Moving to Skoda!

New to the Skoda Kodiaq Forums? Introduce yourself here
Audievo

Moving to Skoda!

Post by Audievo » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:35 pm

Hi all, looking to move (maybe) to Skoda from Audi.
Currently driving an A5 but looking @ a Kodiaq.
Big question...... do I need a 4x4 as I have been offered a very good deal on a fwd pre reg (68 delivery miles) 2.0ltr dsg.
So, should I take this fwd will I regret it when the snow hits or will I just invest in snow tyres and get away with it.
Anyone got a fwd 2ltr diesel who could advise,
Thanks all

Zach

Re: Moving to Skoda!

Post by Zach » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:04 am

The 2.0 TDI 4x2 spins the wheels a lot in daily driving, so would definitely recommend the 4x4
BW32 2017 Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 TDI Style 5 Seater in Quartz Grey Metallic + Sirius rims, Extended Warranty, Panoramic Sunroof, heated washer jets, sleep pack, rear heated seats, 3rd key + driver profiles| RS to come..?

Old and Grumpy

Post by Old and Grumpy » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:31 am

Zach wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:04 am
The 2.0 TDI 4x2 spins the wheels a lot in daily driving, so would definitely recommend the 4x4
Sounds like a heavy right foot!
Kodiaq SE 1.4 TSI, 2WD, Manual gearbox, 5 seater, Petrol blue, absolutely standard, no extra toys.
My best car in 55 years of driving, including my previous Superb. :)

Swindiaq

Post by Swindiaq » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:43 am

Depends entirely on your circumstances. Personally I am fine with adjusting my driving style to cope with (southern UK) bad weather, and use the factory fit tyres all year round.

For the 1 or 2 days a year a 4x4 would be of significant benefit to me, it does not justify the additional cost.
2017 SE L / 1.4 TSI 2wd DSG / 7seat / black everything / Canton / front sensors / rear cam / ACC / traffic recog / Williams ceramic protection

markymate

Post by markymate » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:44 am

My 2WD Kodiaq has done just fine all winter for me. But if you live in a hilly area, or on farm land, or can't resist the urge to go out driving on a snowy day, then I guess you'll need a 4X4!!
Kodiaq SE L 7 seat 1.4TSi 150 DSG. Petrol blue, black leather and some other bits and pieces

Kenny R

Post by Kenny R » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:51 am

A 2WD with winter / all season tyres will cope so much better in winter conditions, including snow than a 4x4 with the standard fit “ summer” tyres. 4x4 on its own doesn’t make it any easier to drive on snow/ice, it just means you’ll be spinning 4 wheels instead of 2 :lol:
It’s all down to having the appropriate tyres for the conditions.
Last edited by Kenny R on Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Candy White 2.0 TSi SE L 7 seat. Heated windscreen/ nozzles, kids pack, front rear parking sensors, reversing camera and spare wheel, Milotec rear bumper inserts.
And for the winter months: 17” Black alloys with 215x65x17 Nokian WR SUV3 winter tyres.

Old and Grumpy

Post by Old and Grumpy » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:54 am

Has anyone any experience of using Michelin Cross Climate tyres with 2WD Kodiaqs?
Kodiaq SE 1.4 TSI, 2WD, Manual gearbox, 5 seater, Petrol blue, absolutely standard, no extra toys.
My best car in 55 years of driving, including my previous Superb. :)

Audievo

Post by Audievo » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:46 pm

Hmmm. So some ok, some not. I live on a very steep hill that the local council have decided in the last 2 years to take off their gritting route.
When it snows it is a nightmare.
I know it’s only a few days a year but it is a big inconvenience.
So it’s either 4x4 or 2wd with cross climate tyres.
That’s another thing, does anyone run on cross climate tyres?
I run Michelin agilis alpin winter tyres but even these struggle up hill in snow.

Kodiconvert

Post by Kodiconvert » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:43 pm

I've stayed with 4x4 for the past 12 years in various cars. I wouldn't go back to 2 wheel drive now. Its not just in snow that it helps. Personally I think the small difference (overall) in mpg is worth the reassurance. I accept a 2wd with all season or winter tyres will be equal to 4x4 (in most cases) but as you are on a steep hill anyway I would just go 4x4.
31/01/19. Ordered Kodiaq SE L 2.0 TSI 190 DSG 4x4 in metallic petrol blue with beige interior
14 options added
Expect to collect early May

Living in Somerset UK

DrMatt

Post by DrMatt » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:34 pm

Old and Grumpy wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:54 am
Has anyone any experience of using Michelin Cross Climate tyres with 2WD Kodiaqs?
Yep,

Just collected my Kodiaq in December and it has now done 1000 miles. As previously reported on this forum, I had the tyres swapped before collection and had CrossClimates fitted. they have always been brilliant on my wife's MPV and although I have always run Conti winters and swapped back to summer rubber when I was running a fast hatch, I thought I would take the plunge and save a LOT of space...the Kodiaq 19" wheels with tyres fitted are huge.

Since collection, the weather has been consistently below or near to 7 degrees and I have been really impressed with performance and grip, as well as comfort and noise. Today I drove in snow for the first time and was seriously impressed. This next comment sounds contrived but is absolutely true...

My neighbour has a 4x4 and was slithering around in our shared turnaround today which is on a slope. He eventually managed to reverse back into his driveway. I thought I was going to struggle in my 2wd but cautiously tried to reverse off the ice and snow in the turnaround... after a minor wheel spin, I just reversed back with no issues at all...!!

I hope this helps. CrossClimates have been nothing but good for us as a family. Continental has now brought out a competitor but it's not yet available on 19's. I did not choose 4x4 because, as previous posts have alluded to, the tyres are more important and I only drive on roads, and the snow is only for a few days a year. And I actually value fuel consumption and retail price over a badge.

I have no issue with why someone who needs 4wd would buy a REAL 4x4, but really, this car is so good in 2wd, why bother? If you are a farmer, buy a Landrover...

Rant over. Final word...Just do it, I don't regret leaving Audi at all.
Ordered in September 2018; collected 18th December. 1.5TSi ACT DSG Edition in Black Magic (the one true colour!) with Virtual Pedal. What a beast!! Why did I waste 20 years of hard earned cash on Audis?

Return to “Introductions”