused to rims each time they were changed.
In hindsight it was a complete and utter waste of time and money.
Tyre technology has moved on, keep your money in your pocket and do not fall for this nonsense.
1.4 TSI 150 Edition 4x4 5dr DSG Business Grey

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:02 pm

SkodaVRS1963 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:23 pm
FoxtrotAlpha wrote:

I would agree with most of this. As the question referred to needing them in Bath then I think you would probably agree that due to the ridiculous low levels of snow they get down there then snow tyres on his vRS are probably not needed as 20” tyres are not cheap anyway.
The problem we have in the UK (at least down here) is that six snowflakes falling on Bath city centre causes all kinds of mayhem.

So in 2018 we had two serious blasts of winter (one at the start of March and one at the end)......total paralysis in this area.

Similarly, this year we had a nasty flurry at the start of February.....again, anything and everything just stopped. We had shops in the centre of Bath just not opening (and these were big department stores) because their staff "couldn't get to work".

Reminds me of a tale told to me by a Canadian woman who was born here, got taken to Canada by her parents when she was tiny and always yearned to come back here (God alone knows why).

So she made all the arrangements to move back here permanently in 2010; took off *on time* from Toronto in about 9ft of snow (perfectly normal for them) and on the final approach to Heathrow the captain puts out an announcement saying that due to "severe" weather conditions, they might have to do a few go-arounds.

Apparently there was a plane full of 280 Canadians staring out of the window on touchdown all saying "at what point does 3mm of snowfall constitute "severe" weather"?

You couldn't make it up.
Maximum I have seen in Scotland is 5 foot snow (drifting higher) at which point I stayed in. Every time I have seen paralysis of traffic during periods of snow has always been due to others inability to drive in snow and not due to the roads being undrivable.

The fact you you have AWD and snow tyres doesnt usually help you are you are gridlocked by numpty drivers who are hopeless in bad weather, usually dumping their car on the way home.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Sportline - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey

SkodaVRS1963

Post by SkodaVRS1963 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:22 pm

Wgg1848 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:33 pm
Tyre technology has moved on, keep your money in your pocket and do not fall for this nonsense.
Good point; I've always flinched when having tyres changed, saying a quiet prayer that the rims don't get damaged.
FoxtrotAlpha wrote:
The fact you you have AWD and snow tyres doesnt usually help you are you are gridlocked by numpty drivers who are hopeless in bad weather, usually dumping their car on the way home.
Also a good point, if the road is blocked then even a snowplough isn't going anywhere.
Kodiaq VRS 2019 build, velvet red paint, heated windscreen, heated steering wheel

Alan Chapple

Post by Alan Chapple » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:45 am

SkodaVRS1963 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:22 pm
Wgg1848 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:33 pm
Good point; I've always flinched when having tyres changed, saying a quiet prayer that the rims don't get damaged.
FoxtrotAlpha wrote:
Also a good point, if the road is blocked then even a snowplough isn't going anywhere.
Yep, agree with all of this. If the snow is that bad then I just don't drive, its that simple.

And as above, you can spend a fortune on 4WD vehicle, winter tyres, snow chains etc but you are still likely to be stuck behind or ran into by someone else who hasn't, hence my first point.
2.0 TDI 190bhp, Edition, 4x4, DSG, Quartz Grey