Medical Emergency

The place to discuss everything else..
old man

Medical Emergency

Post by old man » Wed May 29, 2019 5:51 pm

Here's a cat among the pigeons question that my wife asked me today whilst driving on a motorway.

She said " If this was a normal car with a normal pull up handbrake lever and you have a stroke whilst driving, I would try to lean over and endeavour to steer the car over to the hard shoulder and apply the handbrake in a controlled manner to slow us down. But, this is not a normal car (to her) because it's a DSG and has an electronic handbrake, so what should I do in this car in those circumstances" ?

Good question I thought, mainly because I assumed that applying an electronic handbrake whilst in forward motion would be somewhat sudden and might be dangerous.

So, over to you guys. What would you do if you were the passenger in an automatic car with an electronic handbrake and your driver has a sudden stroke ? Apart from panic that is :shock:

I realise that circumstances prevailing at the time would play a big part in your decision, assuming you're lucky enough to have time to make one.

Swindiaq

Re: Medical Emergency

Post by Swindiaq » Wed May 29, 2019 6:05 pm

Good question!
I'd slide the DSG into 'manual' and go down through the gears then finally into neutral.
Never tried it myself but I assumed the handbrake just wouldn't come on when driving at speed.
2017 SE L / 1.4 TSI 2wd DSG / 7seat / black everything / Canton / front sensors / rear cam / ACC / traffic recog / Williams ceramic protection

SkodaVRS1963

Post by SkodaVRS1963 » Wed May 29, 2019 6:27 pm

More technology = more capacity to go wrong.

My ex-line manager had a Nissan Qashqai on PCP where pretty much everything on it was electric.

Except he changed jobs and his annual mileage went from 5,000 to 39,000 a year.......so he chose to park the thing up Mon-Fri and use an old Ford Focus for his commute.

One Saturday he took his boy down to the local fast food drive-thru in the Qashqai (single lane) and the battery died. With the handbrake on.

He couldn't even push the thing out of the way.......apparently he had angry punters behind him all tooting and shouting that they couldn't get past him to pick up their Zinger Burgers.

He laughs about it now but he was *not* a happy bunny at the time.
Kodiaq VRS 2019 build, velvet red paint, heated windscreen, heated steering wheel

old man

Post by old man » Wed May 29, 2019 7:02 pm

SkodaVRS1963 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 6:27 pm
More technology = more capacity to go wrong.

My ex-line manager had a Nissan Qashqai on PCP where pretty much everything on it was electric.

Except he changed jobs and his annual mileage went from 5,000 to 39,000 a year.......so he chose to park the thing up Mon-Fri and use an old Ford Focus for his commute.

One Saturday he took his boy down to the local fast food drive-thru in the Qashqai (single lane) and the battery died. With the handbrake on.

He couldn't even push the thing out of the way.......apparently he had angry punters behind him all tooting and shouting that they couldn't get past him to pick up their Zinger Burgers.

He laughs about it now but he was *not* a happy bunny at the time.
Nice story and I'd never considered that the handbrake won't work if the battery is dead, but it didn't answer my question.

Furthermore, although I haven't looked in the handbook, a quick Google search reveals (in other cars at least) that there's an emergency electronic handbrake release somewhere in the car, so I have to assume at present that our Skodas have one as well.

MrTrilby

Post by MrTrilby » Wed May 29, 2019 7:06 pm

No idea what I’d do, but as a warning, activating the electronic handbrake whilst moving stops the car *very* quickly. Check behind before you try it.

I tried it on our driveway and it stopped a lot more violently than I expected it might.
190 4x4 SEL DSG with pano roof, ACC, reversing camera, towbar, heated multifunction steering wheel, heated front & rear seats, rear tables, luggage net, electric driver seat, ambient lighting, media command

Kenny R

Post by Kenny R » Wed May 29, 2019 7:14 pm

Swindiaq wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 6:05 pm
Good question!
I'd slide the DSG into 'manual' and go down through the gears then finally into neutral.
Never tried it myself but I assumed the handbrake just wouldn't come on when driving at speed.
Sounds like the best course of action, but you can apply the EHB whilst the car is in motion, but there is no finesse it’s either on or off so not recommend to pull on at 70 mph :shock:
Candy White 2.0 TSi SE L 7 seat. Heated windscreen/ nozzles, kids pack, front rear parking sensors, reversing camera and spare wheel, Milotec rear bumper inserts.
And for the winter months: 17” Black alloys with 215x65x17 Nokian WR SUV3 winter tyres.

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Wed May 29, 2019 7:15 pm

Call me old fashioned but I read the manual, I know I'm crazy!

“Emergency braking function
If, while driving, a fault occurs in the brake system, the parking brake can be used as an emergency brake .

Pull the  button in the direction of arrow 1 and Fig. 254 hold (you hear an audible signal), the vehicle starts to brake strongly.
The braking process is interrupted when the key is released or the accelerator pedal is actuated”

Additionally, when I had a duff battery which was replaced the electronic break had enough power from that to work, it didn’t have enough power for anything else to work so I would suggest the battery needs to be really gubbed for itnot the activate or release the break.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Sportline - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey
Somewhere in Scotland.

C2atb

Post by C2atb » Wed May 29, 2019 8:46 pm

I can confirm a quick pull at 50 temp applies harshly it but only momentarily, it beeps then carry’s on . I’m guessing the holding on will apply the fronts as well

I would not like to be in that situation at all
Black magic 1.4 SE ,7 seats , canton , rear view , privacy glass with tints, heko wind deflectors , ambient lighting , Amundsen , kessy , power tailgate/foot ,DCC, 22” OZ wheels , sportline style grill,montecarlo badges , ghost lights

Zach

Post by Zach » Wed May 29, 2019 9:13 pm

Pulling the EPB button engages an emergency braking function that uses the ABS to bring the car to a stop quite quickly. It’s pretty harsh
BW32 2017 Kodiaq 190TDI Style 5 Seater in Quartz Grey + Sirius rims, 5yr Warranty, Sunroof, Sleep Pack, Rear Heated Seats, Driver Profiles
BW35 2019 Kodiaq RS 5 seater in Brilliant Silver + Ignite rims, Sunroof, Direct TPMS, Acoustic Windows

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Thu May 30, 2019 9:01 am

First time I reversed too fast and didn't see the (soft-low) hedge behind me the reverse anti collision brake nearly gave me whip lash and the noise is horrendous, It sounded as though I had hit a brick wall. :o
I don't think I'll be trying the emergency EPB any time soon! :shock:
ModeratorEdition .1.5DSG. Petrol Blue. S/s spare, Cream leather KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”