Rear traffic alert and blind spot monitoring switching off

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Kodiaq
FoxtrotAlpha

Re: Rear traffic alert and blind spot monitoring switching off

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:01 am

Silverbear wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:15 am
Regarding the warranty, when to my great surprise I found out some cars would need a cooling upgrade if a towbar was fitted after market, not to mention the problems with the electrics some people then experience I more or less decided that a factory fitted towbar was essential on every car, Skoda and otherwise, and had one factory fitted. To my mind a tow bar is so likely to be required during the lifetime of a car that it should be manditory on all cars to be sure that it is safe, any warranty that is left on a used vehicle is valid, and that people who buy cars used know precisely what they have.

I also think every new car should be supplied with a full size spare road wheel identical to those on the vehicle and an appropriate place to properly store it. Consequently I won't now buy any vehicle without a factory tow bar and what I deem to be a proper spare wheel. You can keep your fancy sensors until the basic car is properly configured in my book.

Currently I have a courtesy car by a different brand and though the start/stop system is vastly better than the Skoda offering it is bristling with sensors all over the place that are constantly going off and it has no spare wheel at all. I loath it and can't wait to get the Kodiaq back when I shall resume turning off the start/stop.
Tow bars to be mandatory?

So likely to be required?

You are on a different planet, last thing most people want on a new car is a tow bar, most people never tow with a car so why should they suffer the costs of having one.

Personally I like all the sensors, they very rarely go off and they are there for our safety. It nice to see you drive around in a different century, bet you have driving gloves too.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Sportline - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey

Deleted User 2278

Post by Deleted User 2278 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:46 am

FoxtrotAlpha wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:01 am

You are on a different planet, last thing most people want on a new car is a tow bar, most people never tow with a car so why should they suffer the costs of having one.

Personally I like all the sensors, they very rarely go off and they are there for our safety. It nice to see you drive around in a different century, bet you have driving gloves too.
I certainly am, we certainly don 't speak to people that way on my planet.

I did not speak of new cars, I referred to the life time of a car. My opinion (apologies for having one) is that cars should be designed anticipating the needs of all the likely owners of a car through to when it is scrapped and not just the lucky minority who buy them new.

I suspect this is the last time I reply to our comments. I'm tired of them.

As regards sensors rarely going off well this morning travelling to work the forward sensors on my courtesy car went off every time someone crossed the road in front of me in city centres. That is pointless, that is what happens in gridlock in city centres. It is not helpful and actually rather maddening to have the car beep 20 times just because 20 people walk in front of the car. The lane warning went off multiple times incorrectly as single carriageways became two and then back again. Pointless, that is the way dual carriage ways are designed. I momentarily and with complete safety ventured over the central line on a lonely gentle bend in the countryside with not an approaching car to be seen in the other direction and again it angrily beeps at me. When I get out the car and close the door the car beeps at me and if I dare to walk away from it to fetch something it beeps again and locks the doors automatically so I find myself having to unlock the damn thing many times and each time it makes a loud beep. Goodness knows what the neighbours think.

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:55 am

Silverbear wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:46 am
FoxtrotAlpha wrote:

I did not speak of new cars, I referred to the life time of a car. My opinion (apologies for having one) is that cars should be designed anticipating the needs of all the likely owners of a car through to when it is scrapped and not just the lucky minority who buy them new.

As regards sensors rarely going off well this morning travelling to work the forward sensors on my courtesy car went off every time someone crossed the road in front of me in city centres. That is pointless, that is what happens in gridlock in city centres. It is not helpful and actually rather maddening to have the car beep 20 times just because 20 people walk in front of the car. The lane warning went off multiple times incorrectly as single carriageways became two and then back again. Pointless, that is the way dual carriage ways are designed. I momentarily and with complete safety ventured over the central line on a lonely gentle bend in the countryside with not an approaching car to be seen in the other direction and again it angrily beeps at me. When I get out the car and close the door the car beeps at me and if I dare to walk away from it to fetch something it beeps again and locks the doors automatically so I find myself having to unlock the damn thing many times and each time it makes a loud beep. Goodness knows what the neighbours think.
Sounds like operator error and not a systems error.

Sorry to offend, just seems like you have a very old attitude to cars and technology, the fact remains is that even you 'bog standard' Kodiaq relies constantly on the sensors you seem to dispise.

Deleted User 2278

Post by Deleted User 2278 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:25 am

FoxtrotAlpha wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:55 am
Silverbear wrote:
FoxtrotAlpha wrote:

Sorry to offend, just seems like you have a very old attitude to cars and technology, the fact remains is that even you 'bog standard' Kodiaq relies constantly on the sensors you seem to dispise.
One last heave. How can you be sorry and then immediately tell me I have an old attitude? I rather suspect the certificates hanging on my wall from two world famous technology giants thanking me and my colleagues for our contribution to some technology would put an end to this. My particular contribution was, you'll appreciate the irony, sensors. Please stop the lectures, I suspect I should be the one giving them. It is utterly pointless having proximity sensors beeping when the car is stationary. So no more. Stop it. Leave it alone. I have an opinion on sensor technology and perhaps technology in general that is different to yours. No need for insults. Calm debate is perfectly adequate.

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:40 am

Silverbear wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:25 am
FoxtrotAlpha wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:55 am
Silverbear wrote:

One last heave. How can you be sorry and then immediately tell me I have an old attitude? I rather suspect the certificates hanging on my wall from two world famous technology giants thanking me and my colleagues for our contribution to some technology would put an end to this. My particular contribution was, you'll appreciate the irony, sensors. Please stop the lectures, I suspect I should be the one giving them. It is utterly pointless having proximity sensors beeping when the car is stationary. So no more. Stop it. Leave it alone. I have an opinion on sensor technology and perhaps technology in general that is different to yours. No need for insults. Calm debate is perfectly adequate.
I used to have a certificate on my wall, it was for 25m breaststroke, It was my 5th birthday. I never put my 50m breaststroke certificate on the wall as I had grown out of it by the time I was 5 and a bit but I do empathise with you as I do remember the pride of looking back at past success.

Old and Grumpy

Post by Old and Grumpy » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:02 pm

Silverbear wrote:
FoxtrotAlpha wrote:

Hi Silverbear. Can you enlighten us on what Make/Model of car is annoying you so much? I want to know what to avoid buying as over sensitive sensors would drive me up the wall!
2018 Kodiaq SE 1.4 TSI, 2WD, manual, 5 seater, Petrol Blue, Leicestershire. :D

kpjuk

Post by kpjuk » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:22 pm

"This document tells you the T&C’s for Skoda UK:

https://az749841.vo.msecnd.net/sitesengb/alv1/681e0567-9e39-4078-88de-df61013683c7/SKODA_Warranty_Terms_November_2018.59c8de521ff537083074db669bd4a47d.pdf"

Thanks for that FoxtrotAlpha, just what I was looking for.
18 Plate 2.0 150PS Petrol Blue Kodiaq Edition 4x4 7 Seat

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:30 pm

kpjuk wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:22 pm
"This document tells you the T&C’s for Skoda UK:

https://az749841.vo.msecnd.net/sitesengb/alv1/681e0567-9e39-4078-88de-df61013683c7/SKODA_Warranty_Terms_November_2018.59c8de521ff537083074db669bd4a47d.pdf"

Thanks for that FoxtrotAlpha, just what I was looking for.
You’re welcome. Good luck with any warranty claim.

BigSilv

Post by BigSilv » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:58 am

Hi all, Mine developed the same faults. Both reverse park assist & blind spot monitor become unavailable when shifted to reverse gear. Booked in with dealer on next Tuesday. I hope it's just software issue. I don't have a towbar fitted. Any info will be highly appreciated.
2.0 TDI 150 PS Edition Black 7seats Canton Ambient lighting Heated screen Folding Table Tablet Holder Rearview Camera