Start/stop......it's now driving me nuts!

All Skoda Kodiaq related discussions
Codders

Start/stop......it's now driving me nuts!

Post by Codders » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:19 pm

I am an advocate of the start stop technology - in principle it's a good thing and on many occasions as per a previous post, it's great.

...but sometimes it's a right royal pain the backside. For example, when slowly coming to a halt, but just before you stop you need to drive off - happens plenty of times around town. However the engine switches off and immedt has to restart, either because I have pushed on the throttle or because the front radar has detected the car in front has drove off.

On one journey of 4 miles, the car did this 27 times - and yes, I counted them! In all cases, the car did not actually come to a complete halt. That's 27 times in my opinion where I used more fuel and caused more wear and tear on the car.

I honestly do not believe I have a fault. I think this is Skoda logic here. So I have reported it. Dealers says it's normal, but nonetheless will investigate the fault logs and if needs be, log with Skoda directly.

So, if you've also had enough of this, let Skoda know - don't just press the disable button and accept what Skoda have created! Surely, this can be fixed via a software update.

Rant over :-)
Sportline, Meteor Grey. 2.0, 190 TDI, DSG. Makes me smile everyday. :D

Wigan - purchased from Lightcliffe, Warrington

eLTe

Re: Start/stop......it's now driving me nuts!

Post by eLTe » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:34 pm

Start engine, put in gear, turn off start stop. Both me and the Mrs do this naturally every time we drive the car.

It’s utter rubbish and in some circumstances, dangerous.

If I’m in a long queue of traffic I’ll turn it back on. That is the one and only time we use it.
Sportline 1.4 TSI DSG 4x4 : Business Grey : Front and Rear Parking Sensors, Child Pack, Driver Profile thingy

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:57 pm

Codders wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:19 pm
I am an advocate of the start stop technology - in principle it's a good thing and on many occasions as per a previous post, it's great.

...but sometimes it's a right royal pain the backside. For example, when slowly coming to a halt, but just before you stop you need to drive off - happens plenty of times around town. However the engine switches off and immedt has to restart, either because I have pushed on the throttle or because the front radar has detected the car in front has drove off.

On one journey of 4 miles, the car did this 27 times - and yes, I counted them! In all cases, the car did not actually come to a complete halt. That's 27 times in my opinion where I used more fuel and caused more wear and tear on the car.

I honestly do not believe I have a fault. I think this is Skoda logic here. So I have reported it. Dealers says it's normal, but nonetheless will investigate the fault logs and if needs be, log with Skoda directly.

So, if you've also had enough of this, let Skoda know - don't just press the disable button and accept what Skoda have created! Surely, this can be fixed via a software update.

Rant over :-)
I am unsure if this is true and as much as I like ranting at Skoda I have been led to believe that the start/stop function defaults to being on at startup as part of an EU directive or other Legal reason. I also find it frustrating but if this is true it’s probably be a bit harsh to blame Skoda.

Would be interesting to know if it’s true.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Edition - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey - Canton
Ordered 3rd April - Build Week 26 - Collected 17 August

MrTrilby

Post by MrTrilby » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:22 pm

27 times in 4 miles means the car stopped on average every 237 metres. Maybe it was telling you that it was quicker to walk.

Impressive that the battery could cope with that. Not sure mine would and still have a high enough voltage to allow the start/stop to continue.
190 4x4 SEL DSG with pano roof, ACC, reversing camera, towbar, heated multifunction steering wheel, heated front & rear seats, rear tables, luggage net, electric driver seat, ambient lighting, media command

Vaclav^2

Post by Vaclav^2 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:33 am

I like the maths already done, put it a bit in context doesn't it.

I'm in the camp of PIBSAC on this one, i.e. driving it wrong.

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:52 am

MrTrilby wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:22 pm
27 times in 4 miles means the car stopped on average every 237 metres. Maybe it was telling you that it was quicker to walk.

Impressive that the battery could cope with that. Not sure mine would and still have a high enough voltage to allow the start/stop to continue.
“Impressive that the battery could cope with that.“ mine didn’t and was replaced under warranty as well as one of the management modules. Others are having the same issue.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Edition - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey - Canton
Ordered 3rd April - Build Week 26 - Collected 17 August

MrTrilby

Post by MrTrilby » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:50 am

I was more meaning that I’m sure my car would have decided the battery voltage was too low for stop/start way before it managed 27 stops.
190 4x4 SEL DSG with pano roof, ACC, reversing camera, towbar, heated multifunction steering wheel, heated front & rear seats, rear tables, luggage net, electric driver seat, ambient lighting, media command

Pink72

Post by Pink72 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:54 am

You have options with regard start stop. You can read the road, if you see the traffic is stopped when approaching and about to move away, ease off or equally pull up more quickly and allow the car to stop and then restart. That is my approach. You have to drive to the system, very much like you do with the DSG box. You can hit the button and disable the system each time you start or you can use VCDS/OBDeleven or the like to permanently disable it. I can appreciate in slow moving stop start traffic it is annoying but then just disable the system for that run.
Kodiaq 2.0tdi 190 4x4 DSG quartz metallic - canton, heated steering wheel, screen & rear seats, ambient light, media cmd, personalisation drive mode, front parking sensors, tri zone climate control, vico opia2 cash cam, Thule wingbars.

Codders

Post by Codders » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:47 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone. Sorry but I made a typo, it was 17 times, not 27! Fat fingers on mobile and all! But maybe my car battery is running low - it's never had a problem starting, but often kills the ignition within a couple of minutes when I've parked up and lights are on (with message saying ignition turned off to save battery) - it happened the other before I took my seatbelt off!

I have completed an advanced driving course and do not believe the problem is with my driving. Again, my dealer has confirmed the engine stopping (and often before the vehicle has come to a halt), is normal behaviour. For what it's worth, I spend 90% of my time on ECO mode - next week I'll stay in normal mode to see if this makes any kind of difference.

I know it's easy to switch it off - there's a button on my dashboard! But if we just accept the way something is, rather than challenging or reporting it, how can we expect Skoda to change or make improvements? I'm not moaning at Skoda - I love my car and found both the Fabia and Fabia estate to also be really good cars, I'm simply pointing out something that I think needs investigating.
Sportline, Meteor Grey. 2.0, 190 TDI, DSG. Makes me smile everyday. :D

Wigan - purchased from Lightcliffe, Warrington

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:18 pm

Many points here.
It IS, as far as I am aware an EU 'Nanny State' directive that S/S is 'auto on'.
I agree with comments. that it is a pain in the @rse and DOES stop the engine before the car comes to a halt.
Also that in some circs it CAN be dangerous.
All cars with S/S have special batteries and starter gear to cope with the extra strain on the system. The batteries cost well over £100 to replace.
Because of this I will NEVER keep a car out of warranty as I have NO faith in the longevity of the system and I'm dam' sure I ain't going to cough up my hard earned pension repairing something that is unnecessary, unproven (It certainly doesn't save me any petrol!) just because the idiots in the 'Fourth Reich' think it's a good idea, which, IMHO, it is NOT!!
ModeratorSE L.1.5DSG. Emerald green. S/s spare, Paddles, f&r sensors, rear camera. KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

Return to “Main Skoda Kodiaq chat”