VAG admit problem with 1.5 EVO engine

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Kodiaq
Colin Lambert

Re: VAG admit problem with 1.5 EVO engine

Post by Colin Lambert » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:38 am

Westover? Really? Well what a surprise! NOT.
Any of my friends who have bought any make of car from Westover group has had problems, either with sales or service. Including me.
In case you live in Salisbury, Poole, Bournemouth or Christchurch, here is a list of makes they sell, You can make your own decision to risk it or go elsewhere.
Jag/Landover.
Nissan
Toyota
Hyundai.
Dacia
Skoda
Kia
Abarth
Renault
F.I.A.T.
Lexus
And I think, Mitsubishi. The only one I have dealt with that I would recommend.
You can buy the following without getting involved with them
Honda
Mazda
Ford
Westover generally, but not every branch, is a classic example of a large group who don't give a stuff once they have got your ££.
Whereas every family owned dealership I have dealt with have always given me a first class experience in both sales and service.
ModeratorEdition .1.5DSG. Petrol Blue. S/s spare, Cream leather KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

Paul Bailey

Post by Paul Bailey » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:31 am

Hot off the press!!!!

SEAT have today received a recall notice stating that “There is a danger to customers due to loss of power”.

This is for the 1.5TSI engine which covers all VAG vehicles.

Got a copy from a very close friend who is a SEAT Master Tech and his dealership are contacting customers as we speak. Vehicles need to be recalled and a full engine recap conducted to see if it fixes the fault.

Old and Grumpy

Post by Old and Grumpy » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:43 pm

Paul Bailey wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:31 am
Hot off the press!!!!

SEAT have today received a recall notice stating that “There is a danger to customers due to loss of power”.

This is for the 1.5TSI engine which covers all VAG vehicles.

Got a copy from a very close friend who is a SEAT Master Tech and his dealership are contacting customers as we speak. Vehicles need to be recalled and a full engine recap conducted to see if it fixes the fault.
Thank God I got one of the last 1.4TSIs.
2018 Kodiaq SE 1.4 TSI, 2WD, manual, 5 seater, Petrol Blue, Leicestershire. :D

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:22 pm

Is this the same recall (R/2019/303) that was released on 5th September 2019 relating to low engine torque or is it a new one?
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Sportline - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:11 pm

This must be the long awaited 'FIX' that they have ben promising for 18 months. The first one didn't work.
HOWEVER...... the 'Kangaroo engine was only fitted for a short period in'18. It affected mainly manuals but my '18 Karoq DSG suffered very mildly from it and it eventually cured itself. My '19 Karoq DSG is faultless.
ModeratorEdition .1.5DSG. Petrol Blue. S/s spare, Cream leather KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
[color=#00

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:15 pm

I refer the honourable member to my previous answer. https://www.kodiaqforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2252
[color=#00

jmhol

Post by jmhol » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:26 pm

I apologise for this probably not being the right forum for this post, but I hope the query and any responses may be relevant to it. In July this year, I completed a 'distance' factory order with EuroSKODA for an Octavia 1.5l TSi 6G Manual, estimated delivery 7 October. On 22 October, an email advised me it was ready for collection, but a phone call next day advised it would be ready end first week November.

On 26 October, I became aware of the 'rooing' and hesitation issues with the 1.5TSi engine, and emailed the dealership stating this, quoting Recall 24ER for a Passat 1.5 manual as confirmation of VW's awareness of the engine problems. I said I was concerned in case the ordered car is affected by these problems and sought clarification as to whether the vehicle was recognised as being affected, or has been reported as suffering, from the problems. I asked that if the Octavia engine is affected, whether a software update had been issued, and if not, whether one is expected, and confirm that the update would be implemented prior to delivery of the vehicle being arranged.

The dealerwill not reply but said on phone that problem reports "were not widespread" and I needed to speak with Customer Services. I declined and asked my email to be sent to CS. As expected, the reply is meaningless: "all 1.5 engines that leave factory have the up to date software updates, we have no information that the engines will not be running smoothly." I have considered cancelling but would presumably lose £500 deposit and, as per contract, be responsible for Seller's losses and costs, etc.

If I am to proceed with the purchase (direct and non-Finance), I would welcome any help or guidance as to conditions I might be able to place on completing the purchase such that if the recognised problems occur, I would be better placed to initiate rejection, altho' it seems that Skoda is now making this more difficult with responses such as "vehicle characteristics" and "need to mod driving style".
Any thoughts, most welcome.

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:06 pm

Welcome. Pleased to be able to help you,
The 'Kanga petrol' version of the 1.5 EVO engine only occurred for a short period back in the early part of 2018.
My karoq at the time suffered very mildly from the problem. Not badly enough to bother to have anything done about it.
I now have a 19 reg 1.5 DSG and it is faultless.
I have been assured by my very reliable dealer that the the facts above are correct and therefore you should be absolutely fine.
It is a cracking, torquey engine.
It may be of use to you to see here for any specific Octavia problems..

https://www.skodaforum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php/10-Skoda-Octavia
or covering all things Skoda.......
The SKODA Forums for Owners and Fans - BRISKODA
https://www.briskoda.net › forums
They do have an Octavia section.
Good luck and enjoy your Octavia.
[color=#00

Old and Grumpy

Post by Old and Grumpy » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:33 pm

From today's Honest John newsletter.

"Kangarooing' problems with the Volkswagen 1.5 TSI engine have been fixed, according to a statement by the German carmaker. The issue - which particularly affects 1.5 TSI petrol models paired with the manual gearbox - results in the car hesitating when cold, creating a 'kangarooing' effect as it pulls away. Volkswagen Group launched a software update in March and this, it says, has resolved the problem."

And pigs (bears) might fly?
2018 Kodiaq SE 1.4 TSI, 2WD, manual, 5 seater, Petrol Blue, Leicestershire. :D