7 seaters SE vs Edition (petrol/diesel) - which model ?

All Skoda Kodiaq related discussions
Silverbear
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu May 09, 2019 9:54 am

Re: 7 seaters SE vs Edition (petrol/diesel) - which model ?

Post by Silverbear » Tue May 14, 2019 6:57 pm

Plodd wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 6:39 pm
Silverbear wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 11:38 am
We drive in ECO mode everywhere though no idea what difference it makes.

I would be interested to know how you drive in eco mode as the SE doesn't have drive modes just a sport mode for the dsg gearbox. My SE also didn't have the 'coasting' function.

I would also agree the headlights make a huge difference to the look of the car. I have replaced an SE with an SE L and the LED lights make a HUGE difference. The whole car feels more 'special' and I loved my SE. It seems quieter too and as they are both diesels SE a 150 and SE L a 190 I can only assume the SE L has more soundproofing. I could be wrong though.
I can confirm that an SE 1.5 4x4 DSG with Drive Mode Select has an ECO mode complete with coasting and also a snow mode and a few others, including sport I think. Mine has so far lived in ECO mode although it is irritating that it must be reset everytime one begins a journey. It is a very inexpensive option so should pay for itself over the cars lifetime.
SE (5 seats) 1.5 4x4 DSG, tow bar, drive mode, reversing camera, rough road, folding mirrors, 215/65R17 spare wheel.


Silverbear
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu May 09, 2019 9:54 am

Re: 7 seaters SE vs Edition (petrol/diesel) - which model ?

Post by Silverbear » Tue May 14, 2019 7:21 pm

H2UBS wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 6:01 pm
FoxtrotAlpha wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 5:15 pm
If you go for the Edition, get the black Triglav which are a cheap optional extra (£190 from memory) The Kodiaq looks so much better with darker wheels in my book.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder .. not for me and certainly not for £190 .. just a Marmite thing !

For me it's the lights not the wheels .. LED v Halogen headlights .. no contest !
Oh no no no. It's the wheels! The wheels you get to see when it sits in your driveway. The lights are only noticed by other people who won't care anyway when you are driving the thing. Why are LED better? Just lights to me.
SE (5 seats) 1.5 4x4 DSG, tow bar, drive mode, reversing camera, rough road, folding mirrors, 215/65R17 spare wheel.


Silverbear
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu May 09, 2019 9:54 am

Re: 7 seaters SE vs Edition (petrol/diesel) - which model ?

Post by Silverbear » Tue May 14, 2019 7:38 pm

FoxtrotAlpha wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 6:36 pm
According to another threads the 1.5 TSI engine is not worth considering due technical problems. I would rule it out purely on that.
Is this the kangarooing I have read about? In my experience petrol engines are prone to this when cold at low RPM. My last car was a diesel and the first car I've had that did not suffer this. My 1.5 seems fine too.
SE (5 seats) 1.5 4x4 DSG, tow bar, drive mode, reversing camera, rough road, folding mirrors, 215/65R17 spare wheel.


Plodd
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:50 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: 7 seaters SE vs Edition (petrol/diesel) - which model ?

Post by Plodd » Tue May 14, 2019 8:11 pm

Silverbear wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 6:57 pm
Plodd wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 6:39 pm
Silverbear wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 11:38 am
We drive in ECO mode everywhere though no idea what difference it makes.

I would be interested to know how you drive in eco mode as the SE doesn't have drive modes just a sport mode for the dsg gearbox. My SE also didn't have the 'coasting' function.

I would also agree the headlights make a huge difference to the look of the car. I have replaced an SE with an SE L and the LED lights make a HUGE difference. The whole car feels more 'special' and I loved my SE. It seems quieter too and as they are both diesels SE a 150 and SE L a 190 I can only assume the SE L has more soundproofing. I could be wrong though.
I can confirm that an SE 1.5 4x4 DSG with Drive Mode Select has an ECO mode complete with coasting and also a snow mode and a few others, including sport I think. Mine has so far lived in ECO mode although it is irritating that it must be reset everytime one begins a journey. It is a very inexpensive option so should pay for itself over the cars lifetime.
Would that be as a paid option then as mine and the Skoda brochures state the SE L has that over the spec of an SE for the UK market at least.
Kodiaq 2.0tdi 190 4X4 DSG SE L in Business Grey.


B250
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat May 11, 2019 11:05 am

Re: 7 seaters SE vs Edition (petrol/diesel) - which model ?

Post by B250 » Tue May 14, 2019 9:05 pm

Thank you all for your feedback - it gave me a food for thought ... :-)
We decided to go for SE 2.0 Diesel as this was the cheapest option (plus fuel usage should be lower).
I just wonder if this is worth expanding standard warranty to 4 years (to cover PCP) - it costs £300 ...
What do you think ?


Silverbear
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu May 09, 2019 9:54 am

Re: 7 seaters SE vs Edition (petrol/diesel) - which model ?

Post by Silverbear » Tue May 14, 2019 9:09 pm

Plodd wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 8:11 pm
Silverbear wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 6:57 pm
Plodd wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 6:39 pm

I would be interested to know how you drive in eco mode as the SE doesn't have drive modes just a sport mode for the dsg gearbox. My SE also didn't have the 'coasting' function.

I would also agree the headlights make a huge difference to the look of the car. I have replaced an SE with an SE L and the LED lights make a HUGE difference. The whole car feels more 'special' and I loved my SE. It seems quieter too and as they are both diesels SE a 150 and SE L a 190 I can only assume the SE L has more soundproofing. I could be wrong though.
I can confirm that an SE 1.5 4x4 DSG with Drive Mode Select has an ECO mode complete with coasting and also a snow mode and a few others, including sport I think. Mine has so far lived in ECO mode although it is irritating that it must be reset everytime one begins a journey. It is a very inexpensive option so should pay for itself over the cars lifetime.
Would that be as a paid option then as mine and the Skoda brochures state the SE L has that over the spec of an SE for the UK market at least.
Yes, it was about £100 I think. I wanted to avoid some of the SE L features (19 inch wheels, keyless entry and electric boot). I prefer the 18" Elbrus wheels which I think are prettier, less likely to be kerbed due to smaller diameter, and more comfortable due to increased depth of rubber, not to mention replacement tyres are less expensive. It's quite noticable that my Kodiaq is even more comfortable on its 17 inch steel wheels and winter tyres. I wish I'd purchased the 17 inch alloy wheels now rather than the steel wheels and I'd keep them on year round on CrossClimates. I might yet do that if I get fed up with jacking the car up four times twice a year.

The equipment I did want, that appears on the SE L, are Drive Mode Select and folding mirrors and the full compliment of reversing lights. That the reversing camera option which provides the extra reversing light also provides working lights on the boot is a bonus. From the back my SE looks like an SE L.
SE (5 seats) 1.5 4x4 DSG, tow bar, drive mode, reversing camera, rough road, folding mirrors, 215/65R17 spare wheel.


Silverbear
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu May 09, 2019 9:54 am

Re: 7 seaters SE vs Edition (petrol/diesel) - which model ?

Post by Silverbear » Tue May 14, 2019 9:20 pm

B250 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:05 pm
Thank you all for your feedback - it gave me a food for thought ... :-)
We decided to go for SE 2.0 Diesel as this was the cheapest option (plus fuel usage should be lower).
I just wonder if this is worth expanding standard warranty to 4 years (to cover PCP) - it costs £300 ...
What do you think ?
Tricky one that. In my experience cars tend to go wrong when new and when old. Inbetween they tend to have been sorted out during the standard warranty period and are not yet old enough to start going wrong again. That said it is only £300... and everyone will have different tales of woe: I know I have!
SE (5 seats) 1.5 4x4 DSG, tow bar, drive mode, reversing camera, rough road, folding mirrors, 215/65R17 spare wheel.


Post Reply

Return to “Main Skoda Kodiaq chat”