Infotainment screen rebooting!!

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
old man

Infotainment screen rebooting!!

Post by old man » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:14 pm

Driving through France today using the sat nav, the screen shut itself down 3 times and then restarted itself as if it was doing a reboot. I had to restart the sat navigation destination manually afterwards.
Anyone else experienced similar, and if so, what was the cause/fix?
Just trying to get a handle on things before taking it to the dealer.
I have a new 2.0tsi SEL with the Columbus system.

old man

Re: Infotainment screen rebooting!!

Post by old man » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:24 am

For anyone who may experience similar problems, I have now visited my dealer and it's looking as the head unit will need replacing as there are known issues with some units that were fitted around the time my car was built.

Alan Chapple

Post by Alan Chapple » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:08 am

old man wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:24 am
For anyone who may experience similar problems, I have now visited my dealer and it's looking as the head unit will need replacing as there are known issues with some units that were fitted around the time my car was built.
That probably answers your original query then, a bit disappointing for you though.

In general I actually think the Skoda Infotainment screen is very good, fast etc, certainly far better than almost every other car I've driven in last few years.
2.0 TDI 190bhp, Edition, 4x4, DSG, Quartz Grey

eddomak

Post by eddomak » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:56 am

We have just experienced this a couple of times in the first month of ownership and reported it during the first month service. They will be replacing the whole infotainment unit in 2 week's time.

On the whole, the system is very good apart from DAB reception cutting in/out especially in areas of known high RF noise or in mountainous areas. Only one time has the reboot been very annoying as it didn't automatically continue the GPS guidance, requiring me stop by the side of the road and re-enter the address.
Kodiaq 132TSI 7 Seat

old man

Post by old man » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:21 am

Thanks eddomak, that's interesting as Skoda UK deny there have been any problems in this respect.
I didn't explain myself very well earlier as I didn't know there are two units i.e. the screen and the control unit in the glovebox.

There have been reports on the Skoda system of screens blanking out temporarily in cars built around the time mine was, which my dealer initially thought was the problem. To that end they ordered in a new screen prior to me taking my car in. Once the car was in, the technician phoned me to ask exactly what had happened after the screen went blank, the answer being that it did a reboot which showed the Skoda logo, the same as when switching on the ignition. Each time this happened I was using the sat nav, and each time I had to re enter my destination. There were also messages that came up on the small dashboard screen each time this happened..

From this they deduced that the problem was with the control box, not the screen itself. They liaised with Skoda Technical who said this is not a known problem, therefore there are no known fixes or software updates. They advised checking the wiring and rebooting the system, which the dealer duly did.

I now have my car back and I've been asked to monitor the situation and to let them know if there's a recurrence. So in effect I'm acting as a guinea pig for them - their description, not mine.

It had occurred to me that heat build up may have been the cause, as I was on long journeys at the time, but there is a cooling fan on the control box, so maybe not.

eddomak; I'd be interested to know if your dealer has an explanation for this happening, so I can bring it to the attention of my dealer if it happens again.

eddomak

Post by eddomak » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:31 am

old man wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:21 am
eddomak; I'd be interested to know if your dealer has an explanation for this happening, so I can bring it to the attention of my dealer if it happens again.
The car went in today for the operation. The notes on the item are as such:

Carried out GFF. Fount relevent (sic) TPI 2051234/1
As per TPI, remove and replaced the media screen unit as required
Test operation ok.

So it looks like there is a bulletin about it. Hope this helps.
I have not driven the car yet, but anecdotally, my family says that the new unit seems to be more responsive to touch than before.
Kodiaq 132TSI 7 Seat

old man

Post by old man » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:06 am

Thanks for the update eddomak,
Unfortunately, the TPI you refer to is for the screen itself ( a known problem as I mentioned earlier), not the control unit in the glovebox, which Skoda and my dealer believe my problem stems from.

Since the dealer rebooted the system the problem has not reoccurred, but then again, I haven't been very far since.

Tamus

Post by Tamus » Fri May 17, 2019 11:55 am

Hi All, Just for info this problem has started to occur on my Kodiaq. The pattern seemed to be about 3 miles into a journey with a route set in the sat nav. , the screen went blank for a short time, then came back on with the route still set. While the screen went off sat nav instructions and radio could still be heard. Went to my dealer who said a software update was required. This was carried out and all seemed fine on the way home. The next day on starting up the screen remained blank for about 4 miles before it cam back on. Booked back into dealers next week for further investigation.

old man

Post by old man » Fri May 17, 2019 12:35 pm

Hi Tamus, your symptoms are a little different to mine, inasmuch as my system rebooted itself each time and all the sat nav details I'd entered had to be re-entered. During this time no sounds or voices could be heard. Did you try using another function on the infotainment screen when this happened ? i.e. was it the sat nav function only that suffered, or were all functions affected ?

Probably talking out of my hat here, but to me (the uninitiated) your problem sounds more screen related than control unit related, which is a known problem on cars built around the same time mine was and outlined by eddomac previously.

My situation remains the same i.e. I've had no repeat yet of my problem, but as yet I've done no long journeys since the last occurrence. Not only that, the ambient temperature has yet to reach as high when I've been driving, as it was when I had my problem, although I've no idea if temperature had a bearing.
Hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction.

Tamus

Post by Tamus » Sun May 19, 2019 9:32 am

Hi, When the screen blanks there is no facility to press other infotainment functions, however using voice control it does seem to function but does not bring the screen back on. I tried a reset (holding the power button for about 10 seconds causing it to restart), this does bring the screen back on, but still intermittently goes blank and as I said before sat nav directions are still announced and the radio plays even when the screen is blank. Going back to dealer next week to see what they come up with.

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”