Electric Boot Problems

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Kodiaq
philhib1964

Electric Boot Problems

Post by philhib1964 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:21 pm

Anyone experienced problems opening the Kodiaq electric boot? Four or five times now I've gone to open the boot in the normal way and although I hear the beeping noise and the lights flash the boot will not open. Couldn't open it with key, lever on tailgate or inside of driver's door and was very frustrating as one time I had too very large dogs in the boot and to get one of them out I had to drop the back seat and let her get out that way. The other dog was too big (I have the dog guard fitted and he was too big to limbo under it to get out) so I tried again and again and eventually I found that if I banged slightly on the boot lid near the lock it would sort of free it up enough to open. I've also got a baby and one of the times it locked up I was out and about and couldn't open the boot to get the buggy and baby bits out. Once again I had to bang on the boot lid near the lock and it freed it up again.

I can't keep taking this risk with two large dogs and a baby. Car is six months old, I've had it since new and have no other problems (yet).

Seems to me like a design fault that you have no manual way of opening the boot from the outside (with the key) because in an emergency I can't see how the hell you would get to the manual release on the inside if the boot was full with shopping or suitcases etc?

I have booked the car in on Wed 19th Dec but as it's an intermittent fault I am half expecting them to say no fault if it doesn't fail when in the garage. I intend to video it next time it happens though just as a backup because I hate it when garages make it seem like you are trying to make things up.

Thanks in advance for any response.
Sunny Gosport UK - Kodiaq SE L (7 Seater) 1.4 TSi 150 PS 4x4 in Petrol Blue & Two Dalmatians. :D :shock:

Colin Lambert

Re: Electric Boot Problems

Post by Colin Lambert » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:12 am

I had a similar problem, but could always use the door button luckily as I too have a large dog. Thumping the tail gate with a clenched fist next to the handle usually worked for me as well.
The problem was fixed under warranty by my dealer. The cause was a faulty micro switch on the tail gate.
Good luck!
ModeratorSE L.1.5DSG. Emerald green. S/s spare, Paddles, f&r sensors, rear camera. KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

philhib1964

Re: Electric Boot Problems

Post by philhib1964 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:40 am

Thanks Colin, I'm glad I found the thumping trick worked otherwise my large dog would probably still be in the boot! Will let them know about the micro switch fault as I thought that could be a problem. Haven't found much about this being any sort of common problem with the Kodiaq but there seems to be similar issues with other cars that have totally electric boots.
Will post again after the car has been in on the 19th Dec.
Cheers.
Sunny Gosport UK - Kodiaq SE L (7 Seater) 1.4 TSi 150 PS 4x4 in Petrol Blue & Two Dalmatians. :D :shock:

Return to “Faults & Technical”