Columbus 9.2, can't change album art

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
Estophilux

Columbus 9.2, can't change album art

Post by Estophilux » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:52 pm

This is not a serious problem on the scale of things, but I wonder if anyone can help.

I have the Columbus 9.2 unit with Canton. To benefit from it as much as possible, I've been slowly re-converting my CDs to flac files and saving them to an SD card. Previously I only had them as relatively low quality mp3s or wmas. I've been using EAC to rip the CDs and Mp3tag to edit the information in the tags. I'm new to both of those, but for the most part it has gone well and I'm very happy with the overall sound quality.

But I'm struggling to get the Columbus to display the correct album art. Before I had the SD card ready to go, I had already connected my old mp3 player a couple of times via USB and my phone's music player via Bluetooth, and it seems to me that the Columbus must have some sort of cache for album art hidden away somewhere. I've added decent quality (but not too big) album art image files using Mp3tag and saved them to the SD card, but the images being displayed on the Columbus screen are still the much lower quality ones from my mp3 player which hasn't been connected to the Columbus unit for at least the last two weeks.

Has anyone heard of this problem? Does anyone know how to get around it? All I want is for it to display the album art as selected in Mp3tag, rather than somehow remembering what it has used before.

I suppose I could always try a factory reset of the Columbus unit if all else fails, but I thought I'd ask here first.

Thanks in advance!
Kodiaq 2.0 TSI Style, Lava Blue, Triton, DSG7, 7 seats, Columbus, Canton, pano roof, black perf. leather heated seats, DCC, ACC, TJA, night pack, rough road pack, sport steering wheel, alu pedals

Zach

Re: Columbus 9.2, can't change album art

Post by Zach » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:17 pm

It may or may not be due to the inbuilt Gracenote database in the unit?
BW32 2017 Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 TDI Style 5 Seater in Quartz Grey Metallic + Sirius rims, Extended Warranty, Panoramic Sunroof, heated washer jets, sleep pack, rear heated seats, 3rd key + driver profiles

Estophilux

Post by Estophilux » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:05 pm

Zach wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:17 pm
It may or may not be due to the inbuilt Gracenote database in the unit?
Ahhaa - I had assumed it would try to connect to Gracenote when online, which I very rarely am when in the car, but I certainly hadn't realised that there is an in-built Gracenote database.

A bit of searching around and reading about equivalent VW units and older Columbus units made me realise that some of the album art files were probably too big and so being rejected and replaced by Gracenote. So I reduced the size of the images and hey presto, I have the images I want!

There is nothing about this in the manual. It does say that the recommended resolution for digital radio station logos is 500x500 pixels, but there's no mention of album art image files. So far, on a trial and error basis, it seems to have accepted up to 600x600.

Anyway, thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
Kodiaq 2.0 TSI Style, Lava Blue, Triton, DSG7, 7 seats, Columbus, Canton, pano roof, black perf. leather heated seats, DCC, ACC, TJA, night pack, rough road pack, sport steering wheel, alu pedals

iwarv

Post by iwarv » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:13 pm

It's a bit of a niche problem, but this resolution is worth a "sticky" in my opinion.
SE-L 1.4 150bhp DSG 4x4, 7 Seats, Quartz Grey, Front Sensors, Front DashCam

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”