Plastic trim on B pillar getting increasingly scratched.

All Skoda Kodiaq related discussions
Silverbear

Plastic trim on B pillar getting increasingly scratched.

Post by Silverbear » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:04 am

Not perhaps an issue for the folks who drive around town or open country roads but for those of us who drive down very narrow country lanes with bushes and tree branches encroaching into the road it is impossible not to scrap the car down the side of minor branches and twigs sticking out into the road.

It can be hard enough driving sufficiently carefully to stop the paint lacquer getting a multitude of scratches the length of the car but the plastic trim on the B pillar between the doors is very delicate and getting increasingly scratched.

Anyone know of a way to clean up the plastic trim?
SE (5 seats) 1.5 4x4 DSG, factory tow bar, drive mode selection, reversing camera, rough road package, folding door mirrors, 215/65R17 spare wheel.

old man

Re: Plastic trim on B pillar getting increasingly scratched.

Post by old man » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:47 am

Is the trim actually scratched or are there just resin type marks from whatever you've brushed against ?

If it's surface marks, then there'll be a number of products that will probably remove them. If the trim is actually scratched i.e. you can feel the indent with a fingernail, then here is probably not the right place to ask the question. Knowing what the trim is made from would help in assessing what to do about it, so maybe a conversation with a bodyshop, a car detailer or someone like Dent Devils/Chips away might help point you in the right direction.

If you manage to get it sorted but then the same is going to happen again, you might consider getting the pillars professionally wrapped, or applying something like Helicopter tape which is quite hardy stuff (they use it on helicopter blades amongst other things) and will prevent future occurrences.

I'm currently using Clear Gorilla tape on the interior of my B pillar because I've been scratching it as I get into my seat. It's working well but I don't know how it would fare outside.

Zach

Re: Plastic trim on B pillar getting increasingly scratched.

Post by Zach » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:34 pm

A corrective cut and polish would have to be done and then a protective film applied to the trims.
BW32 2017 Kodiaq 190TDI Style 5 Seater in Quartz Grey + Sirius rims, 5yr Warranty, Sunroof, Sleep Pack, Rear Heated Seats, Driver Profiles
BW35 2019 Kodiaq RS 5 seater in Brilliant Silver + Ignite rims, Sunroof, Direct TPMS, Acoustic Windows

Return to “Main Skoda Kodiaq chat”