FoxtrotAlpha

Re: Canton Sound System?

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:58 pm

Silverbear wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:38 pm
C2atb wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:05 pm
If you want a bit of depth to your music then it’s needed

I’ve never owned a car without a subwoofer but seriously miss when I’m in a rental you really hear what your missing
I'm not even sure I know what a subwoofer is.
A subwoofer is a loudspeaker component designed to reproduce very low bass frequencies. In the case of the Kodiaq it sits in the spare wheel, hence why you need to have a spare wheel added if you order Canton.

Canton also added a centre speaker which is mounted front centre in the dashboard therefore Canton has 10 speakers versus 8 on the standard spec. I believe the spec is as follows:

1 x 25W center speaker.
4 x 20W tweeters.
4 x 45W mid-bass speakers.
1 x Subwoofer (2x100W).
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Sportline - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey

Silverbear

Post by Silverbear » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:35 am

FoxtrotAlpha wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:58 pm
Silverbear wrote:
C2atb wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:05 pm
If you want a bit of depth to your music then it’s needed

I’ve never owned a car without a subwoofer but seriously miss when I’m in a rental you really hear what your missing
A subwoofer is a loudspeaker component designed to reproduce very low bass frequencies. In the case of the Kodiaq it sits in the spare wheel, hencel why you need to have a spare wheel added if you order Canton.

Canton also added a centre speaker which is mounted front centre in the dashboard therefore Canton has 10 speakers versus 8 on the standard spec. I believe the spec is as follows:

1 x 25W center speaker.
4 x 20W tweeters.
1 x Subwoofer (2x100W).
I understand...I think. This is the first car I have owned with speakers in the back so maybe next time for speakers in the boot. If the subwoofer is in the spare wheel where does the jack go?

I imagine the need for such speakers is dependent on the music one plays. In my wife's car, which only has speakers in the front door, the only music played is Capital Radio (which drives me mad). In my car I have convinced her that the radio is broken and stuck on Radio 3. She plays along. I suspect that subwoofers are not needed for most classical music as many of the instruments are relatively high frequency, eg violin, clarinet, trumpet etc.
SE (5 seats) 1.5 4x4 DSG, factory tow bar, drive mode selection, reversing camera, rough road package, folding door mirrors, 215/65R17 spare wheel.

iwarv

Post by iwarv » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:42 am

Does the Canton sound system not also do (road / wind) noise cancellation?
Even if not playing an audio source?

I recall reading as such somewhere.
Or perhaps in a dream.
SE-L 1.4 150bhp DSG 4x4, 7 Seats, Quartz Grey, Front Sensors, Front DashCam

Zach

Post by Zach » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:31 am

iwarv wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:42 am
Does the Canton sound system not also do (road / wind) noise cancellation?
Even if not playing an audio source?

I recall reading as such somewhere.
Or perhaps in a dream.
They say it does, but I reckon that's a bunch of crock. In NZ, Canton is standard on the 190PS TDI and 180PS TSI so cannot do A/B testing. Nobody options Canton on the lesser variants.
SOLD! BW32 2017 Kodiaq 190TDI Style 5 Seater in Quartz Grey + Sirius rims, 5yr Warranty, Sunroof, Sleep Pack, Rear Heated Seats, Driver Profiles
BW35 2019 Kodiaq RS 5 seater in Brilliant Silver + Ignite rims, Sunroof, Direct TPMS, Acoustic Windows

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:57 pm

Silverbear wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:35 am
FoxtrotAlpha wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:58 pm
Silverbear wrote:

A subwoofer is a loudspeaker component designed to reproduce very low bass frequencies. In the case of the Kodiaq it sits in the spare wheel, hencel why you need to have a spare wheel added if you order Canton.

1 x 25W center speaker.
4 x 20W tweeters.
1 x Subwoofer (2x100W).
I understand...I think. This is the first car I have owned with speakers in the back so maybe next time for speakers in the boot. If the subwoofer is in the spare wheel where does the jack go?

I imagine the need for such speakers is dependent on the music one plays. In my wife's car, which only has speakers in the front door, the only music played is Capital Radio (which drives me mad). In my car I have convinced her that the radio is broken and stuck on Radio 3. She plays along. I suspect that subwoofers are not needed for most classical music as many of the instruments are relatively high frequency, eg violin, clarinet, trumpet etc.
I would suggest classical music uses the entire frequency range.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Sportline - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey

Silverbear

Post by Silverbear » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:21 pm

FoxtrotAlpha wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:57 pm
I would suggest classical music uses the entire frequency range.
Indeed it does but mainly the middle and higher frequencies I suspect. Not much call for tuba, and the base drums and timpani are relatively rare. It's interesting to watch one of my children play piano. They play the usual stuff, currently learning a Chopin piece, but it is true of other stuff they have played like Mozart and it tends to be the middle and upper parts of the keyboard being used. I'm not a musician myself and this is obviously anecdotal but I suspect classical music is not a genre that has much action in the lower frequencies. That said I don't know the frequency range covered by subwoofers but my musical children have not criticised the car audio.

Their one complaint about the Kodiaq is that it is not a Superb which I had originally intended to purchase. They were looking forward to the yards of rear legroom but have now accepted the Kodiaq is not bad either, just not quite so roomy. It is irritating that the Kodiaq is not as long as a Superb, not for rear legroom, I need a larger boot!
SE (5 seats) 1.5 4x4 DSG, factory tow bar, drive mode selection, reversing camera, rough road package, folding door mirrors, 215/65R17 spare wheel.

J-R

Post by J-R » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:21 pm

Fuzzz wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:14 pm
Still canton is waaaaaay better than standard system. Standard system is totally crap...the worst I ever heard...so if possible take the canton...set the mode to DRIVER and voila...
I have the standard sound system and I enjoy listening to MP3 music in the car, and I think it's fine. It's certainly not high end, but I wouldn't describe it as crap.

JR
2019 Kodiaq 2.0 TDI 150bhp, 7-speed DSG, 2WD, 18" wheels, 7 seats, metallic silver, Kessy, Bolero, 3-zone climate, wireless cellphone charging, 9 airbags, Adaptive Cruise Control, blind spot warning, front & rear parking sensors, reverse camera.

C2atb

Post by C2atb » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:32 pm

Personally I find any kind of music sounds completely different with a sub even classical and also with classical the canton surround really brings it to life
Black magic 1.4 SE ,7 seats , canton , rear view , privacy glass with tints, heko wind deflectors , ambient lighting , Amundsen , kessy , power tailgate/foot ,DCC, 22” OZ wheels , sportline style grill,montecarlo badges , ghost lights

Silverbear

Post by Silverbear » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:04 pm

C2atb wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:32 pm
Personally I find any kind of music sounds completely different with a sub even classical and also with classical the canton surround really brings it to life
I did not know Canton included surround sound or even considered having surround sound in a car as never had it at home. Interesting point but thinking about listening to orchestras the sound is uni-directional all coming from the stage so if used to live orchestra not sure surround would give realistic sound. Isn't surround sound for listening to films so you hear something sneaking up behind you? I remember my parents used to have surround sound for their TV.

C2atb

Post by C2atb » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:06 pm

It is but the left right and centre works well , the canton has canton effects that you can adjust low frequencies aren’t directional and come from beneath if that makes sense . I always have it set for driver and works well . Obviously if heard better systems and built better systems in my time but for an upgrade it’s not bad at all
Black magic 1.4 SE ,7 seats , canton , rear view , privacy glass with tints, heko wind deflectors , ambient lighting , Amundsen , kessy , power tailgate/foot ,DCC, 22” OZ wheels , sportline style grill,montecarlo badges , ghost lights

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”