Condensation Issue in Headlights

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Kodiaq
bother

Re: Condensation Issue in Headlights

Post by bother » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:52 pm

Old and Grumpy wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:23 pm
Hi Akop.4040

I can't answer your questions about where the water is coming from or where any holes might be.

I am using my "O" level GCE Physics knowledge from 1963 to state the basic facts.

1. You cannot have condensation without water vapour being present.

2. Water vapour condenses when it comes into contact with a colder surface.

3. Heat does not cause condensation. Heat causes humidity by heating water into water vapour.

Sorry, those are basic facts and anyone who disagrees needs to go back to school.
You'll be glad to know physics hasn't changed since 1963! Absolutely spot on.

As for where the water is coming from, it could just be the water vapour in the air condensing out on the cold light unit surface.

My guess is that totally sealing the units would cause other issues, so VAG have opted for a 'vented' solution relying on airflow through the unit and the heating of the light to try and clear (evaporate) the condensation. In some cases this isn't working as efficiently as they'd hope and the condensation is sticking around longer
Edition 1.4DSG, Front Sensors, Spacesaver

akop.4040

Post by akop.4040 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:42 am

Old and Grumpy wrote:
Hi Akop.4040

I can't answer your questions about where the water is coming from or where any holes might be.

I am using my "O" level GCE Physics knowledge from 1963 to state the basic facts.

3. Heat does not cause condensation. Heat causes humidity by heating water into water vapour.

Sorry, those are basic facts and anyone who disagrees needs to go back to school.

Thank you. My background is not Science but I have read like many of the scientific facts since I am facing the issue and you have stated accurate facts. Now coming to the technical findings from various forums, I have checked like everything, besides opening each part ofcourse, and wasn't able to find the source of the water/moisture.
In long term can this moisture have any drastic effect on the headlight besides blocking the view if we use low beam?

akop.4040

Post by akop.4040 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:47 am

bother wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:52 pm
Old and Grumpy wrote:
Hi Akop.4040

You'll be glad to know physics hasn't changed since 1963! Absolutely spot on.

As for where the water is coming from, it could just be the water vapour in the air condensing out on the cold light unit surface.

My guess is that totally sealing the units would cause other issues, so VAG have opted for a 'vented' solution relying on airflow through the unit and the heating of the light to try and clear (evaporate) the condensation. In some cases this isn't working as efficiently as they'd hope and the condensation is sticking around longer
Thanks for replying. Two questions-

1. About your reason regarding condensation, the headlights have been replaced and during day time they don't show even a drop of water.The windshield cleaner box is also empty. The roads on which I drive are not having any moist air or something, it happens when the temperature is 48 degrees Celsius also. I am going bonkers as I am not able to find the reason for the same.

2. In long term can this moisture have any drastic effect on the headlight besides blocking the view if we use low beam?

About the bold line in your reply, the thing which is frustrating me every second is that this is happening every night despite the weather whereas no other user has reported that it is happening every night in their car.

Return to “Faults & Technical”