Beardface has ripped my door protector off!

All Skoda Kodiaq related discussions
old man

Re: Beardface has ripped my door protector off!

Post by old man » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:58 am

Colin Lambert wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:04 am
James,
Really chum, don't wast your. time and money, they are (IMHO) a pain in the @rse! As said above they are poorly designed, poorly built and not fit for purpose. Buy some of these instead.
Apologies Colin, not trying to diss your door edge protection idea, but a word of caution about them.
I used to use these many years ago and found that road grime and grit got trapped between them and the car door. This turned into an abrasive and eventually scratched the paintwork underneath. If you're going to use them, take them off regularly and wash/brush any dirt out of them.

If I needed to protect my door edges nowadays, I'd use either helicopter tape (which some might find an annoyance to apply) or clear Gorilla tape which is easy to apply and reapply. These tapes won't give much protection against damage from opening the door against rough surfaces e.g. brick walls, but they will give protection when opening the doors against smoother surfaces e.g. other cars.

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:04 am

Thanks for your useful comments. I agree.
ModeratorEdition .1.5DSG. Petrol Blue. S/s spare, Cream leather KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

James Sportline 2020

Post by James Sportline 2020 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:33 pm

Cheers all for your help.

I've decided not to pursue this after reading up on all the troubles everyone seem to experience with this. Shame really as it's such a clever ideas but poorly implemented.

Oh well, onto the next tweak!

Again , appreciate everyone's input.

James

Kenny R

Post by Kenny R » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:59 am

James Sportline 2020 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:33 pm
Cheers all for your help.

I've decided not to pursue this after reading up on all the troubles everyone seem to experience with this. Shame really as it's such a clever ideas but poorly implemented.

Oh well, onto the next tweak!

Again , appreciate everyone's input.

James
Its wrong to say everyone is having troubles. 2 years of Kodiaq ownership and the door protectors are proving to be grandkid proof and I haven’t had any of the problems that some ham fisted owners are having. :D
Candy White 2.0 TSi SE L 7 seat. Heated windscreen/ nozzles, kids pack, front rear parking sensors, reversing camera and spare wheel, Milotec rear bumper inserts.
And for the winter months: 17” Black alloys with 215x65x17 Nokian WR SUV3 winter tyres.

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:23 pm

EGGSCUSE MOI! Not at all ham fisted.
One day the rear protector just refused to retract and pinged off when the door was shut. (not watching door at the time) Had I known then, what I know now, due to ALL the people who HAVE had the problems putting helpful instructions on this forum, I could have re-attached it myself
ModeratorEdition .1.5DSG. Petrol Blue. S/s spare, Cream leather KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

Old and Grumpy

Post by Old and Grumpy » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:42 pm

Kenny R wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:59 am
Its wrong to say everyone is having troubles.
[/quote]

Same here, two years in and no problems. I may just have been lucky, or very careful due to the horror stories from other owners.🤔
2018 Kodiaq SE 1.4 TSI, 2WD, manual gearbox, 5 seater, Petrol Blue, absolutely standard, no extra toys, (92Kw more than enough for my needs), Leicestershire. :D

J-R

Post by J-R » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:15 am

I just passed one year with our Kodiaq and the only door protector problem we had was solved by the dealer in a couple of minutes by turning the adjustment screw on it (which I didn't know was there until then). Of course, it would be better if everyone else's car had them ( :D ), but as I have kids who aren't careful opening doors, these things have probably saved scratching up our doors a good few times, never mind not denting someone else's. Overall, I'm still in the mind that they are a worthwhile feature.
JR
2019 Kodiaq 2.0 TDI 150bhp, 7-speed DSG, 2WD, 18" wheels, 7 seats, metallic silver, Kessy, Bolero, 3-zone climate, wireless cellphone charging, 9 airbags, Adaptive Cruise Control, blind spot warning, front & rear parking sensors, reverse camera.

Old and Grumpy

Post by Old and Grumpy » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:18 pm

J-R wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:15 am
I just passed one year with our Kodiaq and the only door protector problem we had was solved by the dealer in a couple of minutes by turning the adjustment screw on it (which I didn't know was there until then). Of course, it would be better if everyone else's car had them ( :D ), but as I have kids who aren't careful opening doors, these things have probably saved scratching up our doors a good few times, never mind not denting someone else's. Overall, I'm still in the mind that they are a worthwhile feature.
JR
I think all Kodiaqs have the adjusting screws. It's just that they are not very well publicised so most owners don't know they exist.
2018 Kodiaq SE 1.4 TSI, 2WD, manual gearbox, 5 seater, Petrol Blue, absolutely standard, no extra toys, (92Kw more than enough for my needs), Leicestershire. :D

Return to “Main Skoda Kodiaq chat”