Antistatic interior plastic treatment.

Interior and Exterior bodywork Faults and Fixes
old man

Antistatic interior plastic treatment.

Post by old man » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:01 pm

Does anyone have first hand experience of an antistatic treatment for interior plastics that actually works ?

I get a little fed up with all the dust that seems to quickly accumulate, and once wiped off, it reappears just as quickly.

I don't want something that affects, or changes the appearance of the plastic it's applied to, I just want something that will aid removal of said dust and then keep it at bay for a reasonable period.

I see there are products on the market that claim to do this job, but they would wouldn't they, so can anyone help please :) ?

Silverbear

Re: Antistatic interior plastic treatment.

Post by Silverbear » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:20 pm

Fundamentally you are asking for a treatment that renders an insulator conducting to dissipate charge. Discharging a surface is one thing but keeping it conducting is another.
SE (5 seats) 1.5 4x4 DSG, factory tow bar, drive mode selection, reversing camera, rough road package, folding door mirrors, 215/65R17 spare wheel.

old man

Post by old man » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:50 pm

Silverbear wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:20 pm
Fundamentally you are asking for a treatment that renders an insulator conducting to dissipate charge. Discharging a surface is one thing but keeping it conducting is another.

Could you say that in English please ? :shock: Nobody ever accused me of being bright :lol:

Silverbear

Post by Silverbear » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:18 pm

old man wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:50 pm
Silverbear wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:20 pm

Could you say that in English please ? :shock: Nobody ever accused me of being bright :lol:
I can't see how it is possible. When you discharge the surface there will be a time, possibly a very short time, where the surface remains little charged and dust does not gather but inevitably the surface will acquire charge again. Aircon, because it drys the air, will speed the charging because more conducting wet air helps dissipate charge and might also coat the plastic in a conducting layer of moisture.

Even a surface treatment, mimicking a layer of conducting water, will need to discharge.

If I had to hazard a guess I'd say keep the aircon off but I doubt it will make much of a difference as cars are static generators.
SE (5 seats) 1.5 4x4 DSG, factory tow bar, drive mode selection, reversing camera, rough road package, folding door mirrors, 215/65R17 spare wheel.

old man

Post by old man » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:21 pm

Thanks Silverbear, I get it now. I guess I'll just have to live with the dust then because I can't do without the AC.
Having said that, I always knew the dust would return, I was just looking for something that would stop it gathering so quickly.

Return to “Interior and Exterior Cosmetics”