European driving

All Skoda Kodiaq related discussions
Inkarr

European driving

Post by Inkarr » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:08 pm

We are soon to go over to France on a ferry with the Kodiaq. I wondered if anyone had any tips of what to do with car features. Kind of thinking a cheat sheet. I have an Edition model but I'm thinking things like

Lights when driving in Europe. Will they switch automatically based off GPS or will I need to find the setting and do it myself
Clock is set to use GPS so will change but it is minor.

Alarm for the car while on the ferry. I assume I'll need to disable "anti towing" alarm or something so the ferry motion doesn't set it off.

Anything I need to consider?
Kodiaq Edition 5 seater 2.0 (190) DSG in Petrol Blue.
Electric towbar, Heated windscreen and washers, Assistance Pack, Area view with trailer assist, Travel Assist, Childrens pack, Virtual pedal, Heated steering wheel

davos

Re: European driving

Post by davos » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:39 pm

Hi Inkarr
Interesting question. I will also be heading to France, so was wondering something similar. I didn't realise that we could tell the car to change the direction of the lights for the other side of the road. I thought I'd need to buy those reflector stickers.
This is probably not the main focus of your question, but one thing you may not be aware of (I read it on another thread the other day) is that along with all the other things French regulations insist you carry in the car (breathalyser etc) you should have a hi vis vest within the cabin of the car for every person in the car). I think that French law also stipulates that you should carry spare light bulbs for the headlights (although not sure how that is supposed to work with LED lights, i think that this is a bit of an outdated law).
Also, depending on where you are going, you should apply for a vignette to prove that the emissions of the car do not exceed certain limits (only relevant if driving in certain cities at certain times).
Sorry, I'm not sure how helpful this post is, I realise I'm probably raising more questions than answers. :roll:
From London. 1.4 Edition DSG, Black, with quite a few added safety options and toys. Absolutely loving it so far :)

iwarv

Post by iwarv » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:54 pm

I have taken the car over to the mainland twice so far.

Although the car will sync its clock using GPS if you so desire, it will only sync to UTC time.
You will have to manually set the timezone.

Headlight adjustment also does not occur automatically.
Note: only available on models with LED headlights.

It sounds like a small step for the car to make these adjustments automatically, doesn't it?

headlights.png

SE-L 1.4 150bhp DSG 4x4, 7 Seats, Quartz Grey, Front Sensors, Front DashCam

iwarv

Post by iwarv » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:57 pm

Also check out https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/driv ... checklist/ for other regulatory requirements.

Estophilux

Post by Estophilux » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:05 pm

davos wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:39 pm
... along with all the other things French regulations insist you carry in the car (breathalyser etc) you should have a hi vis vest within the cabin of the car for every person in the car). I think that French law also stipulates that you should carry spare light bulbs for the headlights (although not sure how that is supposed to work with LED lights, i think that this is a bit of an outdated law)...
The breathalyser regulation is still in place, but I believe it is very rarely enforced. Which is good, because here in Luxembourg, from where it is only a 10-15 minute drive to the French border, you simply can't find those single-use breathalysers any more. When the French regulation came into force a few years ago, all the shops started stocking them knowing there would be a huge run on them. Which there was. But now I can't find one for love or money. I have also heard that if the rule is enforced, you actually need to have two breathalysers in the car - the reason I was told is that if you are stopped and have to use the one breathalyser you have, you immediately no longer meet the rule to have an unused breathalyser in the car...

As for the hi-vis vests, as davos said, note that the important thing is that the vests have to be in the cabin of the car, not in the boot - the point being that you have to be able to put them on before leaving the car.
Kodiaq 2.0 TSI Style, Lava Blue, Triton, DSG7, 7 seats, Columbus, Canton, pano roof, black perf. leather heated seats, DCC, ACC, TJA, night pack, rough road pack, sport steering wheel, alu pedals

Pink72

Post by Pink72 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:12 pm

I believe you also need GB sticker. If you have the Euro number plate symbol that meets standard size regulation then the former is negated.
Kodiaq 2.0tdi 190 4x4 DSG quartz metallic - canton, heated steering wheel, screen & rear seats, ambient light, media cmd, personalisation drive mode, front parking sensors, tri zone climate control, vico opia2 cash cam, Thule wingbars.

iwarv

Post by iwarv » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:57 pm

Pink72 wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:12 pm
I believe you also need GB sticker. If you have the Euro number plate symbol that meets standard size regulation then the former is negated.
Yep, that bit has me worried a bit.
Will we still mutually recognise each other's euro plates post-Brexit?
Or will I have to stick an unsightly (no offence intended) sticker on my nice paintwork to take my car abroad?

Perhaps the UK will in time adopt an alternative euro plate like Switzerland or Norway.

FTR; a valid euro plate reads "GB" in our case. You see plenty of custom "SCO", "Cymru" and "EN" ones. Not seen a "NI" one yet, though.
These are not officially issued number plates. While I applaud the sentiment behind them, they are not internationally recognised.
If you wish to sport such a plate - and I am not stopping you - then in the strictest sense you are obliged to put a GB sticker on your car if you wish to take the car abroad.

H2UBS

Post by H2UBS » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:36 pm

Pink72 wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:12 pm
If you haven't got Euro plates then a cheap option is to get stickers for your plates to make them such. Example here on Amazon :

What will happen after Brexit is anyones guess but interestingly Turkey use Euro plates though not a full member but are in a Customs Union.
2.0 tdi SE L 4x4 190 DSG, 5 Seats, Business Grey, dark Alcantara, Triglavs, tow bar. Delivered 15th Sept.

Pink72

Post by Pink72 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:55 am

My sentiment too and agree with above per sticking stuff to the paintwork. The Euro standard is very specific. The sticker idea above is a good idea if the plate number is spaced and has room to accommodate them and obviously disposable if the Eurozone gets all silly with symbol standards/requirements post Brexit.
Kodiaq 2.0tdi 190 4x4 DSG quartz metallic - canton, heated steering wheel, screen & rear seats, ambient light, media cmd, personalisation drive mode, front parking sensors, tri zone climate control, vico opia2 cash cam, Thule wingbars.

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:42 am

Or get them from Halfords,
Any A1autostores
Any good accessory shop
Moderator.SE L. 1.4DSG Jungle Green, PanRoof, Front Sensors, Beige Alcantara, Triglavs.Canton system. S/saver.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
“People say doing nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day”. :lol:
Winnie The Pooh.

Return to “Main Skoda Kodiaq chat”