Scratches on B pillar plastic

Interior and Exterior bodywork Faults and Fixes
old man

Scratches on B pillar plastic

Post by old man » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:13 pm

After less that 5 months of ownership, I notice that the interior plastic covering on the B pillar is getting scratched by me when getting in and out of the car. My last car suffered from the same thing and I did nothing about it.

It's likely I'll keep this car for a decent period ( if my wife has any say in the matter ;) ) so I'd like to try and prevent further damage.
I've had some clear helicopter tape hanging around in my cave for a long time, so I thought maybe I'd cover the section that gets scratched with that, that was until I saw how it has to be applied.
So I've currently covered the area with some black duct tape, which doesn't look as outrageous as I thought it might, but I'd rather use something that is a better colour match.

I see there's clear duct tape available, which will be better than black I think.

So, I have 2 questions; Will duct tape damage the plastic and will it leave a residue after it's removed in the fullness of time ?

Can anyone think of a better solution for prevention of these scratches ??

Pink72

Re: Scratches on B pillar plastic

Post by Pink72 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:47 pm

Why not use some paint protection film. Have a google online. Following the install process is quite easy.
Kodiaq 2.0tdi 190 4x4 DSG quartz metallic - canton, heated steering wheel, screen & rear seats, ambient light, media cmd, personalisation drive mode, front parking sensors, tri zone climate control, vico opia2 cash cam, Thule wingbars.

Zach

Post by Zach » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:14 pm

Pink72 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:47 pm
Why not use some paint protection film. Have a google online. Following the install process is quite easy.
You'll want to prepare the surface, so give it a light polish to remove most of the scratches.
BW32 2017 Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 TDI Style 5 Seater in Quartz Grey Metallic + Sirius rims, Extended Warranty, Panoramic Sunroof, heated washer jets, sleep pack, rear heated seats, 3rd key + driver profiles

old man

Post by old man » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:34 pm

Thanks for the replies guys.
I spoke to a company today who do body wrapping and they told me that the film they use will not adhere to the plastic inside a car because the plastic contains silicones. This is borne out by the fact that the duct tape I stuck on yesterday is already peeling off.

So it's back to the drawing board I'm afraid. I'm going to purchase some clear Gorilla tape and give that a try. If that doesn't work I'll just have put up with the scratching unless I have an epiphany ;)

Kenny R

Post by Kenny R » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:26 pm

old man wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:13 pm
After less that 5 months of ownership, I notice that the interior plastic covering on the B pillar is getting scratched by me when getting in and out of the car. My last car suffered from the same thing and I did nothing about it.

It's likely I'll keep this car for a decent period ( if my wife has any say in the matter ;) ) so I'd like to try and prevent further damage.

What is it that’s causing the scratches? Would it not be preventing the cause at source, and remove the cause.
Candy White 2.0 TSi SE L 7 seat. Heated windscreen/ nozzles, kids pack, front rear parking sensors, reversing camera and spare wheel, Milotec rear bumper inserts.

DrMatt

Post by DrMatt » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:43 pm

Kenny R wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:26 pm
old man wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:13 pm

What is it that’s causing the scratches? Would it not be preventing the cause at source, and remove the cause.
I have just looked at mine and I can’t for the life of me imagine a scenarion where I might scratch the plastic on the B pillar getting in and out...not being difficult but what on earth are you wearing that is causing that much friction?
Ordered in September 2018; collected 18th December. 1.5TSi ACT DSG Edition in Black Magic (the one true colour!) with Virtual Pedal. What a beast!! Why did I waste 20 years of hard earned cash on Audis?

old man

Post by old man » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:40 pm

Myself, my wife and my mistress are well into sado masochism, and both of them insist that I wear my studded leather and chains when going out in the car for a ride :twisted:

Ona more serious note, I have no idea what is causing the scratches. For the most part since buying the car I've worn shorts and t-shirt, but I can't see anything on my clothing that would be the cause.

To be fair, it's annoying but not serious, and having spotted that it's happening it's become a challenge to try and stop it.

DrMatt

Post by DrMatt » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:34 pm

old man wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:40 pm
Myself, my wife and my mistress are well into sado masochism, and both of them insist that I wear my studded leather and chains when going out in the car for a ride :twisted:

Ona more serious note, I have no idea what is causing the scratches. For the most part since buying the car I've worn shorts and t-shirt, but I can't see anything on my clothing that would be the cause.

To be fair, it's annoying but not serious, and having spotted that it's happening it's become a challenge to try and stop it.
That is annoying. Crikey, I am fully togged up at the minute with walking boots, gortex jacket, gloves, hat and loads of base layers. If you are wearing shorts and a t-shirt then I am not gonna argue with anything you have to say :)
Ordered in September 2018; collected 18th December. 1.5TSi ACT DSG Edition in Black Magic (the one true colour!) with Virtual Pedal. What a beast!! Why did I waste 20 years of hard earned cash on Audis?

old man

Post by old man » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:29 pm

That is annoying. Crikey, I am fully togged up at the minute with walking boots, gortex jacket, gloves, hat and loads of base layers. If you are wearing shorts and a t-shirt then I am not gonna argue with anything you have to say
Serves you right for living up there ;) This is Gods country down here and it's been a balmy 11 degrees today :D .
To be fair, I've had warmer clothing on for a while now - I'm too bloody old to be brave or stupid !!

Return to “Interior and Exterior Cosmetics”