School Run Kodiaq - Diesel/Petrol

All Skoda Kodiaq related discussions
osullivj

School Run Kodiaq - Diesel/Petrol

Post by osullivj » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:17 pm

Hi guys

We have a 7 seater discovery sport which is always getting its diesel filter clogged up ..it has got to the stage that LR have to replace the exhaust! I think this is due to the fact that we usually do short runs < 5km

Can anyone tell me if the kodiaq diesel suffers the same problem or would the petrol suit our needs

We would do big trips about once a month and would like to be able to bring it on big roadtrips for camping in France

Thanks
J

bigboss

Re: School Run Kodiaq - Diesel/Petrol

Post by bigboss » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:52 pm

If most of your driving is short runs, then petrol would suit better. If you're changing your car because of DPF issues, makes sense to go for petrol this time.

I have driven my petrol Kodiaq on a week long trip from Yorkshire to Lancashire to Cumbria to Northumberland and back to Yorkshire with 7 passengers and luggage in the roof box. At no stage did it feel underpowered. In fact I have overtaken slower cars quite easily.
Kodiaq SE L, 1.4 TSI 150 PS DSG, Magnetic Brown metallic, beige leather, 19" Triglav, towbar, Heated windscreen & washer nozzles, Heated leather MFSW, Adaptive cruise control, Front & rear parking sensors, rear view camera. Škoda ID: 98705067

osullivj

Post by osullivj » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:55 pm

Thanks ....any known issues I should watch out for?

Zach

Post by Zach » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:43 am

We've got no DPF issues even though on weekdays the car is used for short commutes. Most of the short trips have at least a few km on a 50mph road though. We also do longer weekend drives usually though so ymmv.
BW32 2017 Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 TDI Style 5 Seater in Quartz Grey Metallic + Sirius rims, Extended Warranty, Panoramic Sunroof, heated washer jets, sleep pack, rear heated seats, 3rd key + driver profiles

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:22 am

You don't say where you are, but assume you in U.K.
Although the diesel scare is basically unfounded it has not precluded a dramatic drop in residuals for dervs. Even finance and PCP companies have started going away from 'oil burners' and some people have been left with a much larger final payment than they anticipated.
I have nothing against diesels per se, as I have had many, but given the current climate I would certainly not entertain one at present whatever type of driving you do. Only if towing something heavy would diesel be an option.
Petrol engine consumption is getting so much bette,r the difference considering the extra cost of the fuel does not really equate. Best I have achieved out of my 1.4 SE L DSG 7 seater is 44.7mpg. All VAG engines loosen up after about 4-5k miles and consumption then improves.
Moderator.SE L. 1.4DSG Jungle Green, PanRoof, Front Sensors, Beige Alcantara, Triglavs.Canton system. S/saver.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
“People say doing nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day”. :lol:
Winnie The Pooh.

Professor1999

Post by Professor1999 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:11 pm

Given you do mainly short jouneys and have had bad experiences with dpf i am surprised you are conisdering another diesel. Unless you do serious mileage or tow regularly petrol is a no brainer, particularly given recent demonisation of diesel (rightly or wrongly) and impact on residuals.

I have been happy with my petrol 1.4 dsg. Decent performance and mpgs are improving. As Colin says i have noticed an improvement from 2.5-3k miles. The other day i got 45.6 on a 17 mile journey. Little traffic, Average speed 34. 😀
Kodiaq Sportline 1.4 TSI 7st 4WD Velvet Red
Pan roof; Rear view camera; Adaptive cruise control; Spare wheel

Jon Edwards

Post by Jon Edwards » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:41 pm

Colin Lambert wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:22 am
Although the diesel scare is basically unfounded it has not precluded a dramatic drop in residuals for dervs. Even finance and PCP companies have started going away from 'oil burners' and some people have been left with a much larger final payment than they anticipated.
I have nothing against diesels per se, as I have had many, but given the current climate I would certainly not entertain one at present whatever type of driving you do. Only if towing something heavy would diesel be an option.
Petrol engine consumption is getting so much bette,r the difference considering the extra cost of the fuel does not really equate. Best I have achieved out of my 1.4 SE L DSG 7 seater is 44.7mpg. All VAG engines loosen up after about 4-5k miles and consumption then improves.
I got our diesel on a personal hire contract so no issues with residual values and also worked out cheaper than PCP. I also drove the 1.4 petrol recently and found it seriously lacking even by Kodiaq standards, very lack lustre and uninspiring. I could never recommend such a large vehicle with a 1.4 Petrol, the 2 litre is a better option if diesel is a concern although I would recommend a test drive in one to see if fits your driving style.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Edition - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey - Canton
Ordered 3rd April - Build Week 26 - Collected 17 August

Jon Edwards

Post by Jon Edwards » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:46 pm

osullivj wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:17 pm
Hi guys

We have a 7 seater discovery sport which is always getting its diesel filter clogged up ..it has got to the stage that LR have to replace the exhaust! I think this is due to the fact that we usually do short runs < 5km

Can anyone tell me if the kodiaq diesel suffers the same problem or would the petrol suit our needs

We would do big trips about once a month and would like to be able to bring it on big roadtrips for camping in France

Thanks
J
I understand the clutch on the Discover Sport is also a bit suspect, I know several people who have burnt out. I think the styling of the Sport is better than the Kodiaq but in terms of value for money the Kodiaq wins every time. The list price is significantly cheaper on equivalent models and if additional mileage charges are a concern then Land Rover’s are a staggering £0.28 per miles whilst Skoda’s are £0.07.

Professor1999

Post by Professor1999 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:08 pm

Jon Edwards wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:41 pm
Colin Lambert wrote:
I got our diesel on a personal hire contract so no issues with residual values and also worked out cheaper than PCP. I also drove the 1.4 petrol recently and found it seriously lacking even by Kodiaq standards, very lack lustre and uninspiring. I could never recommend such a large vehicle with a 1.4 Petrol, the 2 litre is a better option if diesel is a concern although I would recommend a test drive in one to see if fits your driving style.
Diesels are often the more lack lustre and uninspiring to drive (unless very high powered) due to the turbo lag. I test drove a sportline tdi as it was the only engine available in that trim and thought the turbo lag was terrible.
Kodiaq Sportline 1.4 TSI 7st 4WD Velvet Red
Pan roof; Rear view camera; Adaptive cruise control; Spare wheel

Jon Edwards

Post by Jon Edwards » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:31 pm

Professor1999 wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:08 pm
Jon Edwards wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:41 pm
Colin Lambert wrote:
Diesels are often the more lack lustre and uninspiring to drive (unless very high powered) due to the turbo lag. I test drove a sportline tdi as it was the only engine available in that trim and thought the turbo lag was terrible.
Maybe my driving style differs to yours but a 1.4 petrol is hardly high adrenalinedriving either, all I can say is that I have never been left wanting more power whilst overtaking with the 2.0 (150bhp) diesel, it’s not the same as my old vRS but considering it’s a Kodiaq I can’t complain. Neither of these engines are exciting let’s face it.

Return to “Main Skoda Kodiaq chat”