WARNING! Hard wiring of dash cams

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Kodiaq
Colin Lambert

WARNING! Hard wiring of dash cams

Post by Colin Lambert » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:08 am

Hopefully I am the only prat on the forum that did not realise that most dash cams require 5volts. :roll: (Damn stupid since all cars are 12volts!!!)
I hard wired mine not even considering this fact without a voltage dropper in the circuit. (which can be bought on EBAy for £2-3 ish)
I think my Vantrue N1 has done jolly well to run for a year in the Yeti and 14 months in the kodiaq on more than TWICE THE VOLTAGE it required!
So if you want to keep you dash cam happy and it's hard wired drop the voltage .......OR....
What I am going to do for my new one...... I checked with Meadens and the USB port in the centre console IS 5Volts and what's more it IS ignition controlled....SORTED! :D
Moderator.SE L. 1.4DSG Jungle Green, PanRoof, Front Sensors, Beige Alcantara, Triglavs.Canton system. S/saver.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
“People say doing nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day”. :lol:
Winnie The Pooh.

Daddy2Bears

Re: WARNING! Hard wiring of dash cams

Post by Daddy2Bears » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:29 am

Fro anyone with a Blackvue, they appear to be DC 12V-24V, so should be OK (Disclaimer - I am not an auto-electrician, I just checked a few manuals)

I've been planning on hard wiring mine for a few months, but just haven't had the time (and had the leccy seats issue to fit the piggy back) But think I've got it planned right now so should be done in a week or so.
Ordered 11/10/2017: BW 46: collected 15/12/2017
190 TDI 7 Seat Edition
Petrol Blue, Black Leather, Front Isofix, Tow bar Prep, Canton, Spare Wheel, ACC, Park Assist, Heated W/S-Wipers, Alu Pedals, Area View, Ambient Lighting, Personal Drive Mode Select

Daddy2Bears

Post by Daddy2Bears » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:04 am

Also worth making sure you know which is the hot fuse pin.

I found fuse 47 (Rear window wiper) had it's hot pin on top, meaning the piggy-back fuse holder would need to have the wire at the bottom.

However, as I have electric seats I can't use 47, so was looking at 32 (or 34 based on another forum's guide). Be aware that, on my car at least, these have hot pins on the bottom, so the wire should come from the top of the piggy-back.

Source: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/p ... -way.7524/
190 TDI 7 Seat Edition
Petrol Blue, Black Leather, Front Isofix, Tow bar Prep, Canton, Spare Wheel, ACC, Park Assist, Heated W/S-Wipers, Alu Pedals, Area View, Ambient Lighting, Personal Drive Mode Select

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:53 pm

I have just ordered TOGUARD GPS Car Dashcam Dashboard Camera 2.45" WiFi FHD 1080P Sony DVR Recorder

It has a 12v plug with twin USB sockets and since that runs at 5v and is ignition controlled, I shall do away with my hard wiring.
Moderator.SE L. 1.4DSG Jungle Green, PanRoof, Front Sensors, Beige Alcantara, Triglavs.Canton system. S/saver.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
“People say doing nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day”. :lol:
Winnie The Pooh.

Kenny R

Post by Kenny R » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:23 pm

Daddy2Bears wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:04 am
Also worth making sure you know which is the hot fuse pin.

I found fuse 47 (Rear window wiper) had it's hot pin on top, meaning the piggy-back fuse holder would need to have the wire at the bottom.

However, as I have electric seats I can't use 47, so was looking at 32 (or 34 based on another forum's guide). Be aware that, on my car at least, these have hot pins on the bottom, so the wire should come from the top of the piggy-back.

Source: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/p ... -way.7524/
This is a good to point out. I tried warning the members on a previous Forum I was on but a lot of people can’t get their head round that if the piggy back is inserted the wrong orientation they have no fused protection for the camera circuit.
Candy White 2.0 TSi SE L 7 seat. Heated windscreen/ nozzles, kids pack, front rear parking sensors, reversing camera and spare wheel.

duncanlowe

Post by duncanlowe » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:40 pm

Kenny R wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:23 pm

This is a good to point out. I tried warning the members on a previous Forum I was on but a lot of people can’t get their head round that if the piggy back is inserted the wrong orientation they have no fused protection for the camera circuit.
Not if they are the only kind of piggy back I have seen. The ones I have contain two fuses, one for the existing circuit, the other for your new circuit. The only difference in which way its inserted is that in one way your extra circuit is only protected by its own fuse (supply end of fuse to 'hot' as you refer to it) or the other way where its protected by the original fuse as well as it's own fuse. Now the latter is better, because there's no risk of overloading the original circuit as all loads are still passing through that same rated fuse, but if you don't do it you aren't ending up with no fuse for your new circuit.
Kodiaq 190 Edition 4x4 DSG 5 seat in a rather fetching shade of velvet red. From Stafford, England.

Daddy2Bears

Post by Daddy2Bears » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:04 pm

duncanlowe wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:40 pm

Not if they are the only kind of piggy back I have seen. The ones I have contain two fuses, one for the existing circuit, the other for your new circuit. The only difference in which way its inserted is that in one way your extra circuit is only protected by its own fuse (supply end of fuse to 'hot' as you refer to it) or the other way where its protected by the original fuse as well as it's own fuse. Now the latter is better, because there's no risk of overloading the original circuit as all loads are still passing through that same rated fuse, but if you don't do it you aren't ending up with no fuse for your new circuit.
But, if you put both loads through the same original fuse you could be blowing the fuse during normal operation.

Consider 2 x 5 amp fuses, if both loads take only 3 amps the original fuse should blow, even without a fault. If it doesn't, isn't that more luck than judgment?

To stop this you'd need to increase the rating of the original fuse, but that risks the original fuse's equipment.
190 TDI 7 Seat Edition

duncanlowe

Post by duncanlowe » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:10 am

Daddy2Bears wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:04 pm

But, if you put both loads through the same original fuse you could be blowing the fuse during normal operation.

Consider 2 x 5 amp fuses, if both loads take only 3 amps the original fuse should blow, even without a fault. If it doesn't, isn't that more luck than judgment?

To stop this you'd need to increase the rating of the original fuse, but that risks the original fuse's equipment.
A couple of points. If the original fuse is 5A then you shouldn't be taking more than 5A from it, you don't know that the feed up to it is capable. Also a 5A fuse will not blow at 6A. Even with a 50% overload it takes a long time, around 1000 seconds according to the fuse manufacturer.
Kodiaq 190 Edition 4x4 DSG 5 seat in a rather fetching shade of velvet red. From Stafford, England.

Kenny R

Post by Kenny R » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:49 am

Sorry for my misleading post above,
Candy White 2.0 TSi SE L 7 seat. Heated windscreen/ nozzles, kids pack, front rear parking sensors, reversing camera and spare wheel.

Return to “Faults & Technical”