Instrument cluster plastic scratched up

Interior and Exterior bodywork Faults and Fixes
Zach

Instrument cluster plastic scratched up

Post by Zach » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:01 pm

Hi all,

Does anyone here have a scratched up instrument cluster cover? It seems to be made of a rubbish material, and somehow I scratched it while getting the dust off with a microfibre cloth.

I'm considering using Meguiar's PlastX to buff the scratches out, but before I do, has anyone here tried any alternative methods to avail?

Cheers!
BW32 2017 Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 TDI Style 5 Seater in Quartz Grey Metallic + Sirius rims, Extended Warranty, Panoramic Sunroof, heated washer jets, sleep pack, rear heated seats, 3rd key + driver profiles

old man

Re: Instrument cluster plastic scratched up

Post by old man » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:22 am

Firstly you should realise that everything we refer to as plastic isn't necessarily plastic. There are many forms of "plastic" and they vary greatly in their makeup and structure. Your instrument cover is more likely to be some form of polycarbonate rather than common plastic. Therefore a product such as the Meguiars you mention might have good reviews for refurbishing yellowed headlights, but that doesn't mean it will work on your instrument cluster.

Normally I'd advise trying it on an unseen piece of the same material, the same as instructions on many products state, but that won't be possible for you. So I'd say leave well alone because if you make the problem worse it will be staring you in the face until you sell the car.

It might be worth asking your dealer, or a professional car valeter if they can recommend anything, but having worked in the plastics industry for nearly 40 years (albeit not in the hard plastics sector), I'd be surprised if it can be fixed.

I'd suggest that what you thought was dust was more likely grit, as a gentle wipe of dust with a microfibre cloth would not cause immediate scratching.

If you do find a product that will delete your scratches, let us know. Technology does move on and my views might now be outdated.

Pink72

Re: Instrument cluster plastic scratched up

Post by Pink72 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:25 pm

I did the same on my last Skoda. The plastic (perspex or whatever material) is incredibly soft and will mark at the lightest wipe. I did not manage to find a solution to improve it other that leave it as it is. You can make it worse quite easily. After that I used a soft brush attached to a vacuum to suck the dust off it. I personally would not risk a polish on it.
Kodiaq 2.0tdi 190 4x4 DSG quartz metallic - canton, heated steering wheel, screen & rear seats, ambient light, media cmd, personalisation drive mode, front parking sensors, tri zone climate control, vico opia2 cash cam, Thule wingbars.

Return to “Interior and Exterior Cosmetics”