Dash Cams

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
Murphy3

Dash Cams

Post by Murphy3 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:38 pm

Just wondering if any one has experience of getting a dash cam installed?

Have read the comments that the 12v sockets are permanently live I'd be looking for an alternative solution, and to avoid having any visible wires.

Have seen the following at Halfords, and was wondering if anyone had used them for a dash cam installation

http://www.halfords.com/technology/dash ... ing-bundle

Thanks in advance
1.4TSI 4X4 DSG Edition in Brilliant Silver, Adaptive cruise control, front parking sensors, rear view camera and Children's pack.
Location- Leeds
Collected 11th May

Gizmo68

Re: Dash Cams

Post by Gizmo68 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:08 pm

I have fitted more than I care to remember (certainly into double figures)

If you are on Briskoda then there are several very good walkthroughs in the Octavia, Yeti and Superb forums.

I posted a reply in the 12v Sockets thread Colin started ( viewtopic.php?f=8&t=383 ) showing how it may be possible to convert the OE 12v sockets to ignition fed, personally I do not do them this way though as I think it’s a messy way of doing it (having wires and plugs all over the car)
VCDS & VCP - PM me if you want coding done

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:50 pm

This THE man to look at for Dash cams. I have the Vantrue N1.
It is tiny, hardly shows through the windscreen and has a superb picture quality. See his review and others
http://www.techmoan.com/blog/category/car-dvr-dashcams
ModeratorSE L.1.5DSG. Emerald green. S/s spare, Paddles, f&r sensors, rear camera. KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

Gizmo68

Post by Gizmo68 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:08 pm

Oh and I wouldn’t trust Halfords to fit an air freshener let alone anything electrical / mechanical etc!
VCDS & VCP - PM me if you want coding done

Felix442

Post by Felix442 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:01 pm

I've fitted a few, YouTube is a great resource for information, just take your time and wires are usually very easy to hide in carpeting, headlining and trim.
Ordered on March 4th Parks of Hamilton SE L 1.4 (150) dsg 4x4 business grey

Savage

Post by Savage » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:41 pm

As Gizmo said !
Looks like similar to Octavia for Kodiaq, just an extra damping bracket in the glovebox on the K.
I have an E-prance mini 0805 which I bought as I liked its small (and therefore hard to see) size. Picture Q is perfectly acceptable and cost reasonable, though their are probably better ones out now.
Superb 280 4x4 Sportline in Black Magic.

Lord Muck

Post by Lord Muck » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:01 pm

I always buy genuine Eprance dash cams... have one in each car... this happened to me last year. The ladies husband a London barrister tried to blame me for going in the back of her... insurance company found her at fault.

Not bad footage for a £20 dash cam

https://youtu.be/XrBJA4PE3G4
1.4TSI Kodiaq SE 4x4 7 seats manual.. build week 23 5/6/17
Extras are window blinds, driver mode, colour computer, reversing camera and a spare wheel.

I swear way too much, apparently the use of colourful metaphors is frowned on in polite society!

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:38 am

Assuming not many members will be driving their cars outside Europe this may prove useful for those of you who venture onto the wrong side of the road!! ;) Be aware of those countries where Dash cams are ILLEGAL!

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2018/08/us ... in-europe/
OR
https://gb.snooper.eu/blog/can-i-use-my ... in-europe/
Just out of interest, can our 'upside down' friends advise regarding the southern hemisphere?
ModeratorSE L.1.5DSG. Emerald green. S/s spare, Paddles, f&r sensors, rear camera. KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

Pink72

Post by Pink72 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:51 pm

I have a Vicovation Opia 2. Year old now. No issue at all. Installed myself. If you value your car do not get Halfords to touch it ..
Kodiaq 2.0tdi 190 4x4 DSG quartz metallic - canton, heated steering wheel, screen & rear seats, ambient light, media cmd, personalisation drive mode, front parking sensors, tri zone climate control, vico opia2 cash cam, Thule wingbars.

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”