Electric hand bake high speed application and handbrake turn!!

All Skoda Kodiaq related discussions
Colin Lambert

Electric hand bake high speed application and handbrake turn!!

Post by Colin Lambert » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:28 am

Top Gear electric hand brake in a golf.
Just in case any of you are wondering...... following a query from Karoq Forum.
ModeratorEdition .1.5DSG. Petrol Blue. S/s spare, Cream leather KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

Marinfullsuss

Re: Electric hand bake high speed application and handbrake turn!!

Post by Marinfullsuss » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:45 am

I was wondering about this. For example, could (hypothetically speaking) an inquisitive grandson in the passenger seat apply the parking brake (with very little effort) such that I might lose control of the car? It seems the answer is no. Would the same apply if the road was wet, I wonder?
SE Technology, 5 seats, 150 TDi, manual, 4WD, candy white, towbar, adaptive cruise control, rear camera, Amundsen sat nav, front & rear parking sensors, space saver wheel

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:59 am

Find a large, wet, empty car park and try it...... :o
If you do, please let us know!
ModeratorEdition .1.5DSG. Petrol Blue. S/s spare, Cream leather KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
[color=#00

Marinfullsuss

Post by Marinfullsuss » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:55 am

Colin Lambert wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:59 am
Find a large, wet, empty car park and try it...... :o
If you do, please let us know!
I'm sure there's a braver person out there than me.... :o :D
SE Technology, 5 seats, 150 TDi, manual, 4WD, candy white, towbar, adaptive cruise control, rear camera, Amundsen sat nav, front & rear parking sensors, space saver wheel

old man

Post by old man » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:15 am

I brought this very scenario up in May and all of the replies (except the one from scratch113 who pointed out this video) reckoned their car would come to a very abrupt stop when the EPB was applied.
So, are all VAG cars created equal or will our Skoda react differently to that Golf ? Who is willing to try it at speed ? :o

Daggerit

Post by Daggerit » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:39 am

A friends A8 did a full emergency stop when we applied it at 40mph. I cant tell how hard that Golf is really braking but this A8 felt like you'd struggle to stop much faster applying the brakes as normal. That was an early version of the electronic handbrake though so I don't know if parameters for them have been changed since then as well.
On order: Business Grey MY20 1.5 TSI Manual SE L with Family Pack and Heated Windscreen

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:42 am

SInce so much is common between the VAG 'cousins' I would assume that the electric handbrake would be identical throughout the range.
There is a large flat car park near me, by the beach so empty at night.
I'm happy to creep out one night when its dark and try an emergency straight line stop, but I'm NOT going to risk a handbrake turn, since I will never need to do it, I ain't going to risk it. :o
[color=#00

old man

Post by old man » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:53 am

We need to remember that Top Gear did this on a traffic free runway, so not a real world scenario. I'd like to see the same thing done with another car following closely behind to see if that car could avoid Chris Harris when he applies the EPB.
I seem to remember reading somewhere, that if you use the EPB for an emergency stop, you should pull it up and hold it there and that's what Mr Harris does. What would happen if you just flicked it up and then let go, would it have the same effect ?
I just had a chat with a very level headed guy at my dealer who used to be the workshop manager. He said that he would never use the EPB for an emergency brake on a trafficked road because it would stop you far too quickly for the following car to avoid you and would likely cause a pile up on the motorway.
Colin; Don't let this stop you having a go :D :o

Zach

Post by Zach » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:06 am

Marinfullsuss wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:45 am
I was wondering about this. For example, could (hypothetically speaking) an inquisitive grandson in the passenger seat apply the parking brake (with very little effort) such that I might lose control of the car? It seems the answer is no. Would the same apply if the road was wet, I wonder?
To use the 'emergency braking' function of the EPB, you must hold it up. The car won't lock up but it bloody tugs the anchors that's for sure.
SOLD! BW32 2017 Kodiaq 190TDI Style 5 Seater in Quartz Grey + Sirius rims, 5yr Warranty, Sunroof, Sleep Pack, Rear Heated Seats, Driver Profiles
BW35 2019 Kodiaq RS 5 seater in Brilliant Silver + Ignite rims, Sunroof, Direct TPMS, Acoustic Windows

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:23 am

Old Man,
I think you just 'tickle' the switch to do a handbrake turn. As Zach says, as I understand it, to do an emergency stop you have to pull it up and hang onto it.
As far as someone rear ending you, apart from the inconvenience, the car that rear ends you is automatically at fault in the U.K. So his insurance has to pay.
I think that the only real danger may be if you are going round a fairly sharp bend and do an ES you just might roll it, or loose it rather than just stopping 'nicely.'
[color=#00

Return to “Main Skoda Kodiaq chat”