Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner

Rear disc and pads gubbed

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Colin Lambert 
#1 ·
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Tread Rim
As I am a mechanical idiot so could somebody please give me some words of wisdom, both my rear discs as they are heavily scored, pitted and the front face seems to be falling off In areas after only 16k miles?

The pads (according to the AA man Skoda sent out - pressing that button works) have between 2-3k worth of miles on them And it's safe to drive. There has been no metal to metal contact.

I think others here have also had issues with read pads and disks before so anyone who has, could you let me know what the resolution was. I have been told it's safe to drive but I don't think it's worth a risk as it's making a hell of a racket when braking. I think I saw that there was supposed to be a bad batch of discs or something, please point me to that information if it exists.

I have spoken to Skoda UK Who did as expected quoted the warranty only covering first 6 months, wear and tear etc. It's being reviewed higher up their food chain at the moment but I don't have mush hope.

The car is in at the dealer on Friday for inspection (they decided not to charge me for this.... generous....not) and I am guessing there will be the same not under warranty discussion but I am of the opinion that rear disks and brakes are good fir hell of allot more miles that 16k, may last Kodiaq was over 40k and no sign of them disintegrating like this.

Price originally quoted was £359.73 to replace but reduced to £280 as I'm a valued customer. I honestly think this is an acceptable wear and tear, I can also get them fitted for nearly 50% of that cost and why would I want their discs and pads used anyway as I am convinced they are crap quality.

Not happy to be fair.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I wouldn't be happy either but I certainly wouldn't have bothered with Skoda UK. What were you expecting? The problem ( if there is a problem ) should be addressed to the garage that sold the car. The contract is between you and them, not Skoda UK.

To fix that noise in the short term - get on to a clear road, I'd advise to defo make sure there's no other cars around, and do a couple of emergency stops from 30mph. That should get rid of the excess crap and stop the noisy brakes. If you get new brakes, I'd still say it's a good idea to do an emergency stop every so often, especially if its VW group parts that go back on your car, as it removes the surface rust.

Regarding the warranty - yes 16k is very short but there are so many factors that influence wear then it's very unlikely they'll be covered by warranty. They may offer a goodwill gesture tho if your a regular customer. If I were to take a guess, I'll say your dealer will blame lockdown, that's to say the car wasn't moving for long periods of time. Is your car garaged or does it sit outside? If it was sittling outside not being used for a while that could well have affected the pads / discs. If you have time to spare, go look at the used VAG cars sitting on any Audi / VW / Seat / Skoda forecourt and look at the condition of the brakes. If you're lucky, you might see a transporter of brand new cars being delivered. Those cars will have their hub centre caps removed - just look at the rust on brand new cars!

If I were to have the pads / discs replaced I wouldn't want VW replacement parts, personally I'd have the work carried out by a 3rd party using any branded parts with a good reputation.

I do not agree with your attitude that it's a given the garage offers you a free inspection. If it's not warranty work then they have every right to charge you for their time. They'll be checking your car free of charge as a goodwill gesture. They're only trying to help.

#3 ·
Jay cee!!
When I first looked at your pic I thought the outer circumference had cracked away , but obviously it is the shield behind.
If I remember correctly you live in Scotland, don't you? Near the coast??
It looks to me like salt water corrosion.
The rim is unbelievable at such low mileage.
If the disc thickness has plenty of meat left (which it should do at 16K,) your cheapest option, assuming that Skoda won't help, would be to have them skimmed. But if they are a dodgy lot, it would only recur.

Shame you are a 'Mechanical idiot' . Your words, not mine. Removing the discs is not that difficult and you could then find a local machine shop who would probably skim them for £50 or less. Do you have a mechanically minded chum that might remove/refit them for a bottle of single malt??

Otherwise I would agree with JamieK. go to a decent local garage and get some decent discs fitted.

Skoda do have a poor record with their outside suppliers.
Years ago they ran out of DSGs then Pan rooves. (or ROOFS if you are younger!!) They have also had a duff load of Yeti rear wipers in the past, etc etc .
Have a look here
https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/spare-parts/skoda/brake-discs/kodiaq-ns7.html
Brembo would be the 'dogs', ( about £35. Others from £22).
Good luck. Let us know what happens please, for the benefit of others.

#4 ·
Colin Lambert said:
Jay cee!!
When I first looked at your pic I thought the outer circumference had cracked away , but obviously it is the shield behind.
If I remember correctly you live in Scotland, don't you? Near the coast??
It looks to me like salt water corrosion.
The rim is unbelievable at such low mileage.
If the disc thickness has plenty of meat left (which it should do at 16K,) your cheapest option, assuming that Skoda won't help, would be to have them skimmed. But if they are a dodgy lot, it would only recur.

Shame you are a 'Mechanical idiot' . Your words, not mine. Removing the discs is not that difficult and you could then find a local machine shop who would probably skim them for £50 or less. Do you have a mechanically minded chum that might remove/refit them for a bottle of single malt??

Otherwise I would agree with JamieK. go to a decent local garage and get some decent discs fitted.

Skoda do have a poor record with their outside suppliers.
Years ago they ran out of DSGs then Pan rooves. (or ROOFS if you are younger!!) They have also had a duff load of Yeti rear wipers in the past, etc etc .
Have a look here
https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/spare-parts/skoda/brake-discs/kodiaq-ns7.html
Brembo would be the 'dogs', ( about £35. Others from £22).
Good luck. Let us know what happens please, for the benefit of others.
Correct I live in Scotland but not near the coast. The car has been used daily and as the previous Kodiaq was parked and driven on the same roads for twice as long without issue, I feel this is not down to how it's been used. Like I said I had plenty of life on the old one after 40k Miles.

There is no way I will be having their standard parts used unless it's under warranty. Although I'm not a mechanic I have seen many worn discs over the years but these are usually showing damage due to wear and tear and sometimes metal to metal contact when pads are worn. On both discs there are significant areas which are just falling away which suggests to me it's a casting fault during manufacture (you can clearly see the subsurface of the casting showing through some areas of the surface, some of these pits are at least 0.5-0.75mm deep and over 1cm in diameter, that's the bit I cannot understand. If this is the case then skimming them is just delaying the inevitable as it will just reoccur and I will need new pads anyway.

I know a few people who could look at doing it but I believe, rightly of wrongly, you have to do something to disengage the automatic brakes via the OBD, which I doubt they can do easily so it's really a job for a mechanic. The local garage who has a good reputation is cheaper than Skoda and will fit better parts, a friend is a mobile mechanic and is 50% cheaper and will fit quality parts.

I guess the point here is that this is not what I consider 'expected' wear and tear for a Modern car, based on this should it cost you (at Skoda prices) £359.73 per year on rear brakes alone? I think not.

For me these items are either a manufacturing fault or not fit for purpose, as the previous ones were fit for purpose and lasted over £40k miles then I am going for faulty components.

To the response earlier, yes it's worth getting Skoda UK involved as I have had to on every other warranty claim I have made (2 on my last Kodiaq - door edge protectors and Moll defective battery). Dealers don't like repairing under warranty as they make less money and from experience are very reluctant to accept liability. In terms of having an attitude towards rye cost of inspecting it, sorry but all they will do it visually inspect them, 5 minute job, every independent garage I know would do this free of charge as it's 'good service'.

#5 ·
That's ok, don't mention it. I don't mind spending time doing the research to help you solve the problem ;) :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.