Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner

How to get 4G to feed the infotainment/hotspot?

23K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  Ellebees 
#1 ·

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
mmmhhhh how would I know?

Has anyone tried any of these dongles and can vouch that they work?

#4 ·
Why not use a mobile 4G wifi dongle? It can work as a hotspot for your car and mobile devices. I use one while on holidays abroad and very happy with the connection speed.

#5 ·
I have one of those and the battery life is horrendously bad. Hence thinking of removing the sim and putting it in a compatible dongle...

#7 ·
I have turned on the hotspot on my mobile as I have a 24gb data allowance. When it connects to the phone it works great

#13 ·
BTW skoda dealer couldn't order the VW car stick under the ref ending with B...

As per accessory part from skoda, it appears it is the same ref with a C...

Product Font Automotive design Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Has anyone bought this?

Attachments

#14 ·
Gizmo68 said:
Only if you spec it though.
How do you spec it?

It gone from not being able to have it in UK models, to having it in the spec, yet there are no obvious order options for it, unless it is via the MEDIA COMMAND, in which case happy days

#16 ·
Ordered the Car Stick (B version - VW... Skoda is not availble in the UK nor Skoda eshop, nor superskoda...) from Amazon... Home tomorrow.

Will let you know how it goes.

#17 ·
Yes, the LTE Option gives you a SIM card slot. Whilst the description talks about Bluetooth, Wireless Charging and Phonebox, in the Edition they are standard so the £750 is for the LTE module (£250 of the cost) and two years extra infotainment online (fuel prices , parking etc). You can't get one without the other it seems. From what I have seen, the 2 yrs infotainment is not worth the money at £20 per month! However I like the SIM facility. It provides phone and data or data alone, copes with 4G and allows me to have my regular phone unmolested, ie I do not have to set it as a hotspot, thereby losing some functionality. The LTE unit links with the WLAN and so a number of devices can connect through it.
I am now trying to work out how a connected device could read a video/movie stored on an SD card, allowing passengers to watch movies etc. Any ideas?

#20 ·
So.... either I am 'neurone challenged', or the VW Car Stick is a no....

Not recognized says the infotainment system...

Light on the stick is green which means connected to 3g....

Will try again today but will probably have to return it, and wait for the same part number with C at the end to be availble.... On back order in the UK currently....

Would anyone out of the UK be able to check with their dealer if it is available?

Thanks. :?

#21 ·
If you haven't got the sim card in the columbus, wouldn't it be better to get something like an EE car WiFi unit and plug it into the rear cigarette lighter socket, freeing the USB slot for something else

#22 ·
erniem said:
If you haven't got the sim card in the columbus, wouldn't it be better to get something like an EE car WiFi unit and plug it into the rear cigarette lighter socket, freeing the USB slot for something else
Yup that's gonna have to be the solution. The back cigarette lighter was saved for my son's ipad to be honest, I'm gonna have to use the front one 9or the boot?), but it will be a messy affair of visible cables. I'm on the OCD spectrum when it comes to cables... :?

#23 ·
Anyone trying to connect using cars sticks etc tried viewing the online manuals?
Shows how to connect to the Columbus and Amundsen units.

#25 ·
Alfue said:
Thanks very much it is the Columbus not sure what SIM card or sdcard to use I am not that up to date with the techno stuff to be honest so any non confusing help would be Appreciated
Thanks Alan
SIM Card - a standard size SIM (i.e. not Micro or Nano)

Three do one with 12Gb data allowance that lasts 12 months for £40

SD Cards - a standard size SD, or a micro-SD in an adapter - I've used sizes up to 128Gb OK in previous generation MIB units, format them as ex-FAT or FAT32 on a PC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.