I wonder what this will do for Skoda's plans?

The place to discuss everything else..
iwarv

Re: I wonder what this will do for Skoda's plans?

Post by iwarv » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:53 pm

Like LPG cars I think hydrogen will not be allowed in tunnels, incl. EuroTunnel.
Could be problem for many.
SE-L 1.4 150bhp DSG 4x4, 7 Seats, Quartz Grey, Front Sensors, Front DashCam

eLTe

Post by eLTe » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:39 pm

Removal of the grant for PHEVs is right. The range on most is so pitiful that they’re not worth having.

The new breed of full EVs show promise, with Kia and Hyundai releasing a full EV version of the Niro and Kona respectively. These have ~300 mile range with the 64kwh batteries which is far more usable than the 100-120 you get from the Leaf or e-golf and rivals the likes of the Jag I-pace and Audi e-Tron at about half the price. Even some Tesla’s can’t match that range unless you pay £80-90k.

The EV Niro, if it delivers what it promises at the price ~£35k will be my daily commuter. I have a 130 mile round trip to work currently and my old diesel insignia is starting to show it’s age. For ~£400 monthly cost it’ll be cost neutral compared with the running costs of the insignia and I get to drive a brand new, mechanically simplistic car with very few moving parts to break.

I do agree full EVs are a stop gap until we can make hydrogen fuel cell a reality but they are some years off in terms of safety and infrastructure. In the mean time I’ll get a full EV at reasonable cost and rejoice in never have to fill it up at a petrol station again. Yes, I may have to pay £150-200 for a charging box and yes, I may have some cables pinched (doubtful as they won’t be visible from the road), but it’ll be worth it. My energy supplier is Octopus which are one of the greener energy suppliers so that’s my conscious clear on that one.

Full EVs have a place in the current market, though they are quite situational. Until something else comes along I’ll join the ride as my circumstances warrant it.
Sportline 1.4 TSI DSG 4x4 : Business Grey : Front and Rear Parking Sensors, Child Pack, Driver Profile thingy

MrTrilby

Post by MrTrilby » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:36 pm

Hugh Fanism wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:31 pm
FoxtrotAlpha wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:45 pm
Hugh Fanism wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:29 pm

I agree with this completely. They need to be putting this money towards actual solutions rather than half arsed box ticks.
At this time electric is only a solution for people who make short trips and have the facility to charge it. I cant charge one at home even if I wanted too. As do many.
My point is that it's running on leccy that comes from fossil fields. It's all manner of stupid. It's not sustainable, so just a quick fix rather than a solution.
Charging using our current electricity supply is already cleaner and more efficient than burning petrol in a car engine. And our electricity supply is only getting greener, and quite fast - take a look at the rapid decline in coal for power generation. It’s very sustainable, in both senses.

Hydrogen has a great many issues as a fuel source for cars. It’s very hard to store and leaks out of tanks naturally - so parking in confined spaces is hazardous. It’s very inefficient to produce, and is currently mostly produced using fossil fuels, releasing far more carbon than just burning the fuel in an engine. Hydrogen fuel cells are currently massively expensive, and have issues with longevity when used in a car.
190 4x4 SEL DSG with pano roof, ACC, reversing camera, towbar, heated multifunction steering wheel, heated front & rear seats, rear tables, luggage net, electric driver seat, ambient lighting, media command

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:59 pm

I worked for Shell Retail most of my life, so know a bit about road fuels.
I have thought for years that electricity is only a flash in the pan, a long one admittedly , But if we think about, if 70% of the motoring population have a leccy car what happens to the national grid when everyone plugs in when they get back from work.
Hydrogen is certainly the answer and Shell have opened a hydrogen refuelling point on the western M25 services and are opening 5 more in London.
The problem is of course chicken and egg. DO they make and sell the cars with nowhere to refuel them or do the oil companies spent millions creating filling points with no cars to fill.
ModeratorEdition .1.5DSG. Petrol Blue. S/s spare, Cream leather KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

MrTrilby

Post by MrTrilby » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:19 pm

You're not the first to ask those questions. Most people don't do that many miles a day, so plenty of people don't need to charge every day. Those that do and plug in when they get home will be able to charge overnight, when demand on the grid is lowest and there is plenty of spare capacity. This website explains the reasoning behind that far better than I could: https://www.carboncommentary.com/blog/2 ... he-uk-grid

As to hydrogen... ...hydrogen is only a means of storing energy, just like a battery. Where does the energy come from to produce that hydrogen?
190 4x4 SEL DSG with pano roof, ACC, reversing camera, towbar, heated multifunction steering wheel, heated front & rear seats, rear tables, luggage net, electric driver seat, ambient lighting, media command

Hugh Fanism

Post by Hugh Fanism » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:32 pm

MrTrilby wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:36 pm
Hugh Fanism wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:31 pm
FoxtrotAlpha wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:45 pm

At this time electric is only a solution for people who make short trips and have the facility to charge it. I cant charge one at home even if I wanted too. As do many.
My point is that it's running on leccy that comes from fossil fields. It's all manner of stupid. It's not sustainable, so just a quick fix rather than a solution.
Charging using our current electricity supply is already cleaner and more efficient than burning petrol in a car engine. And our electricity supply is only getting greener, and quite fast - take a look at the rapid decline in coal for power generation. It’s very sustainable, in both senses.

Hydrogen has a great many issues as a fuel source for cars. It’s very hard to store and leaks out of tanks naturally - so parking in confined spaces is hazardous. It’s very inefficient to produce, and is currently mostly produced using fossil fuels, releasing far more carbon than just burning the fuel in an engine. Hydrogen fuel cells are currently massively expensive, and have issues with longevity when used in a car.
Our electricity HAS to be getting greener as we almost exclusively used to use coal. We're still not making huge progress though and is EV's are to be the future the government needs to be making bold decisions on our current and future energy supplies. Things like mandatory solar tiles /roofs with battery storage on new build properties would be a reasonable start.
1.4 DSG SE L, council blue, acc.
"Johnny ain't so crazy, he's always got a line for the ladies"

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”