Kids threw rocks at my Kodiaq and dented bonnet

All Skoda Kodiaq related discussions
DrMatt

Kids threw rocks at my Kodiaq and dented bonnet

Post by DrMatt » Sun May 05, 2019 11:52 am

So I visited a school last week to observe a trainee teacher and parked my car in the school carpark. When I got back to it a member of staff was there and asked me to check it over as kids from the school next door had apparently been throwing rocks over the fence at cars. It was dirty so I couldn’t really see anything. It all seemed okay but this morning I washed it and found a 50p size dent and scratches where a rock has obviously hit the bonnet. I thought it was bird poo before washing.

So angry. How much is this going to cost? Anyone had a bonnet repaired and resprayed? Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
Matt
Ordered in September 2018; collected 18th December. 1.5TSi ACT DSG Edition in Black Magic (the one true colour!) with Virtual Pedal. What a beast!! Why did I waste 20 years of hard earned cash on Audis?

FoxtrotAlpha

Re: Kids threw rocks at my Kodiaq and dented bonnet

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Sun May 05, 2019 12:48 pm

First and foremost claim against the school if you have witnesses.

Second, I was hit in a car park and as expected whoever did it did a runner. The damage was over two front panels and needed straightening out and respayed. I used a local (and very well regarded) body shop to do the work. They did a blinding job and quickly. That cost me £250, a bargain compared to paying excesses and getting grief from my insurance company. So I would suggest you ask around before going to insurance or Skoda, Skoda dealers near me only farm out the work anyway.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Sportline - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey
Somewhere in Scotland.

DrMatt

Post by DrMatt » Sun May 05, 2019 1:13 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. I am hopeful that someone knows who it was as the school had notified the owner of the car next to mine. That was who the person was who alerted me as they had come out to check their own vehicle. I will call on Tuesday and ask to speak to her and see where it goes. Not that I will probably get anything out of them. I guess I could inform the police as it is criminal damage but again, probably won’t have much joy.

Thanks for the advice on price, that is reassuring.
Ordered in September 2018; collected 18th December. 1.5TSi ACT DSG Edition in Black Magic (the one true colour!) with Virtual Pedal. What a beast!! Why did I waste 20 years of hard earned cash on Audis?

Shotto

Post by Shotto » Sun May 05, 2019 5:20 pm

Just had a dent removed from my bonnet after a branch fell on my car when driving home from work in the strong winds we had last weekend.
Cost me £120 and the job was perfect

Where abouts are you located ?

IMG_20190429_085820.jpg

2.0 tdi 190 DSG sportline 7 seat in white.
Virtual dash and reversing camera.

DrMatt

Post by DrMatt » Sun May 05, 2019 5:26 pm

Hi

I am in Lincolnshire. Problem is it’s not just a dent, it was a chunk of concrete so it has scratched right through to the metal. Good news about the repair to yours that is a great price!!

Matt

Shotto

Post by Shotto » Sun May 05, 2019 5:40 pm

If anyone is in need of paintless dent removal in the Bristol , south Wales area I highly recommend these guys

Screenshot_20190505_183933_com.facebook.katana.jpg

2.0 tdi 190 DSG sportline 7 seat in white.
Virtual dash and reversing camera.

Old and Grumpy

Post by Old and Grumpy » Sun May 05, 2019 6:24 pm

Dr. Matt, the school's insurance should be picking up the bill. You have one witness in the form of the other car owner, and they have an informant. If the school or their insurers try to wriggle out of responsibility then go through Skoda Ensurance and your insurers and make a formal claim. It will cost the school's s insurers more if they choose to go that route, so if they have any sense they will tell you to get it repaired and they will pick up the bill.
2018 Kodiaq SE 1.4 TSI, 2WD, manual gearbox, 5 seater, Petrol Blue, absolutely standard, no extra toys, (92Kw more than enough for my needs), Leicestershire. :D

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Sun May 05, 2019 7:36 pm

I did look at using a well know national dent repair company but they were so national that they wouldn’t come out to where I live as it was too rural.
Somewhere in Scotland.

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Sun May 05, 2019 7:41 pm

Shotto wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 5:20 pm
Just had a dent removed from my bonnet after a branch fell on my car when driving home from work in the strong winds we had last weekend.
Cost me £120 and the job was perfect

Where abouts are you located ?
The damage I had repaired was allot more significant than yours, it was two panels and needed bending back out, filled and resprayed so I was happy at £250.

For £120 it’s not worth considering telling your insurance company which makes it bit of a nonsense really.

In this case the school should pick up the cost of repairs as well as out of pocket expenses and some level of compensation. If there are signs saying ‘parking at your own Rick etc.’ Then it maybe more of a challenge.
Somewhere in Scotland.

DrMatt

Post by DrMatt » Sun May 05, 2019 8:45 pm

Thanks all. I will try contacting the school for an amicable settlement on Tuesday. Otherwise I will have to let the insurance company deal with it. I don’t want to let this go out of principle. I would much rather not have a claim on my insurance but if that’s the only way...

Return to “Main Skoda Kodiaq chat”