Electric folding wing mirrors

All Skoda Kodiaq related discussions
Colin Lambert

Re: Electric folding wing mirrors

Post by Colin Lambert » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:20 pm

I have 2 very narrow bridges that I go through frequently.
1 one car wide with narrow pavement one side and brick wall on the other.
Other bridge the same apart from 2 cars wide.
Both bridges can be seen through and therefore driven through without stopping, only slowing down.
In the days before folding mirrors I had one smashed by oncoming idiot who swerved over the centre of bridge 2 and removed my door mirror.
Basically, I fold 'on the fly' to avoid idiots and wall in bridge 2 and brickwork in bridge one.
Bridge 2 is on a main road, so to stop, or even slow down to 9mph to fold mirrors would almost certainly cause a problem to following traffic.
No Skoda that I know of will fold out automatically at any speed. You have to twiddle the knob.
My 3 Saabs & Merc A class could be folded up to 30mph and would unfold automatically on reaching 30mph.
Understand why now?
ModeratorSE L. 1.5DSG. Emerald green. S/s spare, flappy paddles, f&r sensors, rear camera. KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

Swindiaq

Post by Swindiaq » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:10 pm

Also useful for narrow Cornish lanes and to dry the mirror glass
2017 SE L / 1.4 TSI 2wd DSG / 7seat / black everything / Canton / front sensors / rear cam / ACC / traffic recog / Williams ceramic protection

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:13 am

Exactly!
ModeratorSE L. 1.5DSG. Emerald green. S/s spare, flappy paddles, f&r sensors, rear camera. KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
[color=#00

wheelwright

Post by wheelwright » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:37 pm

I take it the mirrors are foldable off the remote, or is it different being keyless?
Ordered 20.7.18:-
Black magic 2.0tsi SEL 7 Seats 190 4x4 dsg
Beige heated leather front & rear
Heated steering wheel, Folding tables
Remote folding rear seats,
19" Black Gloss Triglav alloys

iwarv

Post by iwarv » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:20 am

wheelwright wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:37 pm
I take it the mirrors are foldable off the remote, or is it different being keyless?
The mirrors fold in automatically when you lock the car and fold out when you unlock the car.
When driving the car you can fold the mirrors in/out using the toggle button for mirror adjustments that's found in the driver's door.

This toggle is also used for heating the wing mirrors, btw. Not that we need that right now. But if you weren't in the know and all that...

skoda exterior mirrors.png

SE-L 1.4 150bhp DSG 4x4, 7 Seats, Quartz Grey, Front Sensors, Front DashCam

iwarv

Post by iwarv » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:28 am

Addendum:
In that same chapter of the manual it confirms that the mirrors will revert to fold out position when the vehicle reaches a speed of 9m/h (approx. 15 km/h).

@Colin hinted earlier in this thread that this limit may have been increased to 30 m/h (approx 50 km/h) in recent firmware updates.

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:22 am

iwarv wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:28 am
Addendum:
In that same chapter of the manual it confirms that the mirrors will revert to fold out position when the vehicle reaches a speed of 9m/h (approx. 15 km/h).

*Colin hinted earlier in this thread that this limit may have been increased to 30 m/h (approx 50 km/h) in recent firmware updates.
Nothing to do with firmware update.
My car was one of the first 6 on the road on 6th April 2017.
My wing mirrors have ALWAYS folded up to 30mph and will NEVER unfold automatically at any speed. (the only automatically unfolding mirrors I have ever come across were my 3X 9-3 Saab Convertibles and my MB A class Elegance.
If the later models are different then it is a ridiculous retrograde step, going back to the 2015 and previous Yeti!
*BTW I am NOT @ Colin! :twisted: I really CANNOT see the point of @names. I don't use Twatter or Farcebook. :lol: So it is a pointless form of address as far as I am concerned.
[color=#00

iwarv

Post by iwarv » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:06 am

Apologies for misquoting. I must do better at reading. Less haste, more accuracy.
For the record; you compared the Kodiaq with the Yeti.

Salient - however - that the Kodiaq user manual claims to auto fold-out at 9 m/h like the Yeti, whereas you discovered that Skoda does so at 30 m/h.

Also apologies for decorating your name. That habit is not just a twitter thing though. Other forums I have used over the years attribute significance to decorated names.

But not this forum, so I shall endeavour to cease and desist.

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:51 am

Ta everso! :lol:
None of my Yetis ever folded OUT at any speed. The 9mph was the speed you had to drop down to to fold them IN.
TG that Skoda have now seen sense and allow folding up to 30 (at least on mine!)
[color=#00

Return to “Main Skoda Kodiaq chat”