Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner

Racechip XLR

20K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  Colin Lambert 
#1 ·
Well it arrived yesterday and was installed in 10minutes (+the 10 minute electrical 'cooling off time'). As said before it was a bit of a fiddle getting the original plug out of the throttle pedal connector and putting the XLR connector in but apart from that it was a doddle.
Instructions say open the door and lock the car, you CAN'T and therefore the alarm is not set (they say disable the alarm) and leave the car for 10 minutes with the door open. Just make sure there is nothing drawing current apart from the red light on the door. Move the 'key ' out of range, it is about 30feet.
There is a very useful hole at the top right of the 'interior' which is lined with foam and is just the right size to fit 'brain'. If you leave the main cable tied as it arrives, in a loop, there was no need for any cable ties . I did put the sticky backed patches on either side of the 'brain' one to anchor it to the foam and on the front to protect it from the raw steel edge of the panel (se pic)
As far as performance goes. I would agree with others. Sport + is just TOO MUCH!
I think I shall leave mine on 'Race' .
Whichever you use apart from the 'Eco & Eco +' the lag has gone. the two E positions especially the E+ make the car almost undriveable in traffic. it just doesn't GO!
I am leaving the controller where it is until I make up my mind then I will probably tuck it into the small cubby under the light switch. Too much faff to unplug it, although it will remember your setting if you want to disconnect it.
I have only been 4 miles with it but am intending to go on a 30 mile trip cross country + town today so I will see what affect it has on consumption, if any and report back.
I have written to Racechip to see if they will offer any sort of discount to Forum Members for the XLR or any tuning chips.....I await their reply and will update asap!

Black piece nearest camera is the car original plug connected to the 'Brain' 'in' plug.

The 'hidey-hole, specially designed by Skoda to house the XLR 'Brain' (nah- not really!! :lol:

Control fixed using supplied sticky pad. May be removed later.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Colin,

Glad the fit went well.....and you're right about the lag going (though the effect may vary between our different engines).

As per post on the other thread, mine pretty much lives on the "S+" setting now, with no need to go any higher for normal driving. Having done 90 miles today, on a couple of occasions I turned it back down to the Skoda stock setting and the difference is very noticeable.

Enjoy!

#3 ·
Did a 30 odd mile trip over the Purbeck hills to Swanage. Traffic jams, fast bits, big hills.
I've come to the conclusion that for the 1.4DSG anything above 'S' will cost you in the consumption stakes. Assuming an ordinarily heavy right foot! Overall consumption for the day 32.1 mpg. Which is normal at only 2300 miles on the clock.
I did have it in 'S +' at one point accelerating up a steep hill and it took off like a scalded cat.
Quite took me by surprise.
All this trip with SWMBO & 2 large Lurchers (luckily lying down).
Overall opinion....... Certainly does what it claims to do. You will still get the odd 'hang fire' on the DSG Going up a gear, but I don't think there is anything the average owner can do about that.
I haven't timed it, but it seems to give a much quicker 'off the mark' sprint. But once it opens the throttle to the max. I don't think it is any quicker. That is understandable as it is NOT a performance chip.
If throttle lag is bugging you BUY ONE! (But wait and see if my request for a discount for Forum members comes off. I'll post as soon as I hear from Racechip.)

#5 ·
Listening to all the positive feedback I've bitten the bullet and put an order in to DTUK.

Probably a dumb question but for those who have fitted them, I take it the box overrules the throttle mode setting as per the infotainment? Also does changing from D to S have any effect now?

#6 ·
AndyH said:
Listening to all the positive feedback I've bitten the bullet and put an order in to DTUK.

Probably a dumb question but for those who have fitted them, I take it the box overrules the throttle mode setting as per the infotainment? Also does changing from D to S have any effect now?
All the current options remain unchanged, both in terms of the settings in infotainment and also switching between D or S modes via the DSG box (pulling back on the gearstick!).

All the "magic box" does is re-map the throttle curve in whatever mode you are in, reducing / removing the dead spots, in terms of the messages coming from the throttle.

The changes are cumulative......if you have the car in Sport mode, and then on top of that you have the XLR box in one of the top modes (R / R+) it really is responsive (in fact too responsive so I've pretty much settled on S+)

#7 ·
Thanks Sprower that makes sense.

FedEx have told me they will deliver tomorrow so looking forward to that.

I notified my insurer and they have yet to come back to me, I'm anticipating a charge for the 'modification' even though it doesn't alter power output. NZ insurers are (in my opinion) liars charlatans and thieves ($7000 offer for Earthquake damage, 2 year fight, settled for $240,000) so I guess they are getting it back, a little bit at a time !!!

#8 ·
Here is Racechips answer! (In blue , below)
Dear Lunis,
Many thanks for your reply. I am sorry that you cannot off a 'club discount'.
Many British Insurers do not look at all kindly on performance enhancing electronics (My insurance company refuses to cover cars so fitted)
So I doubt that many people on our forum will order 2 or more products.
Thank you for looking into it for me.
Apparently The Company 'TOPCASHBACK' will offer a 14% discount on your products, so our members will have to go that way if they want an XLR.
Kind regards,
Colin Lambert.

