Advice, please, re this problem

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
Lawnbowler13

Advice, please, re this problem

Post by Lawnbowler13 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:27 pm

Hi all

I'm new to the forum but hoping someone can help who may have worked out how to update the maps.

I have followed the instructions on the Update Portal and downloaded the files, via Safari using an iMac, which seems to give me two main folders -Mib1 and Mib2, and then a text file, metainfo2.txt. The instructions say "Open the first file in the folder with the downloaded data and extract into the SD card".

Daft question I know but which folder am I supposed the be extracting to the SD card - is it the whole of the Mib1 folder or am I meant to open that and then transfer the contents of this folder? To be honest I've tried both and get an error message every time saying "ERROR: No data available. Please insert a source with software update data or check the source", although prior to this message there is a very brief message saying "Update available via SD1" within 15 secs of inserting the SD card, followed by searching for data, followed by the ERROR MESSAGE about 10 mins later.

I am using a Samsung Evo Plus 32GB SD card which has been formatted to MS-DOS (FAT32) format. I see some other comments about updating the SKODA-supplied SD card but, as I couldn't find one, I contacted my dealer who said that as this is a Columbus system and not provided with one..

I have also tried downloading onto a Sandisk 32 gb USB stick with the same results.

Has anyone else had the same problem and found a solution they can share or offer any advice. It would be appreciated as I have spent countless hours re-downloading the update both on my Mac computer via Safari and Chrome browsers and on Windows 10 via Boot Camp using both Microsoft Edge and Firefox browsers in case of browser issues but have still got the same results.

C2atb

Re: Advice, please, re this problem

Post by C2atb » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:46 pm

Have you tried online update ?
Black magic 1.4 SE ,7 seats , canton , rear view , privacy glass with tints, heko wind deflectors , ambient lighting , Amundsen , kessy , power tailgate/foot ,DCC, 22” OZ wheels , sportline style grill,montecarlo badges , ghost lights

C2atb

Post by C2atb » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:47 pm

If you can connect to your home WiFi etc
Black magic 1.4 SE ,7 seats , canton , rear view , privacy glass with tints, heko wind deflectors , ambient lighting , Amundsen , kessy , power tailgate/foot ,DCC, 22” OZ wheels , sportline style grill,montecarlo badges , ghost lights

Lawnbowler13

Post by Lawnbowler13 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:18 pm

You can only use online update or connect to home wifi if subscribed to Skoda Connect which I refuse to do on principle. Why should you have to pay an annual fee after spending over £30,000 on buying the car and only getting 1 years free subscription?

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:52 pm

Sorry I cannot answer the question directly however I would suggest that an SD Card of 32gb needs to be formatted as exFAT and not FAT32, you are on the limit for FAT32 on a 32gb card. Any card above 32gb must be exFAT.

The issues maybe how Apple related of which I know nothing as I don’t use Apple products due to their attitude to their closed architecture, deplorable customer service and overpriced products. Apple are evil.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Edition - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey - Canton
Sportline on order with Virtual Cockpit.

MrTrilby

Post by MrTrilby » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:03 am

Lawnbowler13 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:27 pm
I have followed the instructions on the Update Portal and downloaded the files, via Safari using an iMac, which seems to give me two main folders -Mib1 and Mib2, and then a text file, metainfo2.txt. The instructions say "Open the first file in the folder with the downloaded data and extract into the SD card".

Daft question I know but which folder am I supposed the be extracting to the SD card - is it the whole of the Mib1 folder or am I meant to open that and then transfer the contents of this folder?
You need to copy the text files and the the two folders (Mib1 and Mib2) directly to the SD card. Don't put them in a folder - leave them at the top level of the SD card. If you're using a Mac to copy them, you then need to clean the SD card - Macs add additional files that upset the car. From the App Store, download the free app called "CleanMyDrive2" and ask it to clean the SD card. Eject the card and put it in the car and it should work. You'll need to go to the update menu on the car, or select the SD card as a source in the Media menu to start the process. From there it is easy.

CleanMyDrive2: https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/cleanmydr ... 0159?mt=12
190 4x4 SEL DSG with pano roof, ACC, reversing camera, towbar, heated multifunction steering wheel, heated front & rear seats, rear tables, luggage net, electric driver seat, ambient lighting, media command

iwarv

Post by iwarv » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:05 am

Not a helpful comment, but sharing my experience.

I tried formatting the SD card on a Windows box and on a MacBook Air, then unzip the downloads to the SD card.
That always succeeds.
But when I then pop the card into the car, it spots there is an update on the card but then sits there spinning for a few minutes before giving up.
In the end, I repeated the entire process on a really old netbook running the Ubuntu OS and lo and behold; the car updates happily.

I think mine's probably an isolated problem though.

Also, I wish Skoda would publish the MD5SUM of the download file(s) on the portal website. It's such a huge download that being able to verify the download afterwards would be a boon.

See also this thread.
SE-L 1.4 150bhp DSG 4x4, 7 Seats, Quartz Grey, Front Sensors, Front DashCam

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”