Winter tyres

All Skoda Kodiaq related discussions
tractorman

Winter tyres

Post by tractorman » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:08 pm

I am sure this topic will have been covered somewhere but after I quick search I couldn't find anything, I am due shortly to receive my new 4x4 Kodiaq and we live in the wild hills of East Lancashire 1100ft up, I was wondering about basically replacing the tyres on my new vehicle in November with good quality snow tyres as its likely to see quite a bit of snow and ice in winter. Does anyone know of a good make? the vehicle will come on 19 inch alloys and whilst I appreciate this vehicle wont be as good as a 4x4 pickup we have I would like to make it as good in snow and ice as possible. I have considered buying a spare set of alloys but I suspect the price of four new alloys will make that unlikely, the snow tyres are essential I just couldn't cope with my new baby being stuck in 3 inches of snow on a hill.
Kodiaq 2.0TDI diesel 4X4 Auto SE L, in Meteor Grey, adaptive cruise control, leather, colour maxi dot trip computer (whatever that is) rear view camera full LED, due to be built week 37 late August 2018 delivery not soon enough.

ChristianScout190

Re: Winter tyres

Post by ChristianScout190 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:37 am

Have had 4 seasons out of a set of Nokian winters on my fully loaded van..... Absolutely fantastic.

Replaced them with infinity (I think) this year. Not quite as good but a lot cheaper.

Much easier to invest in a set of smaller wheels and just swap them over. There will be a much better, and cheaper, selection of tyres for smaller wheels.

I would expect the kodiaq the kodiaq to be as good as a pick up if not better due to it having some weight over the rear wheels and independent suspension.
Scout 190 TDI 4x4 DSG
Gaffer tape is like 'the force'... It has a light side, a dark side and it holds the universe together.

Kenny R

Post by Kenny R » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:37 am

It would be much easier to get a set of 17” steel wheels with winter tyres fitted from the likes of Mytyres.co.uk. They will probably be cheaper than buying a set of 19” winter tyres and you don’t have the problem of demounting tyres every 6 months with the possibility of damage to your alloys. I’ve had Nokian winter tyres fitted to my previous Yetis for the last 7 years during the winter, and will be looking at getting the same for the Kodiaq soon.
Candy White 2.0 TSi SE L 7 seat. Heated windscreen/ nozzles, kids pack, front rear parking sensors, reversing camera and spare wheel, Milotec rear bumper inserts.

jolydude

Post by jolydude » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:24 pm

+1 for Nokian. On the expensive side, but well worth it.

gojoholo

Post by gojoholo » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:52 am

The 17 inch wheels & tyres will be a slightly different diameter than the 19 inch ones. Do you have to change a setting somewhere so the speed/mileage is still correct?
2.0 TSI Edition, 7 seat, Black with Beige Leather
ACC, Pan. roof, LED Light pack ,Canton, Heated rear seats, Heated w/s + washer jets , spare wheel, Front and rear parking sensors, heated steering wheel, Rear view camera

Kenny R

Post by Kenny R » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:06 am

gojoholo wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:52 am
The 17 inch wheels & tyres will be a slightly different diameter than the 19 inch ones. Do you have to change a setting somewhere so the speed/mileage is still correct?
The difference in diameter between the two is minimal, probably less than 5mm. There is likely this amount of difference when your 19” tyres wear down from new.
Just checked, the difference in speedo reading @ 60MPH is 0.5 MPH well within tolerance.
Candy White 2.0 TSi SE L 7 seat. Heated windscreen/ nozzles, kids pack, front rear parking sensors, reversing camera and spare wheel, Milotec rear bumper inserts.

gojoholo

Post by gojoholo » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:55 am

Which Nokian tyres do you use? (WR SUV 3? WR SUV4?) I'm guessing that on 17 inch wheels you would get 215/65R17 tyres?
2.0 TSI Edition, 7 seat, Black with Beige Leather
ACC, Pan. roof, LED Light pack ,Canton, Heated rear seats, Heated w/s + washer jets , spare wheel, Front and rear parking sensors, heated steering wheel, Rear view camera

duncanlowe

Post by duncanlowe » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:17 pm

The wheels might be a different size, but what is important is the rolling radius of the tyre. That is made up by the wheel radius plus the sidewall depth of the tyre.

So how do you know the depth of the sidewall. It's the width of the tyre tread, multiplied by the profile. So tyre with dimensions 200/40 R18 has an 18 inch diameter rim (radius 9 inch works out to 229mm) plus the depth of the sidewall which is 40% of 200 which is 80mm, total 310mm. Now if you had a 200/60 R17 it fits a 17 inch wheel (216mm radius) but the sidewall is 60% of 200 which is 120mm, total 336mm . So in this case (with made up numbers) the 17 inch tyre has a bigger rolling radius than the 18 inch not smaller, but hopefully it makes the point. So to maintain an almost identical rolling radius you choose the right combination of wheel size, tyre width and tyre profile.

Approved wheel and tyre combinations for the Kodiaq are:
215/65 R17
235/55 R18
235/50 R19
Kodiaq 190 Edition 4x4 DSG 5 seat in a rather fetching shade of velvet red. From Stafford, England.

PhilBate

Post by PhilBate » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:16 pm

I don't think they offer the 17in wheels with any of the 2.0 engines (in UK at least) so might have to be careful not to invalidate insurance/warranty etc. by fitting 17's. Best check but 18's should be OK with them I guess.
High Wycombe
(On order from 27 March) 2.0 TSI DSG 4x4 7 Seat Edition, Petrol Blue, Front/Rear sensors, Spare wheel, Heated Screen + Jets, Rear Camera, CANTON sound, Media Command and Aluminium pedals.

duncanlowe

Post by duncanlowe » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:39 pm

PhilBate wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:16 pm
I don't think they offer the 17in wheels with any of the 2.0 engines (in UK at least) so might have to be careful not to invalidate insurance/warranty etc. by fitting 17's. Best check but 18's should be OK with them I guess.
They are an approved fitment by Skoda, so insurers will accept them. At least that's what insurers have told me when I asked about winter wheels before.

Screen Shot 2018-08-14 at 16.38.25.png

Kodiaq 190 Edition 4x4 DSG 5 seat in a rather fetching shade of velvet red. From Stafford, England.

Return to “Main Skoda Kodiaq chat”