On 7 Aug 2017, at 08:36, RaceChip | Lunis Ait-Atmane (RaceChip) <support@racechip.zendesk.com> wrote:
RaceChip | Lunis Ait-Atmane (RaceChip)
Aug 7, 09:36 CEST

Dear Colin,

a discount is possible, but not by using a special discount code. When ordering 2 or more products on the same invoice, we can offer a discount.

RaceChip | Lunis Ait-Atmane
Customer Service

#9 ·
AndyH said:

Any reason you chose DTUK over racechip?

#10 ·
Can I poke my nose into your post?
I chose Racechip over DTUK even though DTUK is £20 cheaper, I did not like the single unit.
On the Racechip, once you have decided what setting you want, you can unplug the control module, also you can see at a glance what it is set at, whereas DTUK just has up/down button.
(I suppose that on the DTUK you could hide the unit once you had decided on setting) 'I didunt fink of dat!!' DUUUH! :lol:

#11 ·
For me it was just a question of aesthetics, I expected them both to perform equally but thought the matt black / chrome accents blended a bit better in the cabin. Boy was it worth the money, I leave mine in sport+ and the car responds fantastically. It has genuinely transformed the driving experience and I would recommend it 100%.

You can tell at a glance what mode it is in - the O lights up green for city, orange for sport and red for sport plus, there are three + and three - increments for each setting, and there is a bank of LEDs (three green three red) between the + and - buttons, so it is pretty clear.

View attachment 129

Update on insurance, Vero are not loading my premium, they have advised that as it is TUV approved and CE certified it does not affect my cover. Surprised . . . delighted, but surprised nonetheless.

Attachments

#13 ·
Andy,
Re DTUK, I stand corrected, Sorry!
Whichever one buys they do transform the driving experience. Anyone who is a bit of a petrolhead and cares about the quality of the drive really should consider investing the dosh! Let's face it, it's naff all compared to the price of the car.
BTW what IS the chrome knob to the left of the centre console with what looks like a card behind it?? Also the red 'blob' on the glovebox lid? are they other goodies I can waste more of my pension on?? :lol:

#14 ·
Colin Lambert said:
Andy,
BTW what IS the chrome knob to the left of the centre console with what looks like a card behind it?? Is it another goody I can waste more of my pension on?? :lol:
I'm guessing a magnetic ball phone holder. Had one on my Octavia - brilliant. However the Kodiaq is so interactive that I don't now bother getting my phone out of my pocket.

Andy - Damn! You've got some stuff on that car.

#16 ·
Yes Colin it is a Steelie phone mount on a Brodit adapter for the Kodiaq. I use apps that don't work with CarPlay so have the iPhone screen visible rather than tucked away in the cubby. Not sure what I'll do when the iPhone 8 is released if it has wireless charging, but I think I must have been a Magpie in a former life as I seem to be attracted to sparkly things!!

#17 ·
I've also spoken to my insurer (Privilege) who were slightly confused by exactly what it does, but when I clearly went through it with them, and on confirmation that it does not affect the engine power / BHP etc. and only impacts the responsiveness, they have confirmed they are happy with that, no additional premium, and they have made appropriate notes on my insurance file.

Of course I've also noted the date and time of the phone call in my records, so I'm happy I'm fully covered, open and honest about having fitted it, with no additional premium.

#18 ·
When I contacted Aviva I did it via 'live chat' on line. They then send a transcript of the chat if you want one, so I have it in writing!!!!
I am sure all our premiums will go up next time, so we won't know if they keep their word on XLRs/DTUKs or if it is just the normal rip off increase. :shock:

#20 ·
They show it on the web site but don't give a price or the option to choose it, as far as I could see.
I can't really see the point to be honest.

#21 ·
kthuno said:
Did anyone try the App-based control function with the XLR?
I'm assuming that for some reason that's not available in the UK / Europe as I didn't see any option for it whilst purchasing / installing. But I agree......totally unnecessary.

#23 ·
You have to choose the correct chip for the car. As far as recalibrating for a different car.... I would not know. You should ask RACECHIP.
Their reply would, I am sure, be of interest to others if you would be kind enough to publish it here.
Thanks.

#24 ·
Sprower said:
kthuno said:
Did anyone try the App-based control function with the XLR?
I'm assuming that for some reason that's not available in the UK / Europe as I didn't see any option for it whilst purchasing / installing. But I agree......totally unnecessary.
I have the App based control on mine and it works fine.

#25 ·
I also can't see the point of the app? Can you enlighten us.
I twiddle the control knob and do so, so rarely that it matters not.

#26 ·
Hi I have an app...its bloody convenient to change the modes...sometimes SPORT+ sometime SPORT etc...and to go to dealer I just disable it ...
It's like a little toy to play with :D
Admit it guys...big men are sometimes like a children...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